Okay I'm a believer...

Options
myfitnessval
myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
Finally decided to get my head on straight and subscribe to the EM2WL mentality, because lets face it, I love food.

Here comes my newb question:

So I have my TDEE, BMR, & cut value....but now what? Do i just jump up from 1550 to the 2000+ i'm supposed to eat? or should i increase this slowly over days or weeks? Keep in mind i don't think i've totally jacked up my metabolism because 1 I have not platuead and 2 i've only been at it for 90 days, so I don't feel as if a metabolism reset is really necessary. Help a newbie out?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It up to you, some jump in all the way and others adjust upwards by some increment per week. I'd say go for it:happy:
  • myfitnessval
    Options
    either way i do it i can probably expect to gain a little though right? just trying to mentally prepare myself...and probably hide the scale for a month haha
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

This is a good thing for you to read. There are also alot of good things to read in the stickies at the front of the EM2WL group.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I agree with doing further reading. I did about 6 weeks of the 8 week reset and am doing fairly well now. I eat twice as much as I used to and am losing weight. It comes off sort of random, but it comes off none the less and my measurements are kicking serious butt! I physically could not jump from the 1350ish calories I was eating all the way to 2300 minimum I needed to eat, so I just kept trying to eat a little more each day until eventually I actually had to make sure I didn't go OVER TDEE.

Best of luck on your journey :)
  • myfitnessval
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

This is a good thing for you to read. There are also alot of good things to read in the stickies at the front of the EM2WL group.

i did read through a few of them, but i hadnt seen where if i should just jump in or work my way up. i think i'm just going to start by eating back my exercise cals and go from there...
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey there :)

Welcome to the EM2WL way of life! Some of us are literally eating double what we used to, and are still maintaining/losing.

I went from about 1200 cals a day to 2480, without increasing gradually. Honestly, the first 3 - 4 days I struggled with feeling too full and bloated, but after those initial few days I found myself absolutely ravenous, which meant that the fire of my metabolism was beginning to burn! I gained about 1.5kg to begin with but am now holding steady weight-wise (I'm doing the reset, so it's a good thing I'm maintaining my weight).

I figure - if you can do it, bite the bullet and get straight to it. Worked for me! Best of luck.
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh - I should mention: I'm cutting to 2180 on Monday and am absolutely horrified at how I'll make do with 300 less cals a day ;) This is from someone that easily netted 700 cals a day and felt full the entire day - that was as recent as June 2012!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I went straight up from 1400 to 2160 and in two weeks lost 2 lbs or so in water I think and have maintained since.
    No gain at all as yet.
    was petrified as well but jumped straight in.

It's difficult to get up there some days but have been eating peanut butter which I'm falling in love with now.

A
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've been doing EM2WL since April 23. I was coming from eating an average of 600 cals per day for YEARS!! And in those years I would lose and gain the same weight over and over. I was 200 pds on a 5 foot frame, age 51.

I could not imagine going straight to a Reset and over 2200 calories a day so I "inched up" to a Cut over a few weeks and stayed at around 1800-1900 till June 25 when I went to Reset and 2245 cals.

I did a Reset for 6 weeks and am now in Week 3 of my Cut.

That's what I did.....what I WOULD do now that I'm this far into it is:

Get to Reset as quickly as possible and bite the bullet. Since I was a VLCD for sooooo long a Reset was an order for me for certain. Prepare yourself for some weight gain and vow to STAY OFF THE SCALE for as long as humanly possible!
    The mental aspect of the whole EM2WL method goes against ALL diet thinking and might be difficult to wrap your head around.
    Keep reminding yourself that any physical or emotional discomfort you may experience will be worth it in the end.

I gained a total of 24 pounds since April but have lost almost 5 of it since going to Cut 3 weeks ago. I deliberately picked this time of year to do this since it's usually quiet and I wouldn't have to "get dressed" for anything and sure enough a funeral popped up the other day and I had to go buy a pair of suitable pants in a BIGGER size, grrrrrr! That sucked but I KNOW I will be donating them very soon!!

So, decide if you need a Reset or can go to Cut and GET THERE as quickly as possible. Stop in here often~you will need us, believe me!!