Coconut Oil Newbie

Options
ktkiffer
ktkiffer Posts: 21 Member
Hi all, I'm a newbie to this group... I was diagnosed with post partum thyroiditis after my last baby and am currently in the stages of weaning off of synthroid... I've always struggled with weight loss and the combination of post-baby and hypothyroidism have really thrown me a curve ball. ANYWAYS... I've been reading about coconut oil and weight loss... Just wondering if it's an urban myth :-)

So...If you use it, can you tell me: 1) If it's had any effect on your weight loss, 2) how much you take, and 3) if you count it as part of your calories/fat allotment.

Thanks!

Replies

• backonbandwagon
    Options
    Don't know anything about the myth but I used it in muffins for the family yesterday and everyone is raving :wink: The only benefit I had heard was a friend saying she uses it because it might help reduce elderly memory function decline. Supposed to work great as a hair conditioner too. I just thought it would add a nice flavor it used in a stir fry, then I was going to research all the other uses the health food store person was enlightening me to.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi Ktkiffer,
    Coconut Oil is absolutely amazing! I added it to my diet a few months ago and it kicked me off of a plateau. It also gave me more energy & really helps with the hypothyroidism in all ways. I highly recommend it.
    There are a few threads on this forum you can read through, or do a google search on virgin coconut oil & hypothyroidism. There is lots out there!
    One of the main questions here seems to be whether or not to count your coconut oil on myfitnesspal. I think it is concluded that you should not. For me, I eat 1.33 Tbs @ day (they recommend 1/2 TBS per 50 lbs of wt. & I chose to eat the amount for my goal wt), along with a low carb diet. It does give you energy & help with appetite.
    Make sure you get Virgin Coconut Oil.
    Hope that helps answer your questions.
    Blessings,
    Debby :flowerforyou:
  • ktkiffer
    ktkiffer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks Debby!!! That helps a lot! How do you eat it? I have a couple of recipes for muffins and such but am looking for more ideas!
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You're welcome!
    I like to mix it into things that I am eating. In the morning I eat a TBS of it mixed into my oats. (adds a wonderful flavour). In the afternoon... I eat a concoction made of 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 TBS of C.O. & 1 scoop of oatbran... mixed & then I add water to that... it tastes like cookie dough to me... but I have a very strange diet. You can also use it instead of butter, but if it melts on it, it is kinda greasy. (my tortilla). Some like it in their coffee. Some make a chocolate treat out of it.
    I think you can find recipe's if you search for it on the forum search.
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I also use coconut oil. When I first started taking it, I did see a difference and started to loose some weight (although I have some other issues going on and my weight has crept back on). I typically take 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil. Right now, I do count the calories in my food diary but am rethinking that. If you use milk in your coffee, you can mix some of the coconut oil in with your coffee easily. Otherwise, it gives it a oily texture. Also, if you do decide to use it, gradually add it to your diet. It can cause intestinal distress if your body is not use to it.
  • sallray
    sallray Posts: 6
    Options
    I recently learned about coconut oil watching the Dr. Oz show. He highly recommends it. I am sure the link is on his site if anyone is interested. In addition to weight loss he recommends for killing bad stomach bacteria like h-pylorie that can cause ulcers. Interesting. I will be looking for it today to add to my diet. Thanks for the info from those of you that have tried it.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have it, and used it a couple of times but stopped. Because it was giving me terrible stomach upset. Maybe I should have eased into it. I started off with 2TBS right off. No idea, but maybe I will try it again with a smaller amount first.
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    I take about a tablespoon straight each day with a hot liquid to wash it down (melt it). It's kind of gross/weird at first to make yourself swallow it that way but it works for me.

I'm on levothyroxine and I don't know if the coconut oil actually helps me or not. I don't log the calories, and I have been doing this about three months give or take a couple of days here and there. It may all be in my head, but I do feel like I don't want to do a total faceplant into the nearest soft surface when I get home from work if I take the coconut oil before noon each day. some days I take 2 doses if I'm lethargic in the afternoon.

I say, give it a try- really it can't hurt.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Must try this
    Thanks all
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Found that it bothers my stomach.