Atheist or just Anti-religion?

Options
Marll
Marll Posts: 904 Member
So, are you truly Atheist or just Anti-religion?

The reason that I ask is that it totally chaps my *kitten* when I see "Atheists" protesting things like crosses at soliders' graves or memorials, nativity scenes, or other displays of faith. A true Atheist shouldn't give a rats *kitten* about any of that because you know it's all fantasy, why should you care?

I also don't understand why so many Atheists as depicted by the media tend to be liberal, or left leaning politically. Freedom to choose is on the right hand of the spectrum not the left. Sure generally the left doesn't tolerate religion, but they just replace it with a form of religion, which is worship or idolization of the state and its leaders. I am very conservative and agree with the basic principals of most religions (which are strikingly similar) such as Christianity, but do not believe in God or Satan or whatever other form they take in other religions.

I also find it odd that so many people that identify as Atheist are acting more and more like it IS a religion unto itself....

Replies

• Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Lots of generalizations in that post, but I guess we have to start somewhere.
    I've been an atheist my entire life, and have never considered it a religion. It is, however, indicative of a world-view that informs many of my beliefs and strategies regarding the way I approach my daily life. For many people, religion does that. My lack of religion doesn't do that directly, but is evidence of how I prefer to reason and make decisions.

I know many atheists on both "sides" of the political debate, and I believe the reason why liberal atheists speak out more is because it is simply more widely accepted in their circles. Most atheists I know do not worship the state. In fact, most people I know who are skeptical about religion are also skeptical about authority figures and constructs.

Many people take for granted that the US is a Christian Nation, when there is in fact very little evidence for that, overall. Those who point that out are seen as rabble-rousers and bullies, but many are just approaching it from the perspective of reason. As for the people screaming on TV about how there shouldn't be any Christian symbols or expression anywhere- I believe those people are simply lashing back against what they perceive as a mistake in the way many people form a national identity around Christianity. When atheists want to express an idea publicly, it is often met with a lot of controversy and reactionary hostility. Honestly, even if someone of unknown religious affiliation expressed a secular idea publicly, he or she is often met with equal hostility (though "secular" and "atheist" are not in any way beholden to one another). While I don't agree with the approach that some atheists take to be heard, I do understand the frustration.
  • staubng
    staubng Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was going to respond similarly, but I think Kennkaru did a great job. Frustration comes with conflict of any ideology of any level because perspective of the individual is based on the individual's life experiences and influences. As a former religious follower, I felt the hostility of non-'believers'. As an atheist, I can sense it from those fully immersed in a religious discipline. By and large, if all of your interactions are based from ultra-left or activist atheists and you've not been able to find less dogmatic individuals, then all I can do is assure you they exist and whether it's worth going to new places, meeting new social groups or exploring a region with a vastly different base of average social opinion is based upon your frustration with people you interact with and how much you want that to be different.

I am atheist, and in areas of scientific education and progress, I would say I have a dash of anti-religious influence; but as an atheist who accepts evolution, it is always considered that variation in public consensus is as natural as any other variation. Some ideals make it through to influence for better or worse the population moving forward, but I've never found a religion that has spanned all social structures at any one time, let alone the entire life history of homo sapien sapiens. Thus, I don't consider religion as a mainstay of my existence nor necessary to battle folks over. Good on you for your conservative self-standards as it keeps people out of trouble, generally. It's not a bad way to proceed. And I think most atheists would concur.
  • Marll
    Options
    I think that the US has been built on predominantly Christian ideals and I'm ok with that. The basic teachings of Christianity also make good logical sense, I just don't believe in an all knowing being that contructed the Earth and everything that we see. I am highly conservative on most political issues because they generally make logical sense as well, though of course I differ on a few issues.

I take issue with the many in your face type of atheists that want to condem everything from displaying religious symbols in public/government cemetaries, to outright being hostile to groups that celebrate holidays like Christmas (hell I celebrate Christmas, it just means something completely different to me personally)

I also find it bizarre when atheist groups start putting up billboards advertising atheism....you are turning it into a religion when taking it to this level...or actually more like a cult. I whole heartedly disagree with this stance as an atheist because it's stupid and serves no purpose. You don't believe in god, why in the world would you care what others believe and attack them?

On the other side of the fence though I find it hilarious when atheists are lumped in with Satanic worshipers. I had to explain to someone once that accused me of worshiping the devil "How can I worship something that I don't believe even exists? If there is no god, there is no devil." That left her scratching her head for a while LOL.
  • Marll
    Options
    I was going to respond similarly, but I think Kennkaru did a great job. Frustration comes with conflict of any ideology of any level because perspective of the individual is based on the individual's life experiences and influences. As a former religious follower, I felt the hostility of non-'believers'. As an atheist, I can sense it from those fully immersed in a religious discipline. By and large, if all of your interactions are based from ultra-left or activist atheists and you've not been able to find less dogmatic individuals, then all I can do is assure you they exist and whether it's worth going to new places, meeting new social groups or exploring a region with a vastly different base of average social opinion is based upon your frustration with people you interact with and how much you want that to be different.

I am atheist, and in areas of scientific education and progress, I would say I have a dash of anti-religious influence; but as an atheist who accepts evolution, it is always considered that variation in public consensus is as natural as any other variation. Some ideals make it through to influence for better or worse the population moving forward, but I've never found a religion that has spanned all social structures at any one time, let alone the entire life history of homo sapien sapiens. Thus, I don't consider religion as a mainstay of my existence nor necessary to battle folks over. Good on you for your conservative self-standards as it keeps people out of trouble, generally. It's not a bad way to proceed. And I think most atheists would concur.

Thankfully I know and was raised by a very conservative and level headed atheist, who encouraged me to study other religions and make a decision based on what I learned. My decision was atheism because it's very logical and makes sense to me. I've run into a few zealots on both sides and have little tolerance for either. As a person, and a veteran I firmly believe the that greatest thing in life is being able to choose ones own beliefs and be that religion or atheism I'm glad that we have that right in the US at least.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    While I am personally not an atheist activist, I do appreciate the work they do. Perhaps some of them go overboard with their anti-religion ideals, but I do see the reasoning behind it. Without their activism, this nation (U.S.) would potentially become dominated by the religious faction; introducing intelligent design into our science classes, passing laws that violate the separation of church and state, and more. We can see the potential dangers of that happening by simply taking a look at Muslim countries.

Allowing the fantasy to remain pervasive was a driving factor for the so-called dark ages. The reason we should care is so that we can advance as a society rather than spending so much time, energy and money every time Christianity tries to find a way to get their mythology into the classroom. That energy is much better spent on vastly more important advances in medicine, technology, social sciences, etc.

All that said, I'm mostly talking about the leaders of the atheist movement, who are educated and logical, and attempt to fight the battle with reason and intellect, rather than atheistic "dogma."
  • Marll
    Options
    I agree that everyone should be on the lookout and resist anything that would set up a theocracy in the US. I don't think that would ever happen due to the diverse makeup of cultures and religions, but we should always be on guard. That being said I'm of the mind that people misinterperet the seperation of church and state a bit, and want to dismantle all reference to god or religion from every facet of local and federal governments. The seperation is mainly to prevent the establishment of a state religion, not the outright banning of religious references or ideals that influence government to a certain degree.

I have noticed however that the determination to prevent religion from seeping into government seems to be a tad selective, and normally targeted against Christianity. Why are we not seeing an uproar about the Islamic prayer that is to take place at the DNC this year, even though this is obviously mixing politics/government with what in my mind appears to be a very forceful and authoritarian religion?
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Have not yet read the other replies, only the OP remarks.

Atheism is a religion
    the way bald is a hair color..........

Atheism is a religion
    the way abstinence is a sexual position.

Yes, yes, i DO object to govt supported displays of any religion.
    I am for complete separation of church and state.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    Sure generally the left doesn't tolerate religion, but they just replace it with a form of religion, which is worship or idolization of the state and its leaders.

says who?
    I am a liberal,
    and i do not "worship" the govt.
    I am for FAR MORE freedoms than most republicans or conservatives are.

I do not want the govt burning or banning books, nor censoring history books,
    not rewriting them to suit their agenda.
    I do not want the govt shoving anyone's gods into my public places, my courthouse, my country's legislation.
    I do not want the govt involved in private consensual sexual choices.

I do not want a govt involved in my uterus, or my decisions that are between ME and my doctor and whoever else i choose to involve in MY decision.
    I do not want the govt banning birth control, nor denying birth control that can rightly be covered by insurance coverage.

nor who can marry who,
    who can adopt who based upon who they have mated with.

I don't want your "small" govt getting into private family decisions about last wishes and end of life care.
    I don't want your "small" govt getting to shove "creationism" into SCIENCE books, when there is zero evidence for it, it's NOT science.

I want the freedom to say, those 10 commandments have nothing to do with my govt, and should not placed on govt tax-payer supported lands, like courthouses.
    (and only 2 of them are actual laws, it's a crummy list, i could make a better list, but, that's off topic)

I do not want a govt trying to force biblical "morals" onto me, like no liquor sales on Sunday, the 'honor the sabbath' crapola,
    (rofl, Jesus loved wine, and so did his Dad. When biblegod Dad flooded the earth, and chose to save one (1) dude and his family, he chose a guy with a drinking problem).

but i digress.

I am MORE for freedom than YOU are. I want freedoms even MORE than you do!!
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    So, are you truly Atheist or just Anti-religion?

I AM BOTH!!!!! :bigsmile:

I can't speak for anyone but myself about what THEIR atheism means to THEM,
    as we atheists are NOT a relgion,
    and although many of us do share commonalities,
    we have no dogma,
    no leader,
    no organization which encompasses all of our often diverse views.

but, for me,
    Yes, i am an atheist,
    and yes, i am anti-religion.

I feel religion does harm, oppresses people, (especially women)
    induces guilt,
    stunts critical thinking skills,
    causes wars,
    divides families apart,
    and is one of the most horrific forces on earth.

yet,
    i still can treat a theist with respect. I dislike the religion, not the person who has been hypnotized since birth,
    by eveyrone he knows,
    to love a cosmic jewish zombie, who make you live forever, if you symbolically eat his flesh and drink his blood,
    whle telepathically telling him that you accept him as your master,
    so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree…
    under threat of eternal punishment.

I can see how that person DID inherit the gods their parents worship.

I dislike the religion
    and it's impact on humans, on govts,
    but i can love the person who espouses that nonsense. And i will stand up for that person's freedom to worship whatever gods they inherited,
    yes i will.

I will stand up for that theist's right to worship,
    in any way he chooses,
    so long as no children are harmed....
    and so long as my taxes are not going into it,
    and so long as it is NOT on tax-payer supported lands.

EDIT x 2.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    btw, to the OP,
    sorry about your a$# is all chapped by people's freedom of speech.

8dgAB.gif

rofl.
    ironic, isn't it?
    Here you are, claiming to love freedoms,
    but only for YOUR point of view.

See, that' isn't how freedom works. It's for everyone. Even atheists.
    I am just against public displays of the gods on govt (tax payer supported) lands.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    Sure generally the left doesn't tolerate religion, but they just replace it with a form of religion, which is worship or idolization of the state and its leaders

Of the 435 elected officials in Washington, of those on the left,
    only one (1) is an atheist. And he is not a democrat.

Over 99.9% of all democratic leaders in your govt,
    are also religious.
    Many of them very very much contribute to blurring the lines between church and state.
    WHERE do you get your info ??

Can you cite an example of anyone of significance (not a teen on facebook)
    on the left "not tolerating religion"?? Even one?
    Keep in mind
    there is a difference,
    between challenging an idea that has zero empirical evidence,
    egging them on to use critical thinking skills,
    as well as a difference in someone (even a religious person) objecting to the govt favoring one god over another,
    or objecting to using tax payer dollars to indulge in worshiping the gods.

rVd2R.jpg
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    I think that the US has been built on predominantly Christian ideals and I'm ok with that

nope, sorry, it's not.
    The original founders of the USA govt, were people running FROM the mix of govt into religion,
    and religion into govt.
    The pilgrims initially wanted zero mix of the two, at all,
    as they had seen how disastrous that ALWAYS becomes.
    always.

True, over time, it did get messed up,
    but morality and religion have zero to do with each other.

nZh9y.png

^oh, the entire pic doesn't show, it reads,
    "MORALITY IS DOING WHAT IS RIGHT, NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE TOLD.
    RELIGION IS DOING WHAT YOU ARE TOLD, NO MATTER WHAT IS RIGHT."

THANK DAWG that civil law DOES override the bible laws,
    or else we could sell our daughters,
    murder adulterers,
    murder sassy children,
    perform infantocide,
    torture those who do not worship same gods we do,
    indulge in geneocide,
    tons
    and
    tons
    of crazy-a$3 bible "laws" and "rules" which i am EXTREMELY grateful to our founding fathers for NOT treating as CIVIL law.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    I am highly conservative on most political issues because they generally make logical sense as well, though of course I differ on a few issues.

can you name a conservative position on any issue that you feel "makes sense"??

/gets popcorn,
    cuz, i am betting you believe that rightwingers are better at budgets, but, the CBO disagrees. sorry, i should wait til you DO actually reply.

or, you can skip it, as there is already so much going on in this thread.

BIT I WILL AGREE, the vast majority of atheist i know ARE liberals,
    and few self label as "independents" but most of the "independents" i know, are embarrassed republicans.
    but,
    there is the rare "conservative" atheist, they do exist.

ON "AtheistUniverse.net"
    there are a few others like you there,
    and there are multiple discussions as to why most atheists ARE liberals.....it's a fairly complicated discussion,
    you should join AU, to join in,
    there are a few like you there.
    Most of those discussions seem to imply,
    that since conservatism IS a largely illogical and oppressive and religiously based group, and tend to espouse so so many "social" values which most americans outgrew in the 19th century,
    that few atheists,
    who DO tend to be critical thinkers,
    can swallow it.

PLUS, it *almost* seems like,
    to be a "real" republican,
    you HAVE TO watch Faux News........and that might be a bridge too far for anyone who does not buy into fantasy........it is an interesting thing to wonder,
    why so many atheists ARE liberals???????
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    The basic teachings of Christianity also make good logical sense,

no, no they don't.
    I will readily admit,
    there ARE a few good ideas in the bible!

but the overall vast bulk of the bible,
    is one horrific monstrous story, with ghastly morals!!!
    http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/atrocities.html

Even the main characters leave much to be desired. Not really a lot to admire there, at all! shiver!! Don't get me started on Jesus......so overrated. Yes, he did have some nice qualities,
    like he was FOR healthcare for the poor,
    the literal redistribution of wealth,
    was NOT a capitalist,
    lotta things about the guy i do like,
    but,
    so much to wonder about,
    like why he couldn't ever once stand up against slavery? or the severe, mind-blowing oppression of women going on all around him?
    I am a mere mortal,
    yet,
    i have managed to find the courage to stand up against evil when i see it.
    couldn't Jesus have even said, "Ey, this whole selling women thing, and the slavery, i am against it."

but nope, not a peep.
    Not a word against molesting kids, child abuse (in fact, Jesus recommends murdering sassy children)
    See, i couldn't even hang around with a guy like that, let alone worship him.
    If i DID follow his "logical" rules,
    i'd end up on "Crime Mysteries" show, and in jail.

Why did Jesus disrespect his own mother every single time he saw her? What was THAT all about? Like i always told my daughters, "watch out for any guy who doesn't treat his mother with respect, and run from any adult male who seriously dislikes his mom."
    I got a long long list of things about almost all of the bible's "heros".

That bible is a crappy immoral book.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    dawg, almost every line you wrote, Maril, i have a disagreement with.

liek this one:
    I also find it bizarre when atheist groups start putting up billboards advertising atheism....you are turning it into a religion when taking it to this level...or actually more like a cult.

Why?
    why are you against THIS freedom?

And if something is on a billboard, it is now a "religion"???
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    so, Century 21 Realtors is a religion now? Or, would they be a "cult"??
    :tongue:
    DO LOOK UP THE MEANING OF THE WORD "CULT". ATheists are not even organized, have no leader, we worship nothing, (generally) we oppress no one.

I am all for promoting rationality. :bigsmile: Any tool that helps, i'm all for it.
    Messaging on billboards is effective,
    and THAT is why you see so many of them.
    :laugh:
    Billboards like this can increase membership in local atheist groups:smile: (i know, cuz our billboard DID just that, wow, what a turn out that month!):noway:
    as well as raise cash for campaigns and causes and groups and events, (like the annual atheist cruise:love: sponsored by CFI )

as well as help desensitize others to our presence.:flowerforyou:
    as well as help instigate thinking,
    as well as help the vast bulk of atheists in the closet feel validated, and respected, and more acceptable and less afraid of the wrath:explode: so many atheists face.

I was atheist back in the 70s and 80s, things were a LOT worse then, oh bayyyyyyyybee, was it ever worse back then. the pre-internet era of atheism, it was just hateful.
    felt VERY alone,
    would have LOVED to see a billboard about atheism.

even one. even a magazine, or a book, that actually made it to the shelves.
    even one well spoken atheist on tv that WASN'T being pelted with eggs.

there was nothing.

so far as i knew,
    i was the ONLY one, me and Dr Ohara, being tormented and ridiculed on the tv news.

Glad for you,
    that your life as an atheist is such,
    that you yourself feel no need to support the others still struggling to find the courage to be out,
    and
    i'm glad that wherever you live,
    there is no need to stand up for rational thinking.

yFeL3.jpg
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    To the OP,
    i haven't even slogged through your second post yet.

guess i can only read that kind of 'logic'
    in small increments.

later.

but one more before i log off,
    You don't believe in god, why in the world would you care what others believe and attack them?

Atheist are typically the ones under attack.
    not the other way around.

I can't speak for other atheists,
    and rather resent the way some teens on facebook are somehow seen to represent the bulk of atheists,
    when teens are usually not the most logical nor well developed thinkers in the world,
    but,
    for me,
    i never attack the person.

Like i said,
    i can
    and will
    attack an idea, but, *I* never ever bring up their gods,
    they do.

I find religion offensive, myself. Such a dangerous thing.
    HOPE YOU CAN READ THIS:
    FApjr.jpg

I can attack the idea, or the "logic" they are using,
    but not the person.

Maybe not everyone can do that.
    but i can, if i choose to.
    See,
    there is a difference between saying, "The bible IS full immoral rules"
    and saying "you are an idiot who just swallows whatever you are told."

see?
    see the difference there?

I do not attack the person.
    i can and will attack the IDEA or NONSENSE.
    I am all for promoting critical thinking skills,
    and greatly fear the encroachment of religion into the US govt, it is just mind-blowing!!!!!!! I have long long list
    of how religion
    has
    and
    does
    influence our govt.

ZpowN.jpg

oh, the poster reads, "this is not a f#cking church, keep your hallucinations out of my life."

I am rather shocked you do not seem aware of this. Perhaps you watch clusterFaux news.
    that'd do it.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    I have noticed however that the determination to prevent religion from seeping into government seems to be a tad selective, and normally targeted against Christianity.

Actually, like many atheists, i am very supportive of efforts to keep any religion from "seeping" into govt any further than it already is. (Religion IS in bed with the US govt, btw)
    But it is not just christianity. Some legislators felt the need to try to pass some amendment or law stating Sharia Law could not overtake the Pklahoma state govt. GUESS which "logical" party did that?
    take a wild guess.

There is indeed, a very stiff bigotry against anything that can even be mistaken for muslim adherents, amazing you seem unaware of it. It's also part of the GOP platform, as well.

But, the reason you might be noticing more protests against christianity trying to take over the US govt,
    is,
    cuz christainity is THE one religion trying to do so.
    Christanity is the largest religion in the US.
    so most efforts to shove their gods,
    their creationism stories,
    all that crapola,
    ARE from christians.

sorry, but anything that smacks of 'CHRISTIAN OPPRESSION' just amuses me..............what a groupwide-persecution complex so ingrained as a reflex almost............
    xaWVZ.gif
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    Why are we not seeing an uproar about the Islamic prayer that is to take place at the DNC this year, even though this is obviously mixing politics/government with what in my mind appears to be a very forceful and authoritarian religion

My friend, you have ALL the earmarks of a devoted Faux news viewer, or perhaps a Glenn Beck fan, or a Rush Limbaugh adherent.
    I'd rather you were religious.
    that rightwing faer-mongering stuff is permanent,
    but religion is not.

First off, the DNC is not "govt". It is a political party.
    It is NOT sponsored by YOUR tax dollars.
    Second off,
    there is NO muslim prayer fest,:laugh: but this WAS used as a way to fire up the base against democrats.
    rofl.

///"Many of the emails link to a blog post or to an article posted on The Blaze, Glenn Beck’s conservative website. The Blaze article originally carried the headline, “DNC Announces 2-hour Islamic ‘Jumah’ Prayers After Rejecting Cardinal’s Blessing (And You Won’t Believe Who’s Invited).”:laugh: The article has since been updated to reflect that Cardinal Timothy Dolan, New York’s archbishop, will be leading the DNC’s closing benediction.

A Muslim group scheduled a prayer service titled “Jumah at the 2012 DNC” in a city park — not in any official convention venue — for the Friday afternoon Before the convention."///

http://factcheck.org/2012/08/muslim-prayer-service-at-the-dnc/

TURN OFF FAUX NOISE!!!!

see, bigotted, fear-mongering stuff like THAT might be why most atheists
    who DO tend to be logical, fact-based types,
    just can not get themselves to take rightwinger 'fear-based' crapola seriously.
  • BlueJean4114
    Options
    Atheism is a religion

the way not collecting stamps is a hobby...........
  • Skudsister
    Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Okaaaay. I can't comment on religion and state in the US as I am UK based but I would say that I am a rationalist, a humanist and an atheist. I have good friends who are Christian, Muslim, Sikh, whatever and, because most of us are, shall we say, a bit left-leaning we tend to respect each others positions.

Because I am left-leaning I don't think people should be oppressed for their political beliefs, their sexuality, race or religious beliefs. I don't think it is illogical to be an atheist yet to hate islamophobia. I'm lucky, I'm not oppressed for my atheism but I do know some young British Asians who are atheists. If you think its tough being a Christian atheist imagine what its like when you reject Islam?

In terms of being anti-religion I would say in my case, no I'm not. I would defend peoples rights to believe what they like. 'The Church' on the other hand I can often find offensive. When 'organised religion' starts telling folk what to do rather than them trusting to good old fashioned common sense is when the trouble often starts....

Finally - teens on Facebook? I work in a West Yorkshire University so I see these teens every day - most of them are rational and, especially in the case of the young Muslims, brave to reject a religion they have been raised in. Most of them will also often be a bit rash and stupid but thats what being a teenager is all about. We were just the same but only a few of our nearest and dearest ever saw us. This generation have no fear of going public with their lives and, on the whole, thats a good thing to me.

Jane