How are baby boomers losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• BabyJago
    BabyJago Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My approach is pretty basic. I count calories, weigh myself every day and, focus on a high protein, moderate fiber, low fat diet. I also try to exercise at least 30-60 minutes day, either at my gym, using my stationary bike or walking outdoors on my lunch break. Now that I'm in my 50's (menopause UGH), I find it's even more challenging to stay my size and maintain my weight. I gave up even social drinking two years ago and almost never snack - I think those things help as well.

I've learned to choose healthier treats and have low calorie ice cream bars (Blue Bunny from WalMart makes great 70 calories bars) or I have Yoplait Light with a little lite Cool Whip for my after-dinner dessert.

There's always room in my budget for new pairs of jeans! Jeans are the most honest garment you can buy - I always know when to become more diligent in my weight battle when my jeans don't fit quite right

My Fitness Pal ensures that I'll be accountable to myself and I'm having more "good" days than "bad" days - i.e. I'm maintaining rather than gaining or weighing in on the lower end of my weight range some days.

So, there's hope! All the best to all of you! I hope my ideas help others. :smile:
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    KtS mom - Congradulations on your impressive progress!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Fastforlife. I am at the point now where everyone I see everyday, has noticed and commented on it. Just last week, my boss called me "skinny" (which I am definately not), but I can not believe how good that made me feel. I can hardly believe it myself, that I have been able to stick to this for so long. Who knew that logging in exercise and everything I eat and drink would be the key to help me commit to a life style change. MFP is a lifesaver for me. I am so thankful that I have found this website!
  • wiggywompus
    wiggywompus Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am being more physical. My husband is retired and because he has done all the things he wants during the day thinks when I get home I should sit down and spend time with him. I block book Zumba so prepay for 10 classes, same with horse riding and swimming too mean not to go as I have paid! Log my food on MFP, feel bad if I have to enter eaten something or more than I should.
  • mamawjoyce
    mamawjoyce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track,stay focused ,My husband & I are both retired & I can relate! Just stay busy maybe crafting,gardening,needlepoint, tYou can do this!ake a walk, what ever floats your boat!
  • hilary57
    hilary57 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm aiming for daily net calorie consumption of 1200. I set up MFP as "sedentary" .... which was/is honest so I track every piece of exercise including cleaning house, horseback riding, etc along with specific exercises of swimming and ellyptical which are my cardio of choice, and also strength training.

I don't have a scale ... I dislike them intensely so I'm going by measurements and how certain clothes fit. I have a long way to go to get back into my size 8 clothes! I was running back then, but running isn't comfortable for me any more. The tops of my feet BURN every time I break out into a jog. I figure it's an age thing.

Food wise ... I've cut out wheat and corn. It's dense, it's almost all genetically modified and I can live without it as a staple in my diet. My carbs are fruits and vegetables with occasional rice or potato. I try to eat seasonal and local as much as possible.

My meat all comes from one source ... a rancher about 1 hour away from me and he raises all his critters 100% natural. The beef is all grass fed. His pork is totally amazing. His chicken has hardly any "dark" meat ... the thigh and the breast are hard to tell apart once separated from the bones, and it's all quite moist and delicious. I get my eggs either from him or from a couple of friends who have real free-ranging chickens. There are a number of studies showing the health benefit of natually raised protein sources over commercial. The difference is drastic and compelling.

All my dairy is sourced from one place too ... another ranch just about 1 miles away from me. I buy raw whole milk and try and drink 8 ounces a day. The cattle are both Gurnsey and Jersey ... not a Holstein in the bunch and there is a compelling reason for this too. The studies are somewhat conflicting but all I know is that all my allergies to pollens and molds have almost entirely disappeared since drinking his milk. I can also buy pasturized milk product at his little store ... drinkable yogurt, cheese, butter and the most delicious milk caramel.

Just about every day, almost 50% or more of my calories comes from fat. But I'm losing because of the strict watch on calories. And I feel 100% better than I did two months ago. I'm actually looking forward to visiting my doctor, who I have been avoiding the past few years because deep down I knew I was going down the wrong road.

Sorry ... I can get long-winded on this subject. I'm passionate about food!!! If you made it this far, I'm impressed. :o)
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for daily net calorie consumption of 1200. I set up MFP as "sedentary" .... which was/is honest so I track every piece of exercise including cleaning house, horseback riding, etc along with specific exercises of swimming and ellyptical which are my cardio of choice, and also strength training.

I don't have a scale ... I dislike them intensely so I'm going by measurements and how certain clothes fit. I have a long way to go to get back into my size 8 clothes! I was running back then, but running isn't comfortable for me any more. The tops of my feet BURN every time I break out into a jog. I figure it's an age thing.

Food wise ... I've cut out wheat and corn. It's dense, it's almost all genetically modified and I can live without it as a staple in my diet. My carbs are fruits and vegetables with occasional rice or potato. I try to eat seasonal and local as much as possible.

My meat all comes from one source ... a rancher about 1 hour away from me and he raises all his critters 100% natural. The beef is all grass fed. His pork is totally amazing. His chicken has hardly any "dark" meat ... the thigh and the breast are hard to tell apart once separated from the bones, and it's all quite moist and delicious. I get my eggs either from him or from a couple of friends who have real free-ranging chickens. There are a number of studies showing the health benefit of natually raised protein sources over commercial. The difference is drastic and compelling.

All my dairy is sourced from one place too ... another ranch just about 1 miles away from me. I buy raw whole milk and try and drink 8 ounces a day. The cattle are both Gurnsey and Jersey ... not a Holstein in the bunch and there is a compelling reason for this too. The studies are somewhat conflicting but all I know is that all my allergies to pollens and molds have almost entirely disappeared since drinking his milk. I can also buy pasturized milk product at his little store ... drinkable yogurt, cheese, butter and the most delicious milk caramel.

Just about every day, almost 50% or more of my calories comes from fat. But I'm losing because of the strict watch on calories. And I feel 100% better than I did two months ago. I'm actually looking forward to visiting my doctor, who I have been avoiding the past few years because deep down I knew I was going down the wrong road.

Sorry ... I can get long-winded on this subject. I'm passionate about food!!! If you made it this far, I'm impressed. :o)
    I'm jealous. I'm a true believer in eating naturally raised animals - it's not only much healthier but also more humane. Unfortunately I can rarely afford grass raised beef. I do only buy pasture raised eggs from a local source. They taste much better and ha e dark orange yolks. Yum!
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I count calories do exercise and make sure to get enough proteines and Fiber, I have lost 30 prior to joining MFP but having a hard time loosing At one point I think I was not eating enough calories so after the 30 lbs lost my body went into starvation mode..so not loosing as I should. I have now upped my calories eaten per day to 1300 and I eat the exercise calories to average about 1500 calories per day of eating so I will see what happens:drinker: