When women say "I don't have female friends"

Options

Replies

• shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I had a friend of mine tell me that he wouldn't date a girl with a whole bunch of guy friends for a few reasons. If a girl says she has mostly male friends, RED FLAG. NOT my opinion, but an opinion I've heard.

What I've heard from men....

1. Men and women simply can't sustain close friendly relationships. One is probably attracted to the other. And one will probably act on it one day. Most likely with alcohol involved.
    2. She's probably slept with some of them(or will), because if you spend enough time around someone... It's bound to happen.
    3. They aren't really her "friends". They're more like back-up plans.
    4. She has self-confidence issues and feels inferior to other women, thus stays away from them to eliminate "competition".
    5. "If she screws me over, how can I bang one of her friends if they're all men?"

1. My male best friend and I have been friends for 25 years!
    2. Nope, never slept with him.
    3. Good grief!! Grow some brain cells please! Not all of us think with our genitals!
    4. Ermm, is this guy for real?.....lol
    5. Typical of the thought process of a thicko!!

Sorry, but this kind of unconsidered BS just irritates me.......... no offence to the poster. I know you said they weren't YOUR thoughts :flowerforyou:

We argued for about 15-20 minutes before I realized it was a lost cause...
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I had a friend of mine tell me that he wouldn't date a girl with a whole bunch of guy friends for a few reasons. If a girl says she has mostly male friends, RED FLAG. NOT my opinion, but an opinion I've heard.

1. Men and women simply can't sustain close friendly relationships. One is probably attracted to the other. And one will probably act on it one day. Most likely with alcohol involved.
    2. She's probably slept with some of them(or will), because if you spend enough time around someone... It's bound to happen.
    4. She has self-confidence issues and feels inferior to other women, thus stays away from them to eliminate "competition".
    5. "If she screws me over, how can I bang one of her friends if they're all men?"

1. My male best friend and I have been friends for 25 years!
    2. Nope, never slept with him.
    3. Good grief!! Grow some brain cells please! Not all of us think with our genitals!
    4. Ermm, is this guy for real?.....lol
    5. Typical of the thought process of a thicko!!

Sorry, but this kind of unconsidered BS just irritates me.......... no offence to the poster. I know you said they weren't YOUR thoughts :flowerforyou:

We argued for about 15-20 minutes before I realized it was a lost cause...

Yep, Lost cause! And probably yearning to have a close female friend if he could only keep his d!ck in check!! :laugh:
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have about 3 best girlfriends, one of which I get to see all the time because of location. Another that lives out of state and another that just got married and is busy with married life. I also have numerous male friends. One is like a brother and a few others have been co-workers or are former classmates.

I grew up in a town that only had one other female in my age group. She was my best friend and we hung around with all of the boys because that was our option. Does that make us trouble because we hung around with mostly boys due to our surroundings?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Wow never thought of it like #3.... that seems really true!!

this really hurts me.

1. never happened to me
    2. ive never slept with a guy friend in my entire effing life
    3. which means theyd never be a backup plan - my backup plan and a surprise stranger that suddenly lights up my world
    4. nah, i have tons of girlfriends all over the 7 continents, Im cool - just realised this doesnt apply to me HAHA

yay well adjusted
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    She's one of those women that hates women, is catty, *****y and bitter and surrounds herself with guy friends because they are drama freeeeeeeeeee - not realizing she has made herself a cloud of drama worth 5 women.

Just like this.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    We can argue about whether someone is right or wrong to shy away from women who don't have a lot of female friends, but I find that I know more single women who fit that description (don't have a lot of female friends, think more like a guy than a woman, don't care about the normal girly stuff of "regular girls") than I do single women who are the "normal typical girl."

So even if the guys are foolish to discount those of us who might prefer male friends, I'm seeing that there is a trend there. And I don't necessarily agree with the reasons people are giving...they certainly don't apply to me... but perhaps we should think twice before using that phrase early in a first date.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Fire your guy friends. These are all grossly judgmental not to mention dumb.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

1. If you aren't the one with feelings/sexual desires for him, don't drink around him because he wants to nail you.
    2. See #1, it's only a matter of time.
    3. Not really relevant to you and him unless you have all guy friends. However, not only does he want to nail you, he really resents you for making him wait until you exhaust every other option that is out there.
    4. See #3
    5. With his attitudes toward women in general, homosexuality isn't really that far of a stretch.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

Part of me believes this, and part of me doesn't.

The girl I was discussing earlier was very confident in herself. The problem with that is when you're with a group of girls, being super confident in yourself can backfire. Her attitude and pride in herself just got too much to take, and she wouldn't hesitate to snipe at us about dumb things. She also gossiped about the others girls to us. She once started to say something negative about my best friend - like I wouldn't tell her? I That got annoying fast, because if she saying this to me about my friend, what was she saying about me behind my back? I don't gossip about my friends to my other friends -that is just wrong.

In that case, she didn't get along with girls because she was too confident.

However, I can see it being the opposite issue, that you are not confident around people of your own gender, so you would rather just not be friends with them in the first place.
    We can argue about whether someone is right or wrong to shy away from women who don't have a lot of female friends, but I find that I know more single women who fit that description (don't have a lot of female friends, think more like a guy than a woman, don't care about the normal girly stuff of "regular girls") than I do single women who are the "normal typical girl."

I get this. But the point I tried to make earlier is that is one thing if you just don't currently have any girlfriends. But if you don't get along with women in general, that is an issue.
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more close female friends but the reality is everyone, male and female, in my life right now is super busy. Everyone is getting married and having babies and a lot of my female friends have less time to spend with me because they are with their kids.

My best friend is male and I have a lot less super close male friends the older I get but women are hard to get to know at this age because most of the females I meet are again pre-occupied with other things.

I think everyone needs to keep on mind that people of all ages are on here and at different ages different things are important and maturity levels are very different. Opinions vary due to that greatly I'm sure. If you had asked me 4 years ago my response would be a very different one.
  • christine24t
    Options
    I did some googling and this came up from howaboutwe.com

"Okay, let’s not beat around the bush: for women who date men, women with no female friends are The Worst.

This is the woman who will have no qualms about flirting with the guy you’ve been talking to all night at the party.

This is the one who will break every rule of Girl Code.

This is the woman with whom your boyfriend will cheat on you, (not that it’s her fault, it’s his fault, of course).

This is the woman who won’t ever set you up with her cute single friend, even though she isn’t in love with him, even though she has a boyfriend.

This is the woman who is BFF with your boyfriend, but who will make absolutely no effort to befriend you. And you have tried.

This is the woman who is crazy territorial about the 6 or 7 guys she is BFF with, and will never attempt to include you in the group because there is only room for one woman in their lives.

This woman is kryptonite for your dating life, and though you might spend countless car rides home stewing about her to a guy, he will never, ever, see your point. “What, Kelly? I don’t see why you hate her so much, she’s nice!”

No, no, girls, stay away from this woman. Your dating life will be better for it."

This is exactly what I think.

http://www.howaboutwe.com/date-report/2457-red-flag-alert-beware-the-woman-with-no-female-friends/#
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I did some googling and this came up from howaboutwe.com

"Okay, let’s not beat around the bush: for women who date men, women with no female friends are The Worst.

This is the woman who will have no qualms about flirting with the guy you’ve been talking to all night at the party.

This is the one who will break every rule of Girl Code.

This is the woman with whom your boyfriend will cheat on you, (not that it’s her fault, it’s his fault, of course).

This is the woman who won’t ever set you up with her cute single friend, even though she isn’t in love with him, even though she has a boyfriend.

This is the woman who is BFF with your boyfriend, but who will make absolutely no effort to befriend you. And you have tried.

This is the woman who is crazy territorial about the 6 or 7 guys she is BFF with, and will never attempt to include you in the group because there is only room for one woman in their lives.

This woman is kryptonite for your dating life, and though you might spend countless car rides home stewing about her to a guy, he will never, ever, see your point. “What, Kelly? I don’t see why you hate her so much, she’s nice!”

No, no, girls, stay away from this woman. Your dating life will be better for it."

This is exactly what I think.

http://www.howaboutwe.com/date-report/2457-red-flag-alert-beware-the-woman-with-no-female-friends/#

hmmm well I dont qaulify then... The first thing I do when one of my boys starts dating someone is playing nicey nice with her... Now I'm not gonna lie I dont stay "friends" with them after they break up...

I do have some female friends its just my male friends far outweight the female ones
  • christine24t
    Options

hmmm well I dont qaulify then... The first thing I do when one of my boys starts dating someone is playing nicey nice with her... Now I'm not gonna lie I dont stay "friends" with them after they break up...

I do have some female friends its just my male friends far outweight the female ones

Oh I think that's fine. It's when a person doesn't get along with a whole gender that it worries me and makes me think twice.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    This morning I was rather succinct, calling this situation trouble. I’ve had some work keep me busy today, but now I have the chance to expand upon that answer. A couple good quotes first…..
    She's one of those women that hates women, is catty, *****y and bitter and surrounds herself with guy friends because they are drama freeeeeeeeeee - not realizing she has made herself a cloud of drama worth 5 women.

Male friends are often going to be a source of drama in the primary relationship, and the closer the relationship, the worse it will be. I am of the belief that it is extremely difficult for men and women to be close friends. The man is likely physically attracted to the woman. And if the man has had a long enough sexual drought, an otherwise physically unappealing female friend might become someone that a guy will make overtures towards with the end goal of getting sex. Not all guys think like that, but there are a percentage of guys that will go in that direction.

1. If you aren't the one with feelings/sexual desires for him, don't drink around him because he wants to nail you.
    2. See #1, it's only a matter of time.
    3. Not really relevant to you and him unless you have all guy friends. However, not only does he want to nail you, he really resents you for making him wait until you exhaust every other option that is out there.
    4. See #3
    5. With his attitudes toward women in general, homosexuality isn't really that far of a stretch.

1. The guy will most likely be the one to act on it. It is a matter on whether the woman will accept the advance. Under the right conditions, she can. Granted, the jump won't be made permanently from the friend zone in most cases, but it is enough to radically alter or destroy certain relationships.
    2. I don’t think it is bound to happen, but the issue is bound to become relevant at some point with enough time.
    3. If a “friend zoned” guy does get sex from a woman, it is probably a one off or fling type thing. And David B is right that the guy will resent the woman for that sort of treatment. What commonly happens is that a boyfriend and girlfriend could have a big fight or breakup, and the girlfriend will turn to a long time male friend either for revenge sex or solace after a breakup, leading to sex based on the vulnerability in the moment mindset.

Now some of my own original angles…….

First, every woman under her 40s has to realize that most of her male friends want to have sex with her, given the right moment. There may be some impracticalities, but if there was something that happen to change the equilibrium, they would make the move.

Context and the nature of friendships matter. What were relationship statuses going in when the friendships were first formed? How close is the friendship? If they are considered peripheral relationships with very limited contact, the typical guy isn’t going to raise objections (either explicitly or in his own mind).

Now, gay male-straight female friendships. These are common. But once again, there are many men who perceive issues with this type of friendship as well. Many men have discovered that women who primarily hang around gay men are major drama queens. And if there’s something that guys hate, it is drama. To the typical straight guy, it is fine for a woman to have 1-2 gay male friends, but not hang out with them all the time so as to not lean towards drama queen tendencies. But there’s a benefit to the gay friend who will go to things with her that the typical guy isn’t particularly interested in doing all the time. Moderation and limited scope are the key words in this type of friendship.

I perceive that it is just easiest and most conducive to the formation of successful relationship when women have primarily women friends and men have primarily male friends.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options

Part of me believes this, and part of me doesn't.

The girl I was discussing earlier was very confident in herself. The problem with that is when you're with a group of girls, being super confident in yourself can backfire. Her attitude and pride in herself just got too much to take, and she wouldn't hesitate to snipe at us about dumb things. She also gossiped about the others girls to us. She once started to say something negative about my best friend - like I wouldn't tell her? I That got annoying fast, because if she saying this to me about my friend, what was she saying about me behind my back? I don't gossip about my friends to my other friends -that is just wrong.

However, I can see it being the opposite issue, that you are not confident around people of your own gender, so you would rather just not be friends with them in the first place.

I get this. But the point I tried to make earlier is that is one thing if you just don't currently have any girlfriends. But if you don't get along with women in general, that is an issue.

Just wanted to say that someone who is "very confident" doesn't gossip about people...Gossip and talking about others and putting other people down is a big sign of lacking confidence..she is feeling badly about herself so she has to put others down so that she will look superior. Big sign of lacking confidence.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Just wanted to say that someone who is "very confident" doesn't gossip about people

This caught my eye too, and I can see it both ways:

1. I can see women who have self-confidence issues preferring to be around men because men are easier to get along with which is a boost to ego (especially if said woman is always on the losing end of female relationship competition)

2. I can see a woman who is too confident preferring to be around men because when women are too self-assured, too confident, then other women get jealous/bitter/catty and don’t want to be friends with her or if they become friends try to tear her down so they can feel better about themselves. Thus, she would naturally have fewer female friends. She would also be more likely to be that “intimidating” woman with “high standards” that men don’t wanna bother with.
  • barefootkandi
    Options
    I don't have many (one or two) true female friends. I have never been a girly girl. I hate shopping, makeup, and the "typical" stero type of what a girl is supposed to be. I work in a male dominate field, and I think more like the men I work with than the women.

I find the women, especially those I work around are catty and full of drama, of which I want no part of (hence why I do not like having women friends).

This is me too.

the few women friends I have I am super close to, but I have more male friends precisely because there is less drama and cattiness.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

Fire your guy friends. These are all grossly judgmental not to mention dumb.

Like I said.. I argued until I realized it was a lost cause.

It's obvious that he is bitter toward women. (we no longer keep in touch)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It's a little bit of a red flag for me, but I'd ask why before I started to judge.

If they said that they thought girls were catty and had too much drama or something along those lines I would probably assume that she's also catty and difficult to get along with. If she can't get along with half of the general population than we are going to have a problem.

But if she gave a somewhat normal answer like they've just been friends forever, or she's into sports or something than it would be no big deal.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options

Just like this.

YES. It's always the women who go on and on about how they hate drama who are the ones creating it.