5k + warmup

Options
trizzell79
trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
I have a question about the 5K run at the end of this (which happens to be this Friday!! Yay!) .

How many of you include the 5 minute brisk walk warmup as part of the 5K distance? Or do you do the warm up and then start the actual 5K part.

I'm just wondering, because if you include the walking as part of it you won't actually be running the entire 5K. Maybe I'm over thinking this and should just be happy I'm getting it done! Lol!

Replies

• aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How does the program tell you to do it?
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Nope -- you don't include it. From the Cool Running site's description of the program: "Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog 3 miles (or 30 minutes)."
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone I just hit start and listen as it tells me when to walk and run. So I'm not really sure what to expect. I was wondering what others do.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have my first 5K Saturday, so what I'm going to do is walk around for 5minutes or so while waiting for the gun to go off to limber up. But once that gun sounds I'm going to be running until I can't run anymore.

As far as the apps, I have the Nike+ Running app in addition to my C25K app and I let it tell me how far I've gone. I don't start the Nike+Running app until I'm done with my 5 minute warm up, because I don't want Nike+ to consider that 5min warmup as part of my 5K distance.

Does that help or is it clear as mud?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Don't include it... The goal is to run for 5k