Those trying paleo, and coping with family that doesn't..

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
How do you do it? I am finding it hard to keep on track when everyone complains about what I make. I can't afford to make different meals, and even tacking on extra sides to please everyone is breaking the bank!! I didn't think that meat, veggies and such would be such a big deal, but everyone likes their dairy based sauces and noodles... I having a bad day, someone please shed some light for me!!

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    The cook rules the kitchen... anyone who's unhappy can make something for themselves. Granted we're both adults, but that's the way we work :)

Seriously though, I would just skip making something special, even on the side, let them complain and tell them that Sunday morning (or whenever) is meal planning time-- if they want something off your planned list, they need to join you in the coupon cutting and menu planning for the week.

My husband learned that if he wanted food, he had to tell me what he wanted and that helped a lot-- he's now Paleo, but he still eats different food from me a lot of the time. Me not being psychic means that he has to tell me what to buy for him.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I agree, I just feel bad when my husband works so hard and comes home to something I didn't know he didn't like. I think being together during meal planning is great advice!! I have told him that so many times though.. I just need to make it happen.
  • hilary57
    hilary57 Posts: 18
    Options
    I still cook the grains hubby and son like, but make a ton of vegetables for daughter and me to have what we need, which is a lot more than they do. We all enjoy the meats. I'm fortunate though, hubby is happy with a pot full of rice. I don't have to do much with it, just have it cooked. He uses the vegetables as the "sauce" for the rice. And I buy his "whole wheat bread" he insists he needs. He's not enlightened yet.

What's wrong with dairy? I mean, I know what's wrong with commerically processed dairy, and I must admit, I've not read a single book on Paleo ofr Primal ... just a ton of research studies on nutrition. My milk is raw, I figure that can be called "primal" ... right?
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    We don't have any raw or local dairy available here. I still make them lunches with grains, and breakfast. I will admit I just have couple of real picky eaters here...
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I basically make the same dinners I made before in terms of meat/veggies/starch, but I make extra veggies for me. Where they put the rice/pasta on their plate, I put veggies.

If I make them pasta, I just quickly julienne a zucchini for my "pasta".

If I make a stir fry or something that uses rice, my new trick is to blitz some cauliflower in the cuisinart for my "rice".

They get mac/n/cheese or whatever, I double up on the veggies.

Hubby is starting to eat more vegetables, and my 4 year old is definitely paying attention to what's "caveman" in my dinner, and what's not in his. My 3 year old is a carbivore and I'm happy if he takes one bite of veg and meat.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options

If I make a stir fry or something that uses rice, my new trick is to blitz some cauliflower in the cuisinart for my "rice".

Great, simple tips!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm afraid of! My hubby says he's on board and will eat whatever I cook....but he's been in Afghanistan for 6 months and he's at the point where he's so desperate for real food that he'll say anything. I'm afraid that once he gets home and gets back to his usual routine he'll start snacking on triscuits and oreos again, and refusing to eat vegetables with dinner. And I don't know what this guy's going to do without his cereal for breakfast! I've offered to make him eggs and bacon, but there are mornings he's up way before me (and my hubs does NOT cook).
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem, my husband and kids want what I'm eating.....so many many paleo recipes on the Robb Wolf site, or paleomama, all off them super yummy and tasty, but I do make sides for the rest of the family a 50 pound bag of potatoes now in season only $8 .....big bag of Basmati Rice is only about $10 it last's forever, and then when they want sauce, I open up a can of creamed soup and heat it, but like I said they want what I eat. Get your family involved in the planning and also cooking, maybe not the husband since he is working, but the kids can help you even after school and they will learn what is healthy and good for them along the way, and the more you wean them off the wheat....the less they will want it. Do it gradually nothing is won over night, my husband is now off bread and cereal and that was totally his choice, change will come give it time, it is not a diet and everyone seems to forget that....and that is my 5 cent's worth and I have been primal for 49 days and I'm loving it and loving life again.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    I'm 18 but my mother is disabled to I cook a lot of the family meals...I just do things that are versatile. The other day I found a recipe for a "paleo enchilada bake" which is basically enchiladas without cheese or tortillas and extra meat. So I simply put theirs in tortillas and put cheese on top but left my portion alone.
    I made paleo chili and cornbread yesterday and just didn't eat the cornbread myself.
    I also make plenty of meats and veggies, like pork chops & ribs, and make sides like turnip greens with pork and green beans. If I make half of my plate veggies and half protein that is PLENTY enough and then I usually throw on some rice and beans just to make sure everyones happy
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    This is what I'm afraid of! My hubby says he's on board and will eat whatever I cook....but he's been in Afghanistan for 6 months and he's at the point where he's so desperate for real food that he'll say anything. I'm afraid that once he gets home and gets back to his usual routine he'll start snacking on triscuits and oreos again, and refusing to eat vegetables with dinner. And I don't know what this guy's going to do without his cereal for breakfast! I've offered to make him eggs and bacon, but there are mornings he's up way before me (and my hubs does NOT cook).

As far as breakfasts go you might want to think about making egg & bacon muffin cups. Make them up in advance and keep them in the fridge. Hubby and you can both grab a couple out in the morning and heat them up; great breakfast on the go. I wouldn't worry about it too terribly much. He's an adult and if he wants to get himself some crackers or cereal or something he will, and if he does maybe you can set aside a small cupboard for his stuff so you don't run into it every time you go looking for something else. :) I think he's going to adjust to it a lot better than you think; I know a lot of men that like carby stuff but would go without it if they got to have full fat options without feeling guilty that their SO won't approve.

Besides, coming home from Afghanistan is probably the best time to do this. He's ready for real food, and if what he gets is REALLY real food he might not even have a chance to miss the processed stuff.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I love these ideas, I will usually use spaghetti squash for my pasta; can't image using pasta again; but still don't know what to do for lasagna yet.

Will have to search for an alternative to pizza also.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Military service changes people. Judging from my brother's 180 in dietary choices (he used to turn his nose up at any "rabbit food", but last Thanksgiving, he was harping on our little sisters for not eating enough salad, as he chowed down on a plateful, sans dressing), it'd surprise me more if your hubby went back to his old habits, especially if you cook your paleo/primal food from the get-go and you don't have any of the junk around.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Military service changes people. Judging from my brother's 180 in dietary choices (he used to turn his nose up at any "rabbit food", but last Thanksgiving, he was harping on our little sisters for not eating enough salad, as he chowed down on a plateful, sans dressing), it'd surprise me more if your hubby went back to his old habits, especially if you cook your paleo/primal food from the get-go and you don't have any of the junk around.

Well, this is my husband's 5th deployment, so if he didn't change his eating preferences after the last 4, I'm not expecting him to change them now. He's in perpetual bachelor eating mode. If I left him to his own devices he'd go back to Subway and microwave pizza every day. But, this time he's 31 and all his bad eating is catching up with him (which is good for me). He's actually been complaining about getting soft in the midsection for the past few months. That's my in! That's why I'm hoping he'll be more compliant. :) And I'm the grocery shopper in the house....as long as I plan well and don't send him to the commissary alone we should be okay!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Have you tried things like:

Paleo pizza?
    Stews?
    Pasta sauce (such as meat based sauces bolognaise, matriciana) with spaghetti squash subbed for noodles
    Savory cupcakes (I make my 'cupcake' with a meat base and whipped sweet potato for the icing
    Lasanga with eggplant layers.

There is so many options... of course creamy sauces using non-grain flours are acceptable.

Websites such as www.paleomg.com, paleoparents.com <<<<<This one is great for parents. Simple recipes that taste good.

I absolutely agree about not adding or subbing sides. If your family doesn't eat, then there is nothing else. I'm a firm believer in that. Mine went from annoyingly picky to food loving monsters.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    We also keep the meal plan for the week on the fridge-- that has helped us a lot, since it's right in front of our faces.