Issues Gaining Weight?

Options
JordanLomb
JordanLomb Posts: 20 Member
A place to share your issues and struggles about gaining weight, as well as solutions/support for others' concerns.

Mine is getting over the hard fact that I'm gaining weight and eating foods that I used to enjoy and not thinking about the nutritional value. Exercise restriction is another big stepping stone for me as I like to keep active.

Replies

• eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I really hate the exercise restriction since all my favorite exercise is cardio. I do go for a thirty minute walk every day, though, because it's really good for my mood/mental health. I'm still able to gain (slowly) even with the walk and sometimes things like tennis and swimming. When I get access to a gym again I'm going to start doing more strength training as that is the better exercise for gainers.

It can be frustrating for me to eat, because I'm intolerant to almost all the food I used to enjoy, so eating really isn't as much fun as I'd like it to be. I'm doing the Paleo diet and I know I could make my food more interesting, but I don't like cooking and tend to just cook as quick as possible... which usually ends up with my food kind of bland and boring. It's also super-hard to gain weight when there is almost no food that I can eat out at stores or restaurants! I have to do way too much meal planning and it gets on my nerves.
  • nihlaeth
    Options
    Exercise restriction isn't such a problem for me as I'm bedridden. I barely move at all.

For me the big problem is that I feel sick all the time and I can barely keep those 1500 kcal down. I don't eat because I like it any more, I eat because I have to.

I try to eat the things that at least appeal to me a little, but I can't cook myself and I'm completely dependent on home care so that's problematic too. Also good microwave meals are expensive...
  • pbandshellie
    pbandshellie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is exercise restrictions also. For work, I'm actually a professional dogwalker... so sometimes I walk up to 8 dogs for 30 minutes each a day!! And to get to each dog... I ride my bike. Turns into burning off about 400-800 calories a day - EEEK.
    Because of this I'm trying to eat more carbs than MFP even recommends. It's really, really difficult. I'm not hungry enough to eat over 3,000 calories, especially if it's all breads and pasta!
  • cajean12
    Options
    My problem is reaching my calorie goal everyday. When I wake up in the morning I don't really "feel" like eating, and it feels more like a chore than anything. I find more often than not I'm force feeding myself, and to get the most calories out of what I eat I chose unhealthy foods. What are some things I can do to increase my caloric intake given my relationship with food?
  • acemdd
    acemdd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hi cajean12. i feel like i have to force myself to eat too. in the mornings i drink a ensure nutrition shake and a bowl of cearal. then i just try and snack though out the day. i think pasta is a good thing to eat.
  • neuroman98
    neuroman98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight is a rough thing to do! I'm the type of person who enjoys doing cardio daily and it is really tough trying to get all of those extra calories in. I am using a fitbit (which I find to be priceless) as well, so I can sync this account with the fitbit site and it makes the caloric adjustments each day. Not to say it is making it any easier, but at least it beats guesswork.
    I have found that if you are into cardio and don't want to stop it, using a heart rate monitor really helps. I was always pushing too hard and learned that my workouts can be less intense and still get my heart into the healthy range - and of course that means getting cardio while burning less calories.
    Another thing I have learned is to work out not too long after you have eaten. A friend of mine who really knows about weight loss and gain enlightened me to this. If you work out when you are hungry or it has been a while since you have eaten, your body goes for nutrients/calories in your muscles. Not good, especially when you remember that your heart is a muscle. I'm trying protein bars and shakes as well as upping my carbs as best as I can. Try to find bread that has the highest calories and have a piece with some cheese here and there. It's surprising where you can find a few hundred needed calories without going for full blown junk food. I've done other little things like throw a hard boiled egg in with my lunch for some protein as well as using 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil as salad dressing every day. High calories and good fats.
    Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. I'm really glad I found this community.
    Anyone who wants to friend me, I cordially invite!
  • lourduraj90
    Options
    i don't exercise much. I am a working person and my job is mostly sitting and programming work... I want to gain 6 to 7 kg... I want to gain weight in healthy way. Can you guys give me some suggestions?

One more help,

I look thin but i have a tiny belly... I want to remove belly fat or atleast reduce a bit because it looks odd when i wear t-shirt.
  • newme4me28
    Options
    I have RA and COPD so exercise is tough but would like to add some muscle weight if possible.My goal is to hit 115 and that's more than I have ever weighed without being pregnant. I am 5'5'' about 98 to 100 lbs and hate scales. I eat all the time and usually late in the day. Not good at eating in the morning. I like my coffee.I do not work. I am a garden type person so I don't always just sit around I do cleaning and everyday things. I just can't seem to gain any weight. Please check out my profile and feel free to add anything you may see that I could do different. I joined today in hopes of finding people like me that may have ideas and tips!
  • pbandshellie
    pbandshellie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i don't exercise much. I am a working person and my job is mostly sitting and programming work... I want to gain 6 to 7 kg... I want to gain weight in healthy way. Can you guys give me some suggestions?

One more help,

I look thin but i have a tiny belly... I want to remove belly fat or atleast reduce a bit because it looks odd when i wear t-shirt.

My problem too! So annoying. I've been doing sit ups/crunches. Do low reps and a few sets (the more reps you do in a row, the more calories you burn) so I usually do about 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps as often as possible. Just do them slowly, rushing isn't really necessary for people that are trying to gain :)