Former Marine Detained over Facebook posts

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    I'm all for actual threats being investigated, but you're wading into dangerous territory when you start suggesting that just because someone says something that you think is crazy, he deserves to be investigated or committed for psychiatric evaluation. It deeply troubles me that an American citizen can be taken away by law enforcement because someone thought he was a nutjob and reported him for what he posted on Facebook. Again, if he made actual threats against specific individuals, then by all means, get to the bottom of it. But as far as I know, there are no laws that give the government the right to hold you against your will for saying things that some random person thought were strange. I've posted a lot of anti-government thoughts on my Facebook page. And I'd have a real problem with someone reporting me to the authorities just because they personally believed I was dangerous for having a different opinion of government than they do. Hitler used these "tattle on your neighbor" tactics to take over Germany once upon a time.

Earlier this week, I read a story about a Muslim group hosting a prayer gathering in a city park. On the group's website, someone posted a comment about how he/she was going to show up at the park and "do something with a fat pig," referring, of course, to the fact that Muslims are forbidden from eating pork. Personally, I found it to be ridiculous, hateful, and completely unnecessary ... but not illegal. In the article I read, local law enforcement said they were investigating the username of the person who posted the offensive comment on the group's website, hoping to find out who the person is. Why? Is posting something offensive on the Internet now a crime? I'm not saying I agree with what the person did, but why is law enforcement investigating someone who hasn't broken any laws? I'm suddenly reminded of Robert Kennedy hammering away at law enforcement officials in the south back in the '60s when black people were being arrested because law enforcement thought they were ABOUT to break the law.

They are investigating who that person is because someone left bacon all over the benches in the park the morning of the prayer gathering. (If this is the Staten Island case.)
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    His posts mirror many of my friends. Far be it from me to scoff at conspiracy theorists or patriots, calling for a revolution is vague and often rhetoric. I don't have time to read his entire page, but if he is in no way advocating for violence, then what is the problem? Peaceful revolutions happen all the time. Even if he's wrong about everything, even if he is an idiot, last time I checked, it was still legal to be a douche bag.
    That's the thing, though, Adrian. The allegation is that what is currently represented on his page is NOT what was reported. The allegation is that he was making direct threats about violence toward the public and that those posts have since been deleted.

Oh, well then **** him. One, for advocating violence. Second...for putting it on the internet.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Mandy, have you read through that page? All of it?

He's been committed for a 30-day psychiatric evaluation. It's not like he's been renditioned to a black site in the Balkans.

Also, it has been alleged repeatedly, in several places,that what's left on the site is NOT what was there all along, that the site has been sanitized by the family of direct threats to the public which had grown more violent and numerous in the days leading up to his arrest. Someone reported it.

Yes, I have. I may not agree with everything he had to say but I can't just someone for the way they word their feelings. I've also seen the page and comments that got him arrested. Like I said, I have a few friends on my facebook that say similiar things what this guy did. One of them has dedicated his life to educating people on the corruption of our government. I don't believe everything he posts, I personally, wouldn't say some of the things he says but he has the right to free speech, That is the whole point of all of this.

What corruption do you speak of? I really want to know what kind of corruption exists in our governmental system because I've lived in 3rd world countries where corruption is evident in every single aspect of life. From paying off school officials to let a boy who never goes to school but has wealthy parents, for a diploma up to the authorities that ask for a bribe in order to say that you paid your taxes. People throw the notion of corruption around so loosely in this country.

Regarding the marine, have you notice the poor psychological help that is offered to military with post traumatic stress disorder? It's really inefficient to say the least. I don't see all the crap he is spewing any different than all the other people who keep posting about how they will keep their guns or people making videos about 9./11 conspiracy theories.

You want me to point out corruption in the US government? This this a joke?

In the past 3 years there have been NINE incidents/scandals involving members of congress and white house staff resulting in impeachments, resignations or jail time. From money laundering, selling guns to criminals, leaking information to private agencies, tampering with witness testimony, tax evasion and sexual harassment. Not to mention the laws and policies put in place that are completely illegal according to our Constitution: The Patriot Act, Obamacare and NDAA.

And in regards to your last statement, What he is saying is really NO different than things us 'gun toting' folk say or what the conspiracy theory people say. But those people get to say it because of the first amendment, so why is this person jailed without his Miranda rights? There is corruption for ya.
  • fbmandy55
    His posts mirror many of my friends. Far be it from me to scoff at conspiracy theorists or patriots, calling for a revolution is vague and often rhetoric. I don't have time to read his entire page, but if he is in no way advocating for violence, then what is the problem? Peaceful revolutions happen all the time. Even if he's wrong about everything, even if he is an idiot, last time I checked, it was still legal to be a douche bag.
    That's the thing, though, Adrian. The allegation is that what is currently represented on his page is NOT what was reported. The allegation is that he was making direct threats about violence toward the public and that those posts have since been deleted.

Even from his deleted posts, there was nothings specific that would classify him as a threat or a terrorist. He is being investigated for terrorism! He never posted a single word of what he would do or a plan of action. His did post what some would believe to be poetic phrases about 'sharpening a sword and bringing down a hammer' or it's 'time to start the revolution" and listing where he lived but he never once said anything specific that would pose a threat to this country. Every single thing he posted that is being investigated was extremely patriotic, yet anti-government..
  • fbmandy55
    I'm all for actual threats being investigated, but you're wading into dangerous territory when you start suggesting that just because someone says something that you think is crazy, he deserves to be investigated or committed for psychiatric evaluation. It deeply troubles me that an American citizen can be taken away by law enforcement because someone thought he was a nutjob and reported him for what he posted on Facebook. Again, if he made actual threats against specific individuals, then by all means, get to the bottom of it. But as far as I know, there are no laws that give the government the right to hold you against your will for saying things that some random person thought were strange. I've posted a lot of anti-government thoughts on my Facebook page. And I'd have a real problem with someone reporting me to the authorities just because they personally believed I was dangerous for having a different opinion of government than they do. Hitler used these "tattle on your neighbor" tactics to take over Germany once upon a time.

Earlier this week, I read a story about a Muslim group hosting a prayer gathering in a city park. On the group's website, someone posted a comment about how he/she was going to show up at the park and "do something with a fat pig," referring, of course, to the fact that Muslims are forbidden from eating pork. Personally, I found it to be ridiculous, hateful, and completely unnecessary ... but not illegal. In the article I read, local law enforcement said they were investigating the username of the person who posted the offensive comment on the group's website, hoping to find out who the person is. Why? Is posting something offensive on the Internet now a crime? I'm not saying I agree with what the person did, but why is law enforcement investigating someone who hasn't broken any laws? I'm suddenly reminded of Robert Kennedy hammering away at law enforcement officials in the south back in the '60s when black people were being arrested because law enforcement thought they were ABOUT to break the law.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Has anyone here been reading up on Brandon Raub? The former Marine and who is currently being detained for posting his opinions on facebook? https://www.facebook.com/groups/188319494633640/

I know some of his posts are whacky and honestly, I have several friends who post similar things. Saying you are going to lead a revolution does not qualify you as a terrorist! They are sick of the corruption of this government and are trying to make a stand. We have American citizens being killed by our own drones, American citizens being jailed for their right to free speech. Our Constitution is meaningless to our leaders and the people have NO control over the government.. Tell me why no one is doing anything about it?

I swear the more I see happening in this world the more I am starting to feel like I'm living the plot of V for Vendetta....

I can't look up Facebook here at work, but... Do you know what G.I stands for. Government Issue. When you are in the military, you have signed a contract and are expected to adhere to a stringent military standard. The expectation is even greater as a Marine. The motto "Semper Fidelis" means "Always Faithful".

There has been no draft for 40 years, so he apparently joined of his own free will. He needs to live up to the standards of the Marine Corps or get out.

When will people learn not to post every dumbass thought that passes through their mind on FB? It's not like this is the first time it has bitten someone in the a ss.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Even from his deleted posts, there was nothings specific that would classify him as a threat or a terrorist. He is being investigated for terrorism! He never posted a single word of what he would do or a plan of action. His did post what some would believe to be poetic phrases about 'sharpening a sword and bringing down a hammer' or it's 'time to start the revolution" and listing where he lived but he never once said anything specific that would pose a threat to this country. Every single thing he posted that is being investigated was extremely patriotic, yet anti-government.
    When was the first you heard about Brandon?
  • fbmandy55
    Has anyone here been reading up on Brandon Raub? The former Marine and who is currently being detained for posting his opinions on facebook? https://www.facebook.com/groups/188319494633640/

I know some of his posts are whacky and honestly, I have several friends who post similar things. Saying you are going to lead a revolution does not qualify you as a terrorist! They are sick of the corruption of this government and are trying to make a stand. We have American citizens being killed by our own drones, American citizens being jailed for their right to free speech. Our Constitution is meaningless to our leaders and the people have NO control over the government.. Tell me why no one is doing anything about it?

I swear the more I see happening in this world the more I am starting to feel like I'm living the plot of V for Vendetta....

I can't look up Facebook here at work, but... Do you know what G.I stands for. Government Issue. When you are in the military, you have signed a contract and are expected to adhere to a stringent military standard. The expectation is even greater as a Marine. The motto "Semper Fidelis" means "Always Faithful".

There has been no draft for 40 years, so he apparently joined of his own free will. He needs to live up to the standards of the Marine Corps or get out.

When will people learn not to post every dumbass thought that passes through their mind on FB? It's not like this is the first time it has bitten someone in the a ss.

He is a FORMER Marine. As is no-longer in the military.

Roaddog, did you not swear to uphold the constitution? So when the the Federal Government stops doing so, does that void your oath to protect the people and the constitution?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    While he may be "former"... and I may be getting this wrong, so those that have been or are in the military please correct me if I am as I am going off of memory from my dad('s) and my friends.... but I believe for so long after an honorable discharge, he may be called back. So perhaps he was within that time frame. And there is always the "once a Marine, always a Marine"... My father was a Marine... and in many senses he still is.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I don't know that he's a terrorist, but he clearly is mentally unstable.

There is probably some truth in what he says, but the Bushes raping and sacrificing children in Colorado? Even if you hate the Bushes, that's a little far-fetched.
  • fbmandy55
    Even from his deleted posts, there was nothings specific that would classify him as a threat or a terrorist. He is being investigated for terrorism! He never posted a single word of what he would do or a plan of action. His did post what some would believe to be poetic phrases about 'sharpening a sword and bringing down a hammer' or it's 'time to start the revolution" and listing where he lived but he never once said anything specific that would pose a threat to this country. Every single thing he posted that is being investigated was extremely patriotic, yet anti-government.
    When was the first you heard about Brandon?

Since the news story broke. One of my friends posted a link to an article. I really like this story here, it shows the support of his family,his fellow Marines and retired soldiers standing behind him. They sinple say :charge him with a crime or let him go.
    http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/citizen-warrior/2012/aug/22/can-government-detain-you-over-facebook-posts/

Is it a coincidence that the statements he posted that were removed from his account were done so in September-November of last year, yet nothing was done to him until after NDAA was signed this summer, allowing US citizens to be detained without cause or trial?
  • fbmandy55

There is probably some truth in what he says, but the Bushes raping and sacrificing children in Colorado? Even if you hate the Bushes, that's a little far-fetched.

Why is he mentally unstable? Because YOU disagree with his statements? So now if someone has a belief or opinion that differs from others you are mentally unstable... I have friends who believe that 9/11 was an inside job and that our government is run by Illuminati, does that make them mentally ill?
  • TheRoadDog

He is a FORMER Marine. As is no-longer in the military.

Roaddog, did you not swear to uphold the constitution? So when the the Federal Government stops doing so, does that void your oath to protect the people and the constitution?

I'm not in total agreement or disagreement. I'm a little on the fience myself, but.... FORMER Marine? When you joined the company you belong to, did you not sign a "Disclosure Agreement"? I did. Most people do. Marines do. I looked this story up and he did actually say some pretty bizarre stuff. Some could be construed as borderline terrorist comments. As for "Free Speech". It doesn't exist. Only in theory. Heck, I could, or you, can go on any thread here and shut it down, by making remarks that should fall under the guise of "Free Speech. Sometimes people need to show some restraint.

--to K8blujay2 -- when you join, you are obligated to 6 years. So if you are active for 4 years, you are still in the inactive reserve for 2 more years. And you're right. "Once a Marine, Always a Marine. I was a Marine. So was my Father. So was his Father. Semper Fi.
  • fbmandy55
    While he may be "former"... and I may be getting this wrong, so those that have been or are in the military please correct me if I am as I am going off of memory from my dad('s) and my friends.... but I believe for so long after an honorable discharge, he may be called back. So perhaps he was within that time frame. And there is always the "once a Marine, always a Marine"... My father was a Marine... and in many senses he still is.

“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I fail to see how he is not honoring his oath.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Why is he mentally unstable? Because YOU disagree with his statements? So now if someone has a belief or opinion that differs from others you are mentally unstable... I have friends who believe that 9/11 was an inside job and that our government is run by Illuminati, does that make them mentally ill?

Yes.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Since the news story broke.
    What was the date when you were made aware of this?
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member

“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else.” -Theodore Roosevelt

So, you believe that the Bush's have a castle in Colorado where they ritually rape children?
  • fbmandy55

So, you believe that the Bush's have a castle in Colorado where they ritually rape children?

No I don't and I don't have to agree according to a lost piece of paper called the Constitution. I'm supposed to have the freedom to believe what I want.

I have know people to think crazier things and not be detained for saying them or posting them on facebook.
  • TheRoadDog

Yes.

He may or may not be unstable, but, he made some dumba ss comments and put himself under the scrutiny of the Feds. Maybe he should be, maybe he shouldn't, but maybe sometimes a person should use a little discretion.

If a person wants to pick a fight with the Federal Government and then hide behind their constitutional rights, well, good luck. Seems like a fruitless endeavor.
  • fbmandy55
    Since the news story broke.
    What was the date when you were made aware of this?

It looks like my friend posted the original story I read last Friday.