Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    thanks for the invite Steve :smile:
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite Steve! I think this group has got the potential to help and inform a LOT of people. :drinker:

With that being said I'm hoping that you start an informative thread or sticky on plateaus and people battling an inability to lose weight due to thyroid issues.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely consider doing that. Are you medicated for your thyroid issues?

I'm shuffling between endocrinologists at the moment to try and get a diagnosis of either hypothyroidism or hasimoto's, shrink a goiter and hopefully be put on medication at last. I've been trying since the start of the new year to drop the 30lbs. that I packed on within 3 months and have been completely unsuccessful no matter what I do.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness all around!! Nothing to really add...yet!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    thanks for the invite Steve :smile:

My pleasure man... very happy to see you here.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite, Steve! I look forward to keeping up with your good advice here.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for joining us over here on the dark side. :p
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to being part of this group! Thanks for the invite!
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve, thanks for the invite! I have to join in on everyone's appreciation for your work. Your writing has truly changed my outlook on fitness & health by 180 degrees. When I read your posts, articles, etc., just a huge DUH flashes across my mind! It all makes sense to me. So for that I thank you, and for simply being "real" with everyone. This group is going to accomplish great things :)

As far as suggestions.. I like how you have topics pinned at the top for the fundamentals. Someone above me mentioned a topic about thyroid issues, specifics. Maybe for every big topic (the thyroid issue under "medical conditions" or something like that) you could add to the list of what you have pinned. That way, when people are searching for an answer within this group they can check there first, versus creating a separate hard to find thread, or even a repeated one. Then other threads can be started to pick at the little things within the big topics.. might help with organization and create a quick, easy way to find answers.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Firstly, thanks very much for the kind words. I love hearing about my writing helping people... means the world to me.

And I love the idea. In fact, I do plan on building out the stickies over time. Some of that build-out will be based on conversations we're having here. Others will be "articles" I'd like to share with the community.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    Thank Steve! I know I can always look to you for advice =D
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks for the invite! :-)
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm sending out a lot of invitations on my friends list. Please say hello when you get here and offer some thoughts or ideas about what you'd like to see in this community.

Hi there Stroutman,

I am not on your friends list and didn't receive an invitation to the group. I just happened to come across it this morning. I have seen some of your posts and liked your no nonsense approach and your wealth of knowledge that you are kind enough to share on here.

I hope to learn a lot here as i'm a relative newbie and haven't really settled on a calorie count that works for me yet. I need to learn a lot about health and fitness and incorporate it in my daily life more than I ever have before. I'm 62 now but it's never too late!

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

I'm very glad you found us... and I appreciate the kind words. You've stumbled upon the right place. If you can formulate some specific questions you'd like me to address in your case, please feel free to start a thread here.

Best!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. I ran the numbers as suggested and this is what I came up with.

For Women: (10 × weight in kg) + (6.25 × height in cm) – (5 × age in years) – 161
    886 + 1047.5 - 310 - 161

= 1462 BMR
    = 1754 TDEE

I'm 5'6"
    BW 229lbs
    CW 195
    GW 160 (for now)

Lost 29lbs doing a very restrictive program and stalled for about 6 months, then discovered MFP through a work colleague. Lost 5lbs in about 6 months.

MFP has my TDEE at 1840 and to lose a pound a week it would put me at 1340 net. I find this very hard to keep to as I'm constantly hungry. I find adding an extra 100-150 much better. I can get this with my 20mins interval cardio which I do 4 times a week and is going well and I can see the fat comiing off and my body fat has dropped from 41.3 to 40.0 in the past 4-6 weeks. I will be doing full body workouts that I can pretty much do anywhere so that I have no excuse :laugh: Starting that this coming Monday. I would love your input and guidance because i've been actually gaining and losing the same few pounds over the last 6 months. Maybe i'm just being a slug? If I am you can say it :wink:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for being here and supporting us all.

Catherine
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    So far I haven't seen a request for you to repost the valuable info contained in "relatively lean women looking to get leaner" which is when I first encountered you. That is pretty much where I am at. I want to lose body fat.
    I am currently using you full-body workouts A and B, every other day and some cardio (25 minutes of keeping my heart rate at 80% max) and am trying to phase in better eating over the next couple of weeks-less carbs, more protein, basically, as well as generally lowering calories and trying carb cycling but warming up to it!
  • chachii26
    Options
    Hi Steve, thanks for sharing the knowledge! your "Resistance Training Tidbits" topic was exactly what I needed!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm sending out a lot of invitations on my friends list. Please say hello when you get here and offer some thoughts or ideas about what you'd like to see in this community.

Hi there Stroutman,

I am not on your friends list and didn't receive an invitation to the group. I just happened to come across it this morning. I have seen some of your posts and liked your no nonsense approach and your wealth of knowledge that you are kind enough to share on here.

I hope to learn a lot here as i'm a relative newbie and haven't really settled on a calorie count that works for me yet. I need to learn a lot about health and fitness and incorporate it in my daily life more than I ever have before. I'm 62 now but it's never too late!

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

I'm very glad you found us... and I appreciate the kind words. You've stumbled upon the right place. If you can formulate some specific questions you'd like me to address in your case, please feel free to start a thread here.

Best!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. I ran the numbers as suggested and this is what I came up with.

For Women: (10 × weight in kg) + (6.25 × height in cm) – (5 × age in years) – 161
    886 + 1047.5 - 310 - 161

= 1462 BMR
    = 1754 TDEE

I'm 5'6"
    BW 229lbs
    CW 195
    GW 160 (for now)

Lost 29lbs doing a very restrictive program and stalled for about 6 months, then discovered MFP through a work colleague. Lost 5lbs in about 6 months.

MFP has my TDEE at 1840 and to lose a pound a week it would put me at 1340 net. I find this very hard to keep to as I'm constantly hungry. I find adding an extra 100-150 much better. I can get this with my 20mins interval cardio which I do 4 times a week and is going well and I can see the fat comiing off and my body fat has dropped from 41.3 to 40.0 in the past 4-6 weeks. I will be doing full body workouts that I can pretty much do anywhere so that I have no excuse :laugh: Starting that this coming Monday. I would love your input and guidance because i've been actually gaining and losing the same few pounds over the last 6 months. Maybe i'm just being a slug? If I am you can say it :wink:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for being here and supporting us all.

Catherine

No idea how I missed this post. Sorry!

Firstly, you say things are heading in the right direction. At least they were when you made this post. Is that still the case? If so, I wouldn't change anything. My opinion of your approach means very little as long as your approach is working.

I typically don't mess with this fancy equations.

Put it this way. If you were my client, I'd start you at about 1800 calories per day of total intake. Or maybe that's what it'd be on days you train and on off days it'd be 200-300 less.

I'd let that ride for a month or so, and if things weren't heading in the right direction, assuming you compliance was good, then we'd adjust that intake down by 10% or so. If your compliance wasn't good, I'd give you a swift kick in the *kitten* and say try it again this month. I'd rinse and repeat this effort until things starting moving.

Sounds so simple because it really is that simple.

:)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    So far I haven't seen a request for you to repost the valuable info contained in "relatively lean women looking to get leaner" which is when I first encountered you. That is pretty much where I am at. I want to lose body fat.
    I am currently using you full-body workouts A and B, every other day and some cardio (25 minutes of keeping my heart rate at 80% max) and am trying to phase in better eating over the next couple of weeks-less carbs, more protein, basically, as well as generally lowering calories and trying carb cycling but warming up to it!

I did create sticky here about this now... hopefully you saw it?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Hi Steve, thanks for sharing the knowledge! your "Resistance Training Tidbits" topic was exactly what I needed!

You're very welcome!