Sept 3rd (Monday) Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
Good morning Hatters!

Hard to believe September is here.. the summer seems to have flown by, but.. being menopausal.. I’m personally looking forward to the cooler weather (especially when in the midst of a hot flash… lol) I know some of our Hatters are dealing with some major stuff in their lives right now.. and reading about what some of you are going through brought back memories of some of my own times of “dealing”.. and there were moments I remember thinking “ok really.. is there anything else life can throw at me right now?” so I thought this quote I found might best express what some of our ladies might be feeling right now too..

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."~ Mother Teresa :flowerforyou:

Aint it the truth, ladies! It seems sometimes the problems just keep piling up til you truly do think if one more thing comes up, you’ll go nuts! (or curl up in the fetal position with a bottle of wine and a box of Kleenex) so just want to say we’re here for ya .. whether its just a good venting you need, or a laugh or a shoulder to cry on.. we’re here. And we can appreciate how difficult it is to focus on your own health when you’re looking after everyone else… so we’ll be here too if you need a hand to help you over the bumps with a little encouragement or a reminder that we ARE all amazing women, and are so worth the investment in ourselves!:flowerforyou:

Ive been looking at my progress reports on MFP over the weekend, and while I can celebrate much better food choices and portion control since I came to MFP, I have to admit I have been “coasting” a little on my exercise goals…. My goal was to walk for at least 30 min a day because I’ve always been completely sedentary.. and didn’t want to “go all out” and then give up (which I’ve done many many times before lol) but its been 55 days and its just not cutting it anymore for enough exercise. I freely admit I have always hated exercise.. I’m probably the only one on the planet who never ever gets that “endorphin high” (and I’ve tried it all over the years) but.. the time has come to suck it up and just realize that I’ll never HAVE to enjoy it.. but I do have to start doing something more. So I’ve given myself til the end of the week to formulate the next step for me, and I’m sharing it here because of the accountability factor.. I honestly did consider not making a commitment publicly to the Hatters, because I worry I won’t follow through like all the other times. But this time is SUPPOSED to be different.. because it’s a lifestyle change, so by the end of the week I’ll be posting my next exercise goal, and may have to ask the Hatters for a little push if I start whining once I commit to it lol. So be warned ahead of time, ladies!!

Let’s have an awesome and productive new month… and maybe we should talk about a mini challenge for our group for September? Little changes lead to big results.. but with so much going on with everyone, might not be a good time for it.. so I’ll just put it out there and see what you all think..

Have a great day, Hatters!

Replies

• hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    #1 I am thinking and praying for all of my hatter friends and still have not had a chance to catch up.
    Happy Dance, thanks to all of the hatters for helping me get back on track and get to 1 pound less than when I started my week of mindless stressed eating. Mentally it was hard when my number lost was in the 40's instead of over 50. I started to write here about how I managed to lose weight when traveling alone to a family wedding, instead I moved it to my blog because it was so long.
    Looking forward to reading how you all are doing, happy Labor Day.
    Janet
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Snooozie. I think a mini challenge would be great. I know for myself. I cant do the mine challenge they have out in the main forums. There is just to many repetitions. I am not in the shape to do them. 300 jumping jacks Tried them just didn't get them done. :sad: :cry:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Oh my Ladies,

Can everyone feel me beaming this morning? :bigsmile: At weigh in this morning I was super excited looking at the scales but when I went to post them on my blog I found that today was a mini goal achievement set two months ago. I hit it exactly on target !!! For those that don't know I am part of the "Ready to Rock It' challenge group also. I am feeling so charged this morning finally. I have a month to go but I am BELIEVING I will hit that final goal of 270 !!!! I am going to post my weigh in, mini goals, and final goal as set (by me) for that group so that others can see that little by little steps you can make you goals come true. Notice the beginning weigh in numbers just kind of sat there but I kept going rather than giving in and the numbers finally began to move.

Stay strong and making the best choices you can in any given situation and remember one step of the path can not completely detour your journey, you are not walking alone !!!

Name/ real name: Tammy
    Going for -24 lbs
    Current Weight: 294
    Challenge Goal Weight: 270

07/02: 294
    07/09: 293
    07/16: 293
    07/23: 292
    07/30 289
    08/06 286: <<<mini goal weight>>>286 MET
    08/13 286
    08/20: 284
    08/27: 282
    09/03:278 <<<mini goal weight>>> 278 MET
    09/10:
    09/17:
    09/24:
    10/01: <<<challenge goal weight>>> 270
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Janet!!! How AWESOME does it feel to look at your ticker and see 54lbs lost??? And I GUESS you were doing the happy feet dance ... huge congrats my friend.. you are an inspiration to me to keep at it because it CAN be done.. huge IPOU!!

TA!!! well done.. ..WELL DONE!! sO happy for you as well on those 4lbs gone... there are happy feet dancing all over the place this morning! Yay!! (OK.. I came back to edit this because I read your post just after I did mine LOL.. WAY TO GO on reaching your goal too!!!! I'm betting you feel on top of the world this morning TA.. and am so thrilled for you!!

Cheryl: I feel exactly the same way.. I've looked at some of the challenges and because I am NOT fit (yet!) .. there is no way I can do em and I don't need the extra feelings of failure when I can't... so I was thinking just something that we could ALL do.. it doesnt have to be fitness related even.. maybe something like aiming for logging our food diaries faithfully every day for the whole month? or maybe adding 5 minutes every day to whatever we are each doing exercise wise... something attainable for all of us.. just a small change.. but I don't want any of our Hatters to feel like we HAVE to do it.. cause i've been there and felt like i had to participate.. when I didn't want to lol... lets hear your thoughts about a mini goal for our group for Sept ladies.. no pressure, no "oh oh"... its just a thought :o)

Had a lovely walk this morning; it was so hot and sunny yet some weather front must be moving in because the waves were crashing against the shore.. it was kinda freaky in a good way.. lol i could hear the surf and see waves and as the lake has been so placid most days.. it was kinda neat! Need to grab my brekkie and then get ready for work.. they've closed the street leading up to my workplace for the Labour Day parade lol... so will have to leave a little early to find an alternate route through all the little one way streets.. ! Have a great day Hatters.. looking forward to catching up on everyones weekend tonite!
  • NewBeginnings0148
    Options
    To TArnold2012 congratulations on your weight loss so far. On your profile where you stated "LIVE my life instead of enduring it". I love that, I feel that way. That statement is very inspiring to me! That describes exactly what I have been doing my whole adult life. Enduring life rather than living it. Doing what I've had to do to survive rather than thrive. Thank you for inspiring me today! Have a lovely Labor Day! :flowerforyou:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Mary!! How lovely to see you.. and welcome to the Mad Hatters! How was your fishing trip?? Am so glad you you were able to relate to TA's profile.. that's what I love most about our ladies in the MMH's.. every day they inspire me, and help me burn a few calories laughing!!

Also sending out a big warm welcome to some of our other new members.. feel free to friend us all ladies; or lurk or post at will LOL..

:bigsmile:
  • charip
    charip Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Love the idea of a small challenge for all us hatters! Has anyone tried the Leslie Sansone 10 day challenge that started last Thursday? I meant to.......lol, but it just didn't happen, seems procrastination is a large part of my weight problem.
    A new month (September is my favorite), a new week, time to get honest and get back to logging and exercising. I've changed how much weight I've actually lost to reflect all of the bad choices I've made in August, and the eight pounds I've gained back. Ouch, that really hurt!!!
    A few random thoughts...a couple of things I read in a recent Womans's World magazine-
    Next time you're watching television and a commercial break starts, get up and march in place. Folks who did that while watching 90 minutes of TV ended up clocking over 2100 steps- equal to walking for 30 minutes! Alright, now there's a mini challenge we could do, if only during a half hour show, we'd still be walking 10 minutes!
    Another one- Laughter lengthens your life. And so does being optimistic, having an easygoing attitude, and staying connected with friends. That's the conclusion of a new study of 243 folks who've reached the age of 100 with good health, reports the journal Aging.
    And for my last words of wisdom for the day, lol, a quote from Charlie Chaplin- A day without laughter is a day wasted.
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    I'm all for cooler weather! I still have hot flashes & wish they would stop once & for all! September brings me some new inspiration at losing my weight. My husband & I are trying the low carb. eating. He lost a good bit of weight on this program some years ago & I hope w/him at least trying w/ me we can both lose lbs.
    I haven't heard of the Leslie Sansone 10 day challenge, what is the challenge?
    I haven't been up to walking the last few days, tomorrow I will make it my morning workout. Take care ladies.
  • charip
    Options
    It's a Leslie Sansone walk challenge, you can check it out on facebook, Walk Social, the walk video's are on there, free to try.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options

A few random thoughts...a couple of things I read in a recent Womans's World magazine-
    Next time you're watching television and a commercial break starts, get up and march in place. Folks who did that while watching 90 minutes of TV ended up clocking over 2100 steps- equal to walking for 30 minutes! Alright, now there's a mini challenge we could do, if only during a half hour show, we'd still be walking 10 minutes!

I love this idea and am going to start doing it until the weather is a bit cooler at least for walking outside in the afternoons and the mosquitoes are not attacking. We have several cases West Nile in our are and we are being very cautious. I have the treadmill but since being back at work I have slacked on jumping on it daily :noway: and after being so dedicated for 6 weeks I am ashamed. I just seem so tired after standing and walking in the classroom I can't seem to push myself to do it. But I feel confident I can do the commercials and that would be another starting point for me.

Mary I am glad it could inspire and that even being new that you are already sharing. I have learned so much from my fellow hatters that have both motivated and inspired me. They are an amazing group of ladies for sure as you will learn.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies. Janet & Tarnold awsome scale victories. I am thinking I will step on the scale tomorrw. I do not think I have checked in on it in about a month. I get sooo frustrated with it's lack of movement, but I feel great & my endurance is better than ever, so all is good.

This morning was supposed to be a run day for me, but I joined one of the people in the group doing the Dana Farber walk next weekend on a 8 mile power walk. I feel like It was as much, or a bit more of a work out as my 3.5mile run and I am in pretty good shape for next weekend. I will be sticking with the 13.1 mile walk. The mother of the little girl that motivated me to participate in the walk is doing the 13.1 and the rest of the group (25 people) dropped from the 26.2 down to support her during this time. Hearing a little more of the story today makes me really think about how lucky I am to have a family that has been fourtunate to have it's health. The funeral was this past Friday and it just bring tears to my eyes to think of instead of being excited to be starting a new school year they were holding her funeral.

I hope everyone had a good weekend, give your loved ones an extra hug and live every day to it's fullest. Life is prescious.

kathy
  • charip
    Options
    More Random Thoughts......

I don't want to brag or make anyone jealous or anything,but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

National Girlfriend and Sister's Week
    I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, the hairspray I use, and the friends I have.
    To the cool women who have touched my life. Here's to you!

National Girlfriends Day

If you get this twice , you know you have more than one girlfriend.
    Be Happy!

PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO whomever you like!
    It is good to be a woman:

1. We got off the Titanic first.
    2. We can scare male bosses with mysterious gynecological disorder excuse s.
    3. Taxis stop for us.
    4. We don 't look like a frog in a blender when dancing.
    5. No fashion faux pas we make could ever rival the Speedo.
    6. We don 't have to pass gas to amuse ourselves.
    7. If we forget to shave, no one has to know.
    8. We can congratulate our teammate without ever touching her rear end.
    9. We never have to reach down every so often to make sure our privates are still there.
    10. We have the ability to dress ourselves.
    11. We can talk to the opposite sex without having to picture them naked.
    12. If we marry someone 20 years younger, we are aware that we will look like an idiot.
    13. We will never regret piercing our ears.
    14. There are times when chocolate really can solve all your problems.
    15. We can make co mments about how silly men are in their presence because they aren't listening anyway.

Send this to all the bright women you know and make their day!!!!!

Love ya! Mean it!
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Hi all, still suffer from hot flashes also went thru the "pause" at 45. I a now 52. I gave up and went on bio hormones. Hoping that getting into shape is going to help that somehow.

Sept/oct are my favorite months of the year. I am more a fall winter person.

I am a RN. And up for challenges.

I a almost to goal weight and after that comes maintenance and muscle building. Hopefully!
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good evening all,

I am up for a challenge. So glad that all of you are here to do it with me. Tomorrow is my day to get back on track. I have been off about 2-3 weeks and am ready to hit this thing head on.

HSH and TA I am so happy for both of you, nothing like making a goal and hitting it. HSH even with the stress and wedding you DID it!

For the rest of of you and those I haven't seen post before Hello, welcome and welcome back, you are in for a treat being part of this group. These Ladies are marvelous and make me giggle every day,
    I finally have ORDER in the house and even though the dining room is still in chaos (who uses that room anyway) I am very happy with our progress. My friend John is home from the hospital with new and improved meds to make his cancer bearable. Stepson has appts this week to improve his quality of life and we have gotten estimates for reimbursements after the tree falling on our out building.

Life is good, I am alive and kicking and taking names!

Have a great week my lovely ladies and I will see you here soon
    ~t
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Good morning Mad Hatters!

I figured since it's been a stressful couple of weeks for many hatters - it might be time for a chuckle or two today, because as we all know at our age, sometimes laughter can indeed be the best medicine!

"Laughing can help to diffuse stress, increase your energy levels and allow your body to relax and start to lose weight. There's no need for more than 15 minutes laughing per day to lose up to 5 pounds a year. It might seem less than with an aerobic session, however think about another activity that needs less effort and is similarly entertaining as this one, you won't find any!"

An extra 5 lbs a year from laughing huh... okay, I'll take it! :bigsmile:

STRESS DIET
    This diet is designed to help you cope with the stress that builds up during the day.

Breakfast
    1/2 grapefruit
    1 slice whole wheat toast - dry
    8 oz skim milk

Lunch
    4 oz lean broiled chicken breast
    1 cup steamed spinach
    1 cup herb tea
    1 Oreo cookie

Afternoon Snack
    Rest of the Oreos in the package
    2 pints of Rocky Road ice cream
    1 jar hot fudge sauce nuts, cherries, whipped cream

Dinner
    2 loaves garlic bread with cheese large sausage, mushroom and cheese pizza
    2 chocolate milkshakes
    3 Snickers candy bars

Late Evening News
    Entire frozen cheesecake eaten directly from freezer

(not that ANY of us have EVER done this kinda stress day diet of course... wink wink nudge nudge :laugh:)

Thankfully we now have each other, and a wealth of knowledge and determination, combined with the overall ability of women to excel at the "hard stuff"... all of which is gonna get us each succeeding at our goals!!! Have a wonderful day Mad Hatters!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Snooze, What were you doing at my house while I was eating all this!!! LOL Love it.....

I like the sound of a challenge. Do we pick our own or try to all do the same?

Tonya, glad things are settling down for you.
    Tammy, so glad to see your sucess.I am extremely proud of you!! It is hard to lose even a few lbs for me and I have so far to go , but we're on this trip together all of us. ( I've got my overnight bag packed!!!!)

Janet, I knew you would do well on your trip. Glad you had a good trip and met your goal.

Charip, Good to see you, I LOVE the Random pass down list!!!

Bisland, I am so proud you accomplish so much with your Charity runs . You are a wonderful person.

Welcome to all our new members! I was so tickled...I finally got some reply to my newbie post page!!

I had a wonderful weekend with Moma. She is staying in Flordia with my Aunt and had come up for a while, so it was great to see her and spend more than a day with her. I used her as my inspiration to deep clean some Junk drawers....Do you girls have any? I have 4 in the kitchen !! She sat and looked at magazines while we chatted and I threw away!! If you don't know, I'm a self proclaimed hoarder...I can't throw out things that are still good....magazines, clothes, whatnots, stuff like that. Now,not the trash kind, keeping trash, food, I'm not like that, But I do have clutter. So every time I see a hoarders episode..I grab a large black bag and start looking through drawers and closets...because I can see where they started, to get to where they are now,and I don't want to get there!!! lol

Today's a new day....I overate this weekend, so I'm really going to go low cal. this week .....I mean it!!! LOL

Enjoy yourselves today!!
    G
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Hi , Cheryl, glad you had a great trip!!
    Hello to Mary, Bassgirl and Cynthia,
    I missed seeing your posts when replying earlier.
    I hope you all have a wonderful day!
    G
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!! Congrats to Tammy and Janet! It certainly does help the motivation to see those numbers go down :smile:

Snooozie, I saw your status change to 6 lbs lost this morning, that is SO great!! An IPOM for you and an IPOU for me :wink: Love the diet you posted. It sounds perfect for me. Do you think I can substitute cappuccino crunch for the rocky road and still lose weight?, lol.

Tonya, so glad to see things are calming down a little. Hope your stepson's appointments are fruitful, you'll be in my thoughts.

Ok, update on my daughter. We ended up getting her home on Saturday, and went to the ER. Thankfully, they did an MRI of her brain, and except for a benign anomaly (which could explain her quickness to get irritated with her mother, lol), her brain looks just fine. They gave her medicine for her vertigo and sent her on her way. We're seeing an endocrinologist today for her wildly swinging TSH levels, trying to get her an appointment with an ENT to delve further into the vertigo and sending her back to school on Wednesday. The sudden onset of her rather severe vertigo is curious, but now at least we know it isn't a symptom of something serious. Thanks to you all for your prayers and support... I cannot wait to put this child on that bus tomorrow. At times being the adoring, patient and supportive mother is really hard for me...I can only do it for so long before I want to smack her and say "snap out of it"!!

School starts in two days, and I'm thinking of having wine with breakfast on Thursday to celebrate ;)

I hit my goal of 125 over the weekend, and although I am quite pleased, I am trying to figure out how to best manage "maintenance". I'm having difficulty figuring out the correct amount of calories and exercise. I think it would make the most sense to only weigh myself weekly so I'm not seeing the daily ups and downs, but I don't really trust myself enough to do that quite yet.

Off to the endocrinologist, work and then squeezing my exercise in a some point today.

Hope everyone has a great week, and thanks again!!

-Melissa
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Sorry Cheryl. I know you're wondering...What trip?/ I got my C heryl and Carol mixed up , while catching up on all the posts..But I hope you have a great one when you get to go..LOL
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Good morning Hatters! It's nice to see all the different folks post! I am one of those that lurks but doesn't post much. Have been training for my first 5k in a few weeks and I woke up with a cold this am :( Was sneezing all day yesterday with no other symptoms. I sure hope it runs it course before my 5k and I am able to keep training thru it. I've gained 2 lbs instead of lost the past week or so. I'm hoping that it is muscle gain 'cause I've been good about what goes in my mouth...It can be so frustrating when you are trying so hard and then the roadblocks pop up...Oh well, keep on keeping on!

Have a great day everyone!