Trying new things

Z_I_L_L_A
Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
Different isn't always better. I tried some cross fit and some of the movements are a problem. Being into power lifting I don't have as much range of motion so its easy for me to cause damage. I can't beat my body up with the new exercises. Joints are always going to be an issue I guess. Starting to wonder if I'm going to be able to continue with heavy lifting. Its kinda got me down a bit.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Take some time to back off and work on rehabbing your injuries man.

That's why I'm always iffy about trying new things, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Just wanted something to replace cardio thats all.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Getting your body to accept new ranges of motion are always difficult. I'd suggest going half of what you expect to do for any new exercise, as your existing power will hold you up for what your range of motion can't. Once you've "caught up" to yourself, then amp up the effort.

I've had the same problem shifting from kung fu to highland games, and now I'm seeing it going from highland games to powerlifting. But you never really lose what your body already knows - I can still kick higher than my own head :D
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Why not do barbell complexs or kettleball workouts? Or if you have access, a prowler.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Why not do barbell complexs or kettleball workouts? Or if you have access, a prowler.

prowler FTW
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    bad joints?

Deca!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    bad joints?

Deca!

this guy has a point haha.
    i've heard deca-durabolin is awesome for that.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    I'm 46 man, I tryin to keep **** from tearing up on me. I don't need **** to go wrong 10 years from now that will be serious. lmao...How about Arnica?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    I'd maybe just try ice, and anti-inflammatories after every workout.

Maybe msm, or some joing support supps.

I'm not big on arnica. I tried it before and wasn't impressed.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    I've never heard of arnica... but I use a Glucosamean, MSN, Chondriotin complex works wonders for my joints and tendons.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Lifting heavy all the time is tough on joints. If you are trying to find an interesting replacement for cardio, try doing your main lift and immediately do two more unrelated lighter lifts back to back. Triple set. You'll get 3 times more exercises in and you'll be sweaty when you're done.

Ie.. I'll do bench, run over and do 10 pull ups and then finish with lunges. Wait about a min and repeat.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Getting your body to accept new ranges of motion are always difficult. I'd suggest going half of what you expect to do for any new exercise, as your existing power will hold you up for what your range of motion can't. Once you've "caught up" to yourself, then amp up the effort.

I've had the same problem shifting from kung fu to highland games, and now I'm seeing it going from highland games to powerlifting. But you never really lose what your body already knows - I can still kick higher than my own head :D

Somebody with your size and strength throwing a head kick is ****ing scary as hell. LOL

One thing that I like to do for cardio is medicine ball work via throws and/or slams.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Somebody with your size and strength throwing a head kick is ****ing scary as hell. LOL

Size 15 foot coming at your head? That'll wake ya up!

Another cardio/conditioning exercise - the Prowler or sled push/pull. There's a reason people starting out on the Prowler do it outdoors - it will make you lose your lunch, breakfast, and last night's snack. If you have a training partner, another good exercise is a car/SUV/truck pull. Strap yourself to the front, put them behind the wheel, and get to pulling. Just make sure you have a set signal between you and your buddy so that they hit the brakes when you're ready to stop :D
  • JNick77

Size 15 foot coming at your head? That'll wake ya up!

Another cardio/conditioning exercise - the Prowler or sled push/pull. There's a reason people starting out on the Prowler do it outdoors - it will make you lose your lunch, breakfast, and last night's snack. If you have a training partner, another good exercise is a car/SUV/truck pull. Strap yourself to the front, put them behind the wheel, and get to pulling. Just make sure you have a set signal between you and your buddy so that they hit the brakes when you're ready to stop :D

I really wish my gym had a couple prowlers and some room or I had room somewhere for one.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    We are getting some at our gym too.
  • JNick77
    We are getting some at our gym too.

I hate you. LOL
  • arnica..... it helps bruises and muscle soreness. It has never done anything for my joints though. Got a little on my shins from my deadlifts the other day now!
    For joints, well the only other thing that has not been listed already I can think of is fish oil/flax seed. but it takes a month before I feel it making improvements.