Anyone with a lot of weight to lose doing Insanity?

Options
Could be that I have a skewed view, but I have never seen or heard of many obese people who do the Beachbody workouts. I guess I'll be one of the few. Any others out there? I'm starting tomorrow.

Replies

• tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I started out with a BMI of 32.5, the low end of obese, but obese nonetheless.
    With the help of being more disciplined on my diet and doing Insanity, I've dropped down to 29.9, no longer obese!
    Good luck, and hope it went ok for you today.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I busy losing about 48lbs. You should start today as the schedule says ;)
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I saw a video chat with Shaun T where he mentioned one person that started Insanity that was between 3 and 4 hundred pounds. They have done it.. He mentoned a few folks that were pretty high on the weight scale have done it. Of course, he said some modifications on some of the moves might be necessary, but, to answer your question, it has been done quite a few times..
    Good luck with it!!! If you are looking for Insanity Friends, please feel free to hit me up.. You can never have too many sitting people in your cheering section. :)
    Dale
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    True that, some exercises are nearly impossible in the beginning but i used to get really upset by that thinking, "dudes you are all in great shape, this move isnt for someone with a belly in the way" but now i don't care, if i can't do the exercise i just do another one that i can do and when they finish i'll pick up the sessions.
  • jpappal
    jpappal Posts: 2
    Options
    I am teetering on obese and I started 2 weeks ago. Please do not despair at your initial results as I did. I wanted to cry the first week when I gained five pounds. You hear the broken records in internet-land telling you that muscle weighs more than fat but no one gains five pounds in muscle in one week. So remember, when you first start, you are going to gain weight because your muscles, like mine, probably are not prepared for the unrelenting pummeling you are about to do to them. They are going to freak out, they are going to hurt unlike anything you can imagine, and they are going to retain bum-loads of fluids for at least a week. This is going to make you want to throw the scale out the window and quit the program but I swear to you it goes away! Most people get over the soreness in the first couple of days, but I did not get over it until about day 12. And when the muscle soreness decreased the extra water weight also went down. I'm a girl, I understand the concept of water retention, but the extent to which I experienced it with Insanity was Baananaaas. I just don't want you to get discouraged and give up before you even really get started. You can feel yourself getting stronger and healthier in just the first few days. I've been reading Insanity threads like crack trying to keep motivated and now I am finally contributing my own because, thank-you-my-lucky-stars, I finally weigh less today!!! SCoRE!
  • STLWaffles
    Options
    I started out at 235@6'0, I am now down to 225. The only problem is I have been holding at the 225 for a bit now, this is still obese by BMI standards. But I am losing inches on the waist(unscientific measurement using belt holes). I also have somewhat of a large frame and my stomach is starting to flatten out. I have an odd feeling I will never get below the overweight line, but if I am overweight and have good muscle tone I wont complain.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    I busy losing about 48lbs. You should start today as the schedule says ;)

Eh, I usually start my week for food and weigh-in on Monday. I like my Sunday rest day. lol

Thank you everyone for letting me know I'm not alone.
  • STLWaffles
    Options
    FYI your screen name got that song stuck in my head(hopefully it was from the song)
  • bikingpanda
    bikingpanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am starting today and still have a ways to go. Good luck!
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Holy crap that was rough! Especially right after I did some lifting. The jump moves were the hardest for me. Only got 4 Globe Jumps and 6 Suicide Jumps. Had to modify down the Push-Up Planks to just kneeling push-ups for now. Looking forward to improving.
    FYI your screen name got that song stuck in my head(hopefully it was from the song)

Lol, yes! Yes it is!
  • ukcookie
    ukcookie Posts: 11
    Options
    Could be that I have a skewed view, but I have never seen or heard of many obese people who do the Beachbody workouts. I guess I'll be one of the few. Any others out there? I'm starting tomorrow.

Your not alone I am trying to lose 104LB I'm a huge 39.0 on the BMI and 39% body fat
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Just did the 2nd day and I don't think I'm cut out for this. =/ All the high impact is hurting my messed up ankle, and all but the basketball drills of the last circuit I couldn't even come close to being able to do them.
  • Ammi13
    Ammi13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with your doctor or talked to them before starting? I highly reccomend it. I have 75 pounds to lose and have two bad kness and surgery on my ankle twice. I wanted to cry when I started Insanity and the first week couldn't do all the exercises. It is very frustrating so I understand your pain literally. Work at your own pace with it, the guys doing the drills on the screen are pros.
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor to see what he/she thinks. There are always modifications you can do for any move. Google "modifications for ___" (fill in the blank for whatever exercise you are interested in substituting). If you can't find a modification for a specific move, do something else. If you can't do jumps, do jumping jacks. If you can't do jumping jacks, do modified jacks.

I have two bad knees and there is no way I could do power jumps, etc. I would've given up a long time ago. But I just happen to have a mini trampoline and I use it with Insanity. I get on it for jogging, high knees, jumping jacks, etc. Then I move down to the floor for push ups or whatever. The trampoline takes out most, if not almost all, of the impact and allows me to do Insanity every day.

If you don't like doing modifications, there are plenty of low impact workouts out there! Find what works for you. Good luck! :smile:
  • christylynn622
    christylynn622 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    JPAPPAL- Thanks for your reply to this guy's post! I am a scale watcher but I'm going to try hard not to be while doing Insanity. Just started Tuesday and feel good so far so I don't want to get discouraged.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I am teetering on obese and I started 2 weeks ago. Please do not despair at your initial results as I did. I wanted to cry the first week when I gained five pounds. You hear the broken records in internet-land telling you that muscle weighs more than fat but no one gains five pounds in muscle in one week. So remember, when you first start, you are going to gain weight because your muscles, like mine, probably are not prepared for the unrelenting pummeling you are about to do to them. They are going to freak out, they are going to hurt unlike anything you can imagine, and they are going to retain bum-loads of fluids for at least a week. This is going to make you want to throw the scale out the window and quit the program but I swear to you it goes away! Most people get over the soreness in the first couple of days, but I did not get over it until about day 12. And when the muscle soreness decreased the extra water weight also went down. I'm a girl, I understand the concept of water retention, but the extent to which I experienced it with Insanity was Baananaaas. I just don't want you to get discouraged and give up before you even really get started. You can feel yourself getting stronger and healthier in just the first few days. I've been reading Insanity threads like crack trying to keep motivated and now I am finally contributing my own because, thank-you-my-lucky-stars, I finally weigh less today!!! SCoRE!

Thank you, thank you THANK YOU for posting this! Im in my first week and sore as heck too and gaining on the scale. Yeah...I know its water retention but still...it's hell on the mind set when you see the number increasing! So thanks again for this post!