Whats the 1 thing?

Options
ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
What's the 1 thing that you have struggled letting go of during your journey? Have you conquered it or are you still trying to let go? For me it's salt!!! I love salt and seasoning...not sure if I will ever let go of this one. Chocolate is easier than salt for me!!!! :noway:

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Salt is one of my vomit foods, gross I know, but if the sodium is too high my tummy revolts and there is nothing I can do about it. Pepper also seems to hate me now and I loved a good coarse crack before surgery. Basically we have to careful when I eat out and we go a little light on the seasoning or use herbal alternatives to bring out the flavor.

I have my own food weakness though they were mostly pre-surgery. I loved my soda, I could never control myself around chips and salsa and all things potato. I've overcome the cravings for soda after a cold turkey cut off the day I started the pre-surgery liver shrinking diet, I reintroduced chips and salsa but seem to have the ability to stop at 5-7 chips now, and the potato and I have an understanding that I can eat some mashed about once a week but the fry, the baked, the scalloped, the hash, the chip, and whatever other form is lurking must be saved for special occasions so I don't become a carb junkie again.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    For me? Carbs....they are the devil's creation sent to derail me at every opportunity! :laugh:
  • win4ecu
    win4ecu Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    DIET COKE! I don't crave it all of the time but when I do, it's so hard to keep my mind off of it. Thankfully I haven't caved yet.
  • JillSara
    JillSara Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Soda for sure is still my enemy. I still struggle with it being 16 weeks out.
  • win4ecu
    win4ecu Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    oh and Nutella........I really miss nutella!
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    sugar and all it's friends... I was looking forward (almost) to dumping due to sugar... no luck at all!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    At 4 years out, I can pretty much eat anything so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. If want something, I have it. I just don't have it everyday like I used to. I used to be a huge stress eater but now I exercise instead.
  • Gahummingbyrd
    Options
    COOKIES! Yep, I was a cookie monster. Don't eat them at all now.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Soda for sure is still my enemy. I still struggle with it being 16 weeks out.

I'm not a huge soda drinker, but sometimes in social situations you want to "look" like you are joining in... pour your soda from up high into the glass, slowly, and once the fizz is gone, it's flat, and seeing as I don't mind flat pop, it works for me! Just make sure you go sugar and caffeine free, and you can have some now and again.
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't have troubles staying away from sweets or carbs. I do miss Macaroni and cheese, though. I used to eat that like crazy! Pasta was a staple in my diet pre-op. I REALLY miss coffee. I just want to blend up a nice iced caramel macchiato SOOO badly! I was told to wait until my 6th month to start drinking decaf coffee, so I still have 3 months. HALFWAY THERE!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I can have a little of the sweet stuff. If I have too much, I go nuts and eat everything in sight.
  • lamcnenly
    lamcnenly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Soda, no question, but luckily I don't even think about it anymore.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Soda - a Diet Coke or Pepsi. Really hard at work as we have free soda. I also miss chocolate. Also have a ton of it all around at work. And I am a major stress eater and used to drain the M&M bowl when tired and stressed. Been soda and choco free for over three months and it keeps reminding myself not to to go there.
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    Potato chips
  • Teenalou
    Teenalou Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I miss pasta dishes. Thought I would miss sodas, but that hasn't been a problem at all. The biggest challenge is not so much which foods, but the timing of eating, then avoiding fluids for an hour.
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    cauliflower and cheese is a pretty good "faux mac n cheese"
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ya I do a lot of vegetables and cheese. And I know cauliflower is a good substitute for pasta type dishes. I made cauliflower crust pizza as well a few times. I love looking at all the WLS friendly recipes online. I just don't have a working oven at the moment, so I'm pretty limited as to what I can make :(
  • calicat40
    calicat40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    miss my carbs a lot. especially when hubby makes biscuits. Oh I do love bread. I picked one up the other day and just smelled it. Oh lord it was heavenly to smell it. lol
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    OMG - so many have said CARBS - ME also - every form- from pretzels, crackers, chips, cereals, rice, breads etc.... Can't eat just one and be done... it's psycho crazy effect on my brain depresses me to no end. I don't have any of it at my house - but if I go out.... I'm out of control! why why why!!!! there has to be an answer!!!! :mad:
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    REAL SLICES OF BREAD!!!! :(