Sept 3rd (Monday) Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter

Options

Replies

• hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Snoozie, WOW, I am so proud of you (what is that acronym again?)!!! Fighting through that walk feeling as miserable as you felt was probably the most important thing that you have done since you have been here at MFP. It is just too easy to put off that walk, or that class or fill in the blank with any exercise, for one day that suddenly turns into a month and becomes another reason to return to the sedentary lifestyle that led us here. And once we are sedentary it is sooo easy to “eat through our feelings” great phrase.
    Dear Hatters, Today treat yourselves with the same love and affection that you shower on others!
    Janet
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thanks Snoozie / Janet for the pep talks... so much easier to go exercise when not sitting home like a bump on a log.... will get really serious again after Brian's ECoH on the 13th of Oct - right now that's number 1 - and will fit in time for me as time allows... but definitely making better choices...

And kudos snoozie for getting out there... 5 minutes is better than 0 minutes..
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Way to go Snooozie, on getting thur your walk yesterday.
    I have been lacking in the exercise department myself. My son is going thur a divorce, so on the days he has Audrey (Granddaughter) and he works for us I take her back to school and pick her up. He has to be here at 7:00, By the time I get her to school (30 min away). Run errands while in town and get back it is usually 10:00, then time to start office work. Then back to get her. Then before yo know it, it is time to start supper. And the eating that goes with being on the road is crazy. Another words I have got to find away to figure in some exercise on those days. If I walk or exercise in the evening. It takes me along time to wind down. So then I stay up late and don't want to start early the next morning.
    But that is the busy world we live in.
    Ok enough of my complaining.
    I will get my act together and figure it out.

To all of the ones that have lost weight GREAT GOING!!!!!!
    Love to all the Hatters :smile: And thanks for the laughs. :laugh:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Snoozie what a wonderful reflection. ISoVeryPOU !!! Pushing your self is one thing but reflecting and understanding your past actions and results is a major accomplishment. After so many LOL moments I smiled knowing I returned one to you :flowerforyou:

I am already feeling overwelmed with school after 3 extra days off b/c of the hurricane and Labor day. I worked Sunday and got everything lined out for the week then come home each night (most days I leave at 4) cook and feed the family supper then do another hour or two while watching tv. But I feel I am not doing my best and am looking at revamping my style of instruction. My students seem to be struggling (though this is not so much me as much as most don't think they should have to do any work but rather I should teach them the test and then give them the test :noway: ) and while I know that I can't change to meet everyone individual need I do want to meet as many as possible. That said it is going to take some major hours to accomplish what I am wanting to do and it just never seems enough of those. I like things very organized and I am feeling I am coming apart at the seams most days. I am constantly misplacing things b/c everything is so rushed that I haven't been taking the time to put things in their places and later waste time looking for them when they aren't where they are suppose to be. I guess what I am saying is I want to be more efficient. And I want to be that teacher that inspires students to reflect back on their education and who inspired them. I guess you are wondering where this is going, what you may not understand is I have not been walking or exercising since school started, Soon as school started it was over. I am doing good food wise but I just so tired by the time I finish most night that it is off to bed. Being more efficient would not only improve my teaching but would get me home sooner and hopefully back to at least walking again.

So there it is all laid out on the table. I am feeling good about my choices, good about my numbers, but I am disappointed in myself for not being stronger with this. I did share before school started with my husband my fears about all of this but had hoped that I would have a better handle on things....hmmmm and as I typed that I just thought about last year when I stayed every day until 5, guess that means I have accomplished something. Another ah ha moment there thanks to being about to type things out with you ladies :love:

So now I guess I need to get my work for the night done, its past 9 would like to get to bed by 10. Hope everyone has a GREAT Friday and weekend.
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    TA, Thank you for being a teacher and giving so much of your self to your students. But you are right, you need to take care of yourself too. My husband is a teacher and sometimes I get so frustrated that I tell him that it will be little comfort to me and our kids if he dies of a heart attack and the funeral home is filled with grateful students. I am sure that your family loves you in that same way. It is possible to be a great teacher and still take care of yourself. I think this problem is not unique to teachers, it is one that most of us share. We want to do everything and when the time doesn't allow us to do everything, we give up the time we need to take care of ourselves. The bottom line is that we won't be able to do anything for anyone if we let our health deteriorate. I think it helps if we think of our cardio the same way we would think of heart medication for someone we love. If our spouse was not taking their heart medication, we would be on them like white on rice. So it should be with our cardio, it is as important to our hearts as any medication that we will ever take. So if you would not let your loved one get away with skipping their meds, don't allow yourself to skip your cardio on a regular basis. (although there are some days when there is nothing to do but put your feet up after a long day in front of a classroom) And there is no such thing as a perfect teacher, a perfect nurse, a perfect lawyer or a perfect anything (And heaven knows there is no perfect parent!). So we need to accept that we will do the best of which we are capable while we are also taking care of ourselves.
    Kudos to all teachers, I sometimes teach religious education classes to 13 year olds and at the end of the two hour class, I am wiped out, I honestly do not understand how you do it day in an day out!
    Janet
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    TA, I am so thankful for the teachers that care about their students, and it is not just a paycheck to them. I know a lot goes into it. ai am like you you ever since school started I haven't been exercising, but unlike you I have not made wise choices in the eating area.
    Duty calls, I meant to say the husband calls.:laugh:
    Have a good day Hatters.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Good morning Hatters.. and happy Friday!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend; and takes a little time for themselves at some point, even if it’s just long enough for a bubble bath or whatever takes your fancy!

Janet: thanks very much (and the acronym is IPOU lol) I’m not proud to admit it but I’ve always been good at making excuses when it comes to exercise; and I know this is going to be an even bigger struggle for me than the food choices; and its why I’ve been letting myself coast til now. I’ve had to finally accept my morning walks are just for pleasure now, and I know I am still fighting a commitment to exercise mentally, But I set myself a goal last Monday of deciding within a week what I was going to do, and yesterday.. I did it. (I’ll post over the weekend what I’m going to do as I’m pretty sure I’m going to need the accountability factor from the Hatters lol). But I’m still a little scared of even starting it, let alone still thinking about the “what ifs”. Know I have to lose that line of thinking so I’ll work on it over the weekend lol. Hope you have a great weekend – when is the big shopping excursion btw???

TA: I think its awesome that you want so much for your students; my sister struggled a lot and in grade 7 or 8, had a teacher who made the difference for her; he was probably the reason she stayed in school and graduated so know that indeed, teachers touch our lives for many years to come (I loved my grade two teacher LOL.. I still remember Mrs Burnett!) It’s no wonder though that you feel like you’re coming apart at the seams some days; you are putting in so much time and effort and by the sounds of it, some days feel like you’re just running in circles. Honestly, I had a huge wake up call when I went back to work after my vacation; watching my eating and moving while having a week to myself was pretty easy, but once I was back to work I suddenly ran out of hours in the day.. and I only have to look after ME when I get home, let alone a family! I wish I could offer some useful advice about how to get the work stuff figured out, but all I have to offer is a hug. But.. as to the lack of exercise since you went back, it’s no wonder considering your day (and Cheryls too!) and feeling disappointed, I personally think you’ve got too much on your plate right now to add in more stress about not being able to get some in.. but I understand what you’re feeling too (been there), so maybe there’s some small compromise for the moment that will keep you from feeling that way and still get in movement?? I was thinking maybe decide for a few weeks that you will aim for just a 15 min walk every day; either when you first get home from work, or after dinner maybe with hubby, a stroll around the neighbourhood, not some big huge workout but just 15 minutes of walking (assuming the weather co operates!) I don’t know if that’s even a possibility considering your schedule, but that way you could banish any bad feelings because it may be an attainable goal every day? At least for a few weeks until you can get some breathing room in? Just a thought, but if it’s not doable at all, then please don’t stress yourself out.. you’ve done awesome in your journey, and you’re still acing your food choices, so a couple of weeks of adjustment time will not derail you. And we’ll be here for ya anytime you need a hug or a boost! And congrats on sticking more closely to the 4pm departure this year.. you are indeed making progress!! Well done!

Cmb: now that I know what an ECOH is; can’t imagine the work you’re putting into it! Kudos on staying focused on the food choices too!

Well, I started a list last night of everything I want to get done over the next week; It seems to be growing by the minute so I’d best be getting started…
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi All- It's been awhile...I seem to be in a rut, just going through the motions. I log everyday and staying pretty good with staying under, it's the exercise that's lacking. I was doing so well and then....well you know. Snooozie- I can relate to how you felt yesterday, but you worked through it, kudos to you! I need to get back in the groove!
    Had my sticthes on my thumb taken out yesterday, doc says the wound is looking good, my blood pressure on the other hand is consistently too high. So...I'm now on three BP medicines. I also got the results of ultrasound (I had a break through period after 16 months) seems I have thickening of the endometrical wall, so she is sending me to another doc to check it out. I'll keep you posted.
    Hope everyone has a great weekend! I know I don't post very often...but I want you ladies to know how much I appreciate your support - thank you!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Mazie - glad to hear the thumb is healing; sorry to hear about all the bp meds, but hopefully this last one he added will start bringing it down? did he give you any advice to how to bring it down (other than the ever so popular "lower your stress levels" ?? and you said it perfectly.. just going thru the motions... that's been me with the walking and I know I have to psych myself up for next week but I'm not feeling the mojo.. yet..! Anything we can do to help you find yours?
  • Snooozie
    Options
    P.S. Janet.. I keep forgetting to ask.. did you ever go see that new doc? and if so, was he invested in you or a goof ?
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hello…My friends, Feels like forever since I’ve been on here. Should I re-introduce myself? Ok ….well, maybe not.. It is Friday!! So I’m leaving work early. Yeah!! Sorry, I think I ‘m on a sugar high. I did so much extra exercise yesterday, that I must have needed some sweets….because did I ever overload. If it was sweet, I had a little of it, from 4:00 o’clock until bedtime… I did keep it to small amounts, though.
    I am Hopeful that I WILL keep up the extra exercise. It will part of my Sept. Challenge to myself. I need to do something else, though….. still thinking on it.

I know Enjoy is not the right word I am looking for, but when I read everyone’s daily problems that they may be going through with children, husbands, friends, health, it seems to make this big ‘ole world just squeeze down real small. We all have the same issues at different times in our life, no matter whether we’re small or large, rich or poor. Just a thought.

Sending out love and prayers to those in need. Huge congrats to everyone. You have all done so much good things for yourselves. I know sometimes the bad things seem to outweigh the good, but the good is always so much bigger and better. And No, that is not a correct sentence, but it will have to do. I am running out of time. ( Trying to type fast.)

Everyone enjoy yourself and be good to yourself.
    G
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I had fabulous responses to everyone’s marvelous progress and incredible words of encouragement for those who needed it and then *poof* it was gone (or perhaps I accidentally closed the window and lost it?). One of you made me laugh out loud when you wrote “oh, look, something shiny”! Us hatters…so easily distracted!

So, alas, I will try again…

Snooozie, your Thursday walk was a quintuple IPOM! Let’s review: didn’t want to walk, but did anyway (IPOM), walked instead of eating chips and cookies (IPOM), went around the lake one more time (IPOM), introspection (IPOM), and finally, talked yourself through an emotional moment (IPOM). Personally, I think talking yourself out of an emotional moment should count double, which would give you a total of 6 (a sextuplet, I believe). Not turning to food for comfort…life style change!!! Congratulations my friend!

Kathy, don’t know if you’ll see this before the big day, but I have my fingers crossed for no rain. You go girl!!

Janet, as always so good at putting our behavior into words. A day that turns into a month and eating through our feelings are both so true! Thanks for your suggestions about maintenance. There isn’t a lot of activity on those threads, but I do have a couple of friends who are in the same place (and a lot who aren’t but are very supportive…thanks Gail!!) . It is a struggle!

Carol, I know when I typed my first draft there was a lovely picture of you…now it’s some damn bird! I did get a good enough glimpse that when I see you on the boardwalk next summer I will recognize you, lol! Congratulations in making the transformation and best of all for seeing it in yourself!

Gail, hooray on the weight loss and all those stairs (OMG, there is nothing that will get your heart pumping like stairs!). Thanks for the messages and being my friend :smile:

Tonya, glad I could add some comic relief to your life…I know you can use it! And it certainly helps to know I’m not alone on the “daughters can make you crazy” train!! Excuse me, Mr. Conductor, I’d like to get off this train and get onto the “sugar and spice and everything nice, living happily on her own” train instead.

Mazie, good to see that smiling face again. Glad the thumb is on the mend.

And now, back to “As the daughter turns”, brought to you by your insurance co-pay…she’s back at school!! Halle-frickin-lujah! Nothing negative in any of the tests (thyroid is a little off, and she will start synthroid, but not the cause of all the symptoms), thinks she passed out on the bus because she felt faint, vomited and thinks she has a bump on her head (Oh for goodness sakes…man up, girl!!). BUT the good news is that she went to all four classes today, made it through and has lived to talk about it!! The day before she left, finally got into the ENT who said there were no crystals in her ear, that the medicine was only to be used if she really needed it, and that actual spinning was good for her and would basically “re-set” her equilibrium. So she went to her ballet class today and felt better after the class. I hope this is the end of all this craziness!

For all of you who shared your personal vertigo stories, I thank you (and my daughter, although she doesn’t know you nor your stories thanks you, because it made me far more sympathetic). And I did enjoy your stories a lot…Three Dog Night, Janet? I can just picture those nuns!

Off to watch my son play football, and then on the road tomorrow to watch my other son’s soccer game. I’ve been hanging in there, but made some bad decisions yesterday and am trying to rein myself in. What idiot thought it was a good idea to bring home a blueberry pie? Oh, that would be my husband.

Here’s hoping you all have wonderful, good to yourselves weekend, and as always thanks!!!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful support both on this message board and private messages.

This is such a wonderful and supportive group. And T2 is exactly right about how we all do go through roughly the same battles just in our own time. It helps to know that I am not alone in my feelings and hearing how others have dealt with some of the same issues or situations in their lives.

Now for a NSV: We have blue jean Friday at our school each week. This week I slipped a part of my jeans on and they were a bit big but I didn't really feel they were that large. Well I was wrong. I spend all day looking like some of those silly boys wearing their " saggin pants" :noway: Anyone that knows me how those saggers irritate me. When I got home I stood before the dresser looking in the mirror as I held the waistband out looking at the space I slipped my arm in the pants !!! So it is safe to say that if you have room to put your arms by your sides inside your pants, the pants ARE to BIG :blushing: Next I tried on an older pair of jeans that I have worn in I know longer than a year but I suspect two years and they fit. Realization is that yes even when we see the weight dropping and even when we are purchasing smaller clothes that sometimes our brains still keep us trapped in those old visions.

Both this realization and the fact that I am making progress @ school gives me hope that I am becoming the person I want to be both physically and mentally. The renewing of the mind is imo the most important battle on this journey. If you can't visualize the victory how can you truly believe it is achievable? I can say this time is the FIRST time in my numerous attempts to break free of this being overweight bondage, that I have the belief that I will see my goal become a reality. We have all shared how important it is to acknowledge and learn from our mishaps and get right back on the wagon seeing it as a single STEP and not THE JOURNEY. Many of us have been really struggling the last few weeks, some physically others mentally and some even both physically and mentally.

I challenge each of my wonderful ladies to reflect on where you started and where you are today. Acknowledge you achievements, they may seem small when seen individually but when seen as a group that are a powerful picture of who you are becoming. Visualize who you are becoming !!!

Wishing you each a wonderful, beautiful, and most blessed weekend. God has blessed us with some rain and cooler temps I am hoping ( I know I should be planning :blushing: ) to get in a walk later today after getting some work done for this upcoming week. I have thought about my exercise and have come to the conclusion that if I can at least walk on weekends that it still more than I have ever done for most of my life. So for now that is what I am aiming for, two days a week and any additional days off from the classroom. It seems small but it is a starting point that I believe is achievable and that I can build on as my time increases when I get a handle on this teaching year !!!!

LOLOL so funny how often I begin closing only to come to another important step on this journey. :bigsmile:
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have been rather busy this week have been keeping up with everyones posts, but too busy to put my 2 cents in as the saying goes. Tarnold, I agree with the other posts. You can only be as good to your students as you are to yourself. I know none of us woman really live to this, but we should. As woman we juggle so much with work/home family & tend to put ourselves on the bottom of the list. My son is old enough now that I can take some time to myself, but now it is hard with Mom getting some dementia. I just do what I can and consider the exercise time sort of "give myself a hug time".

My big walk is tomorrow & I am on vacation this coming week. This is a last minute vacation for me. I have a position that it is difficult to get time off, but am maxed out on my earned time. I had planned on the last week of September, but my coworker is going out on leave for surgery, so I was asked at the last minute to change it. & I have put in for more weeks over the next few months. The weather is supposed to be beautiful this week, so I am thinking some nice day trips & maybe get that mountain hike in.

Well hope everyone has a great day!!!
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    @ Merobi - my b4 and after pictures are still in the gallery - lol.... but that doggone bird kept making noise - and my husband and son gave one of the birds on the beach a mole crab for lunch.... it's a picture of a generic bird from the internet....

And of coursse totally understand about sweets in the house... for us we have a hostess outlet in town....

My wonderful / absentminded son wouldn't listen so of couse didn't take a lunch the first day of school (full day of course) ... maybe his stomach will remind him to make better choices the next time....

@Tanya - lol about the jeans - isn't that the best feeling?

See you again soon.... got to get back at planning the ECoH for my son....
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Heading out for brunch with friends, but wanted to pop in and grab my pom poms to cheer Bis on her walk this morning...!! Can't wait to hear it it went Bis!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bis! :bigsmile:

TA: Just saw your loss posted... wayyyy to go!!!! Doing the happy feet dance for you.. you must be feeling awesome this morning! Big hug and congrats!

will post more after brekkie....not too worried about my choices as the place is known for its decorative fruit platters...but i am gonna splurge a little with something i wouldnt make for myself....which actually leaves me a lot of choices.... :laugh:

Have a great day hatters!
  • hairsprayhon
    Options
    The indoor tennis season started today, and NSV, the tennis clothes that I have been buying in size 16 or xl all fit!!! Putting my clothes out last night took a while because I couldn't decide which outfit to wear.
    I posted a blog about my life long tennis clothes obsession, and speaking of tennis if you want to be inspired google WTA Strong is Beautiful

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/hairsprayhon/view/tennis-players-strong-is-beautiful-419269
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    hairspray - loved your blog.... very nice... and also looked at the website too....

isn't it great to have too many choices in smaller sizes? "smile"

congrats on your daughter's success on the court too...

Carol
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I want to thank all the support I recieved today from my Hatter friends. Your cheering from the sidelines kept me moving & to be honest the 13.1 miles was actually easier than I anticipated. I kept a good pace going & at times even did a little jogging to get around groups of walkers that were slowing me down. The group of ladies I walked with call themselves "Tough Warrier Princes" They are a group of woman who have formed their own non-profit to support people & families dealing with cancer. One of the members Tina is a cancer survivor and she is also the woman who just lost her 9yo daughter Emma to cancer. Today the team walked in Emma's Memory & we helped to raise 8 million dollars for cancer research for Danna Farber Hospital in Boston.

This amazing group of woman mostly live in my community & step up to the plate where ever it is needed, It might be providing transportation, child care, doing your yard work, sitting with you in the hospital, whatever is needed they will do. They have asked me to join them & I would love to, but with my Mom's issues I just can not commit to it.

The down side of today was the poor food choices that were available. Snacks were mostly cookies, chips and pizza that were donated. I should have anitcipated it & brought more of my own along. I noticed this same issue with the sponsors of the Olympics. Did anyone else notice all the comercials were for fast foods & definatly not what I would consider healthy.

Well time to put my feet up, thanks again friends. kathy
  • Snooozie
    Options
    THREE CHEERS FOR THE HATTERS! :drinker:

Looks like it was an awesome day in Hatterville – so many NSV’s, goals met, pounds lost, good choices and precious time spent with family.. you are all amazing women and truly, you all inspire me every day; I don’t always get to post or PM specific things that are said or shared that impact me personally, but hope you all know every one of you MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

I had a good day in choices and in pushing myself more in the exercise department, and more importantly, I made a FABULOUS vegetable soup tonight (I can say that.. because much of what I make is often inedible, and because I seem to be throwing out a lot of fresh veg that go bad before I can use em) but this one turned out yummy, and when I plugged everything into the recipe calculator it only came out to about 30 calories a cup! I had a bit of leftover chicken which I threw in later along with a handful of brown rice, and added the ingreds, and it still only came out to around 50 calories a cup.. so I had 2 cups for dinner LOLOL.. but I’m going to freeze it down and start thinking about maybe trying some more soups… I’ve never been a big fan (especially in the hot weather) but.. it’s very filling with all the veg and might be just the thing to have on hand for the emergency starving moments.

Anyway, I’m enjoying a coffee while I type and then going to have a bubble bath and jammie up with a book – tomorrow is my dreaded doctor appt after the blood tests; I’m keeping my fingers crossed she will give me yet a few more months to keep trying before the diabetes meds, but… she’s already extended it so I’m kinda prepared just in case.. but hopefully HER scales will agree with mine and show a loss since my last visit.. if not, it’s possible I may have to be restrained and carried out LOLOL..
    I’ll start a new thread in the morning before I leave, but want to get a few replies in tonight: