More weight exercises

Options
vim_n_vigor
vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
I am on my second week of Stage 1. I'd really like longer strength workouts on my weight days. The 5 exercises as part of this stage are less than what I wanted a day. I mean, come on, I bought all this fancy new weight equipment for my house :wink: .

Does anyone do more weight exercises on weight days that what is in the program? What do you add? Will it really hurt me to add more?

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I don't add anything myself, but if you want longer workouts, just wait. They're coming. Stage 4 & 5 workouts take me approx. 90 minutes, and that's with doing HIIT the next day. :)
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. Im so happy to be almost done with Stage 1. Ive been cheating on NR with Circuit Training here and there. at least unitl the workouts become more challenging
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I understand your thinking because I thought the same thing when I first started Stage 1. You should be dripping in sweat and your limbs too heavy to lift anything additional by the end of each workout. If you are not there, you need to add weight and/or push harder. I believe if the authors of the book had wanted us to start with a longer workout, they would have given us a longer workout. That being said, if you do all of the warm-ups recommended by the book your workout will be longer. Are you doing those too or just the exercises?
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I understand your thinking because I thought the same thing when I first started Stage 1. You should be dripping in sweat and your limbs too heavy to lift anything additional by the end of each workout. If you are not there, you need to add weight and/or push harder. I believe if the authors of the book had wanted us to start with a longer workout, they would have given us a longer workout. That being said, if you do all of the warm-ups recommended by the book your workout will be longer. Are you doing those too or just the exercises?

THIS!! you need to up your weight. you should be exhausted. I only do a 5 min warm up and cool down, and i burn 250 calories with stage 1 workouts.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything Holley said. Plus, longer workouts do not equal better workouts. Stage 1 is the foundation. As you progress into later stages the workouts will take 90+ minutes to complete if you're doing them properly; meaning you do the general warm-up, the exercise specific warm-ups and NEVER skip the cool-down/stretch session.

Be patient and follow the program as written. The authors are experts, listen to them.