A question

Options
Carl01
Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
After reading through Janies thread where ladies have indicated they have to or feel they have to diminish their accomplishments or even "dumb down" to be appealing to guys it occurs to me that the opposite perception is also the case...that a guy who is not degreed or in a perceived succesful/powerful place in the world is at a disadvantage.

Not suggesting women are gold diggers but is there an inherent equalization in a ladies mind to his job position or accomplishments with his desireability to them?

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    The older I have gotten the less I have cared about his degrees. When I was in my 20s I would never think of dating someone that didn't have at least a bacherlors degree, since I had one and thought they had to have one to be on the same level. As I have gotten older I have meet many guys that don't have degrees but are accomplished at what they do. I prefer to date someone that is happy with their job and can support them selves then some one that makes a ton of money but hates their job.

And by support themselves I am not meaning lavishly, but able to afford their bills and not living on credit.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    A degree does not indicate smartness or ability to provide. There are plenty of people with college degrees who can't function in this world or are boring and complete idiots. A man who is confident with who he is and what he does is sexy.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    None of my friends care about a man having degrees/education. They care mostly about how he makes her feel.

They do, however, care about him having a job. They also care, to a degree varying woman by woman, whether or not he has ambition. For example, some of my friends don't care if a guy works a low level job and is happy doing that for the rest of his life. Some of my friends don't mind if he has a low-level job now (because maybe that's where he is right now) but if they are not, together, able to currently acheive an acceptable standard of living she expects that he (just like she) is ambitious enough to pursue it.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I like smart people and fun witty conversation.. However I know several people with degrees who are a bit dim. I know alot of people without degrees who are extremely intelligent. I just like to be able to carry on a conversation with someone. Where you went to school doesnt matter to me.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Booksmart means nothing....absolutely nothing. Give me a man with a GED who loves me passionately and unconditionally, and I guarantee I will be one happy woman!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter to me. When I was younger I thought I'd marry someone who wore a suit and tie to work That didn't happen. I married a fireman. Didn't last but that's not my point. How we are treated means way more.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I too thought growing up I would marry a man who wore a suit and tie everyday. But the older I got the more I realized it is about the man, not the money. As long as he has a job, does not need me to support him, and he can pay his own bills, I am cool with whatever he does. He just has to be happy with himself, and what he does. As long as he loves me and treats me well ... I am good as gold.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm from too far in the sticks but a degree *usually* means you owe a lot of money for a paper that doesn't guarantee you squat.

If you went for something you absolutely love great! If you are on the fence about it, sucks to be you.

I pay for my share of the things I do when it comes to "dating/meeting" , so I don't care about you spending your money on me....it's just going to be a long road for you and if you don't find a job that you got your degree in it's possible that you have a rough road ahead of you....that's tough. I wont' judge you for it but you can't tell me that's not tough.

I don't say NO to people who have one. Or vice versa. What makes me happy can't be found on a fancy expensive piece of paper.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Not suggesting women are gold diggers but is there an inherent equalization in a ladies mind to his job position or accomplishments with his desireability to them?

In a word: NO! :bigsmile:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    To me, I don't care if a guy has a degree, degrees or no degrees.

I am actually really attracted to men who work more with their hands. I don't know if it's more masculine in my mind or whatever, but it is really a turn on if a guy does physical work. That doesn't mean I'm not attracted to more bookish types, I am. But there is something that I don't mesh with more upper collar guys. I'd rather go to a dive bar than a fancy place, and usually more upper class men aren't willing to do that - they want to go to fancier places.

But I'm open to anyone!
  • BelMckenzie
    Options

I prefer a guy to have a degree or some college under their belts, however most of the guys I date don't have that. I care more about them being employed and being in a career they love or in a job that will get them that career. However, I am still young and several of the men I date are still in school (part time) or figuring out their career paths so I focus more on a potential match with a lot of exceptations to my preferences, besides the employed- that is a must!
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am actually really attracted to men who work more with their hands. I don't know if it's more masculine in my mind or whatever, but it is really a turn on if a guy does physical work.

^^This^^
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    If a guy is lazy and stupid and too much into himself, I wouldn't care to have a relationship with him. I like men who are intellectual, well read and thinkers - that doesn't have to translate into an advanced degree - anyone can choose to read a book, study or just read the newspaper (other than just sports / comics). I'm not sure Carl if you had a negative experience with a woman, but I think most people want someone they can relate to on more than just a physical level.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    If a guy is lazy and stupid and too much into himself, I wouldn't care to have a relationship with him. I like men who are intellectual, well read and thinkers - that doesn't have to translate into an advanced degree - anyone can choose to read a book, study or just read the newspaper (other than just sports / comics). I'm not sure Carl if you had a negative experience with a woman, but I think most people want someone they can relate to on more than just a physical level.
    Not that I know of, just a thought for discussion given what is often presumed to be the case.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Good degree => good job => good money => decent intelligence => decent conversation

Well, to some extent it tells: you can finish something, you are an achiever, you potentially pay your own bills and don't live at your parents anymore, you have interesting things to say (maybe), you have had enough intelligence to finish your degree.

Sure, there are people without degrees who have got the same qualities, but most people with degrees will have at least some or all of these qualities (which is a start already).

A degree is a safe bet.

You're only at a disadvantage (though) if you don't possess any of the above mentioned qualities, or if you just tell us you do possess those qualities but cannot show us you do (a degree sort of implies those qualities. Sort of. Safer bet.).
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    My father is the man that I hold in the highest esteem - he never finished college. Ran away from home when he was fifteen and joined a carnival. He joined the army when he was seventeen. After a little bit of that he went got got a little college in but ended up joining the army again. He retired after twenty years then got MCSE certified and is now working with a well known computer company doing project work with the military that's so secret I couldn't even tell you what he does.

He always taught me that hard work pays off more than anything, and that while other tidbits here and there might help and you should do everything in your power to make it work the most important thing isn't going to be a piece of paper hanging above your desk. I myself am working on a bachelors but I know so many people that are smart, good at their jobs, driven and motivated that hardly have any formal training it's never even been a "requirement" for me. As long as I don't have to be his parent ("take care of him" "pay his way" whatever) then we're golden.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think as I've gotten older I've worried about checking boxes less. I went on a date with a guy last night who has a degree (in IT, for those of you who remember my track record), yet I can tell you I heard some red flags during dinner that tell me that he may be educated but not the same passionate hard working person I am. (Yes, it took me hours of overanalyzing to come to that... well, that and a fellow MFPer cutting through the mud to ask if I wanted to make out with the guy as my decision point):bigsmile:

Bottomline, he's job hopped, gotten let go and laid off, even shared that his parents expressed frustration about how unsettled in his job he was, he talked about wanting to get out work early, and no desire to do anything more. None of things individually have to mean bad things, but all together tells me there is likely a difference in our priorities and decision making. His education is equivalent to mine though.

Eh, I'd rather worry about whether we can hold conversations (and whether I want to make out with the guy) than think about his education level, hehe...
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The older I have gotten the less I have cared about his degrees. When I was in my 20s I would never think of dating someone that didn't have at least a bacherlors degree, since I had one and thought they had to have one to be on the same level. As I have gotten older I have meet many guys that don't have degrees but are accomplished at what they do. I prefer to date someone that is happy with their job and can support them selves then some one that makes a ton of money but hates their job.

And by support themselves I am not meaning lavishly, but able to afford their bills and not living on credit.

This is very similar to how I feel.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    A college education doesn't mean much these days, it just makes it easier to find a "good" job. I barely use anything I learned in college at my job or other aspects of my life. So if someone else was able to find a way to manage a good career without spending the extra time or money on an education, then more power to them. I just don't want to date anyone with no direction or ambition in their life.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I have a Bachelors Degree. My boyfriend went to 1 year of University and dropped out. He's an IT professional that has learned in the job, he's super smart. Degrees don't make you better person. They don't make you smarter. I'm still paying on college loans at 33 making less per hour than he is. He is college debt free.

Who's the smart one here?