Needs some assurance please

Options
I was hoping someone more experienced could check my numbers for me. I'm not confident I am doing it right. My height is 61 inches....or 5'1". My weight is 161 lbs. I'm only lightly active right now. I have a 10 week old baby and am taking things slow. I'm not doing any weight lifting right now but I surely intend to.

Is it ok to just jump right into weight lifting when I'm considered obese or should I bring my fat percentage down a little first?

The numbers I got are: BMR 1500 TDEE 2062 TDEE -15% 1753

Also I am Breastfeeding full time and "they" say you burn 300-500 extra calories doing so. Would I eat 1753 calories ( if that indeed is the correct amount) plus the additional 300-500 calories I burn from nursing?

I appreciate any help I could get. Thank you so much!

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You can start exercising as soon as you feel up to it.

There is no body composition requirement to start lifting so go for it! (I'm 5 ft, 219 pds and 51 years old)

As to the breastfeeding calories, I believe the number is more like 500 additional calories (but can probably be Tweaked like everything else) and that you are to eat those calories every day no matter what.

So your Cut would be the 1753 + 300-500 per day.

And hey, congrats on your new baby!!:flowerforyou:
  • Nina1007
    Options
    Thank you!!! She is the most precious little thing! And thank you for looking over my numbers. I will definitely start up lifting sooner rather than later. I wasn't sure if it was ok being that I'm so mushy. But it's probably better to do it now BECAUSE of that. Thanks again!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yup. Lift away as soon as you feel up to it and get the ok from your doctor, and eat your breastfeeding calories! Welcome to the group, and congrats on your wee one :)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    For exclusive breastfeeding such as with a 10 week old, go with 500 extra calories. I wouldn't drop down to 300 extra calories until baby is doing solids well. Also, just in case you're unaware, if you search for breastfeeding when you do your food diary you can add in your calories. It will give you -500 calories. I like to do it that way because it's easy to keep track.

Also, I applaud you for wanting to take care of you with a new baby. A word of caution based on my own experience of jumping in right away postpartum and then crashing - give yourself time and ease into it.

And congrats on your new little one. Newborns are so squishy and fun!
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Being obese is probably an even better reason for lifting as the muscle mass will burn off more calories, helping you lose excess fat.

And congratulations on the little one.
  • Nina1007
    Options
    Thank you all! I just love my new little one sooooo much :)

And thank u for all the help. I will definitely stick with the 500 breastfeeding calories and start lifting much sooner then I had planned. Thanks again!