Welcome ~ Please Intro.

Options

Replies

• amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Amy. I'm 48 & live in Jacksonville, Florida.

I have T2D and take Novolog and Levemir. I've taken other Insulins in the past and once I was on 2 diff pills, but, they weren't effective.

I joined MFP on May 24, 2012. I've enjoyed the changes that have come with eating much less and beginnging to exercise. I am always looking for more ways to exercise with my bad back. I have disk trouble at disks: L3-L4-L5-S1.

Since joining MFP, my blood sugar has taken a big plunge and I am taking a lot less Insulin than I was.

I'm happy now!
    Amy
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I introduced myself several months ago, but haven't bee very active in this group, until now. This week the nurse case manager for my insurance carrier decided that I need to start monitoring glucose and ordered a meter. I have a lot of questions and suddenly my focus is off strictly weight loss and exercise and on to this monitoring mode. I've gotten some good answers to my questions in the past two days. Thanks.
    I'm 59 and live near Washington, DC. I'm involved in animal rescue and rehoming when I'm not working at a private University. I welcome new friends.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi blueimp, I'm glad you're finding the group helpful. You have done well to achieve your weight loss to date. Being diagnosed as either pre-diabetic or diabetic can result in information overload as various professionals fire information at us. Take your time, focus on one thing at a time and when you're comfortable with your progress then move on to the next thing. Don't forget that we are engaged in a change of lifestyle and that this takes time. There ar lots of people in the group who monitor daily and will be only too willing to answer your questions. There seems to be a different attitude to testing in the US from the poicy here in the UK. Daily testing in the UK is restricted to type 1s and those type 2s who are on insulin. Having said that, there is some lobbying to extend daily testing to all diabetics. I wish you well for the future and have sent you a friend request.
  • SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

my name is Sun and I was diagnosed July 18th 2012. It was my first general checkup with 35.. and bam, there it was. I always thought I might become a T2D with my weight, diet and desk job, but I thought I had a couple more years. I actually told a friend that I fear a diabetes diagnose the night before I got the results.
    My 1AC was close to 10, my fasting blood sugar that day 244.
    Felt bad for a couple of hours, then decided that I will not take meds as long as possible by controlling it by dieting and exercise. Guess it helps that I'm an optimistic person.
    I was however how very surprised how fast the results kicked in.
    Enjoyed 3 more days of eating my favorite unhealthy foods, then started to change my diet and take walks. Lost about 3kg in the first week.
    Within 10 days my fasting blood sugar was down to 100. and I decided to not even start taking Metformin.
    Then added strength training (3x a week 1 hour), and currently I average 82 over the day (4 measurements).
    As my levels are currently very good, I will reduce the measurements, as I have to pay for the stripes myself, insurance covers them only if you are on insulin as a T2D.

Next goal: stop smoking. That will be harder than the eating and the exercise. I will stop as soon as I reach 86 kg, so roughly 3 kg or 3 weeks to go.
  • mneufeldt
    Options
    Hi I'm Maria, age 45, first grade teacher and for all my education - I sure didn't listen the last few years. I was pre-diabetic for 3 years before crossing the line and being officially diagnosed diabetic last week. I know a lot of the general science, since most of my cousins and my brother are diabetic. But the day to day stuff seems really overwhelming right now! I have about 80-90 pounds to lose, and I am not fit. Also have hbp and high cholesterol, and acid reflux. Remarkable that I wasn't diagnosed sooner, actually.

Biggest challenge will be finding time to exercise each day, and cooking. Along with teaching, I coach a robotics team 4 afternoons a week, and I have an active 12 year old. I also live in Alaska, so produce can be harder to get in the winter, and "fresh" has a different meaning. I can't believe potatoes and whole wheat bread are evil... One would have hoped that eggplant and turnips would be banned. :laugh:

Ah well, one day at a time here. I am just diagnosed, so I haven't even picked up my glucometer yet. I'll find out what meds I will need in the next two weeks. I will probably need to do some sort of non-hormonal birth control too, since I am pre-menopause and Metformin can increase fertility.
  • texasfred
    texasfred Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Fred and I just came over to this site because it has a lot more to offer with well maintained information. I have used another simular site for a few years and have learned to be honest in what I log and have maintained a 5.4 to 5.6 A1C for the past few years and have reduced my Metformin down to 1/2 tablet a day! Added benefit has been a significant weight lose! I have added the Fitbit in hopes of enjoying an improving lifestyle. I love to travel so being able to access this info from my phone is very important to me. Having real time access to my daily intake helps me manage each day with very minimal effort!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sun, Maria, and Fred,
    Glad you've found ths group. I was diagnosed in June, and joined then. However I wasn't very active until my c ase manager decided to start me on glucose readings. First day fasting was 240 and I almost passed out from shock. Friends her gave me some good education and advice. Readings have been well into my target range since. I'm here to learn and to share what I can. Maria, no foods are evil, just some of them require moderation -- and every body is different; it's actually interesting to see the effects of different foods. While I have come over the years to like vegetables, the fresher the better, because I live alone, I frequently buy frozen veggies to deep them from spoiling.
    I'm 59, live outside of Washington, DC, and volunteer with animal rescue and rehoming when not working full time at a private university.
    Welcome again, glad you're here!
  • shellanddiabetes
    Options
    I joined myfitness yesterday and thought I would pop in and say Hello- Please feel free to call me Shell- I am very new to diabetes and was only diagnosed in July of this year so I am steal learning but have managed to loose around 17kg's so far.

I am a mum of 2 adult children one of which has 2 chronic illnesses and he is my inspiration as when he is at his sickest he is all ways smiling and happy and takes nothing for granted.

I live in Australia and I hope to get to know some of you soon

Be good to yourself there is only 1 of you...
    Hugs
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Shell and welcome to the group. Being newly diagnosed can be a confusing experience with feelings of information overload and understandable concerns. Take your time to look at the various boards on this and similar groups and get a feel for things. If you haven't yet been given a referral for a diabetes education course in your area I suggest that you follow that up. It will give you lots of useful information, make you aware of complications which can arise from unmanaged diabetes, and point you in the right direction regarding your nutrition. Use your discernment particularly with regards to nutrition because there are differences of opinion as to what is or is not appropriate. When you're ready to ask questions you will find that people in this group are very supportive and willing to share whatever knowledge they have with those of us who are still learning. We are all different and you will find that what works for one person may not work for you. It really is a case of learning to be in tune with your body and trying different approaches until you find what suits you best. Feel free to add me as a friend if you think that I may be able to help. I wish you well in your journey to an active and healthy life dv.
  • shellanddiabetes
    Options
    Robert,
    Thank you so much for your reply- Things are going smoothly for me at the moment- Have dropped 17kg's and my Blood glucose have dropped back to normal range- I am still on medication but hope to come off them rather sooner than later.

Unfortunately I am unable to get in to my diabetic educator until the beginning of October so a little while to go.. but I seem to be managing at the moment on my own but it's nice to know of others that are willing to help when things get a little confusing.

Take Care
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    So I get really busy for a few days and we get lots of new people. I'm currently working on my last final for summer quarter and filling out a job app that has a deadline of today so I'm still a bit busy. I just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone and I'm glad you found us. There is a wealth of knowledge here and there is usually someone to answer your questions. Welcome all of you!
  • cbormac
    Options
    I'm new to this thanks to a friend. She is concerned and wanted to help... I am trying to fight diabetes without insulin and with diet and exercise... any helpful tips would be great...

Chris
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this thanks to a friend. She is concerned and wanted to help... I am trying to fight diabetes without insulin and with diet and exercise... any helpful tips would be great...

Chris

With type II it can be done, I was never on insulin but with diet and exercise I've been able to drop my A1C from the high 9s into the low 6s and get off my drugs. It can be done with out drugs but don't leave out the doctor.
  • wcucats77
    Options
    HI... I was given the news on August 8 that I had a Fasting number of 101 and a A1C of 6.5. This was the first time I had a reading over 5.8(A1C) and only 2nd over 100 fasting and because I have a family history of diabetes with everyone on mother side and a few on my fathers side. My mother was diagnosed at 57 and was overweight by about 30 pounds and had a number 7.1. All her siblings didnt take care of themselves and complications hit in their 70's, where as my mother lost weight and was strict and able to stay off meds(metafornin) untill she was 79, today she is 80 and more importantly no complications. Again, she was very strict about her diet and just walked daily. Because of my history, my doctor who is an endocronologist in Louisville, KY. where I reside is also very versed in lipids. That is why I went to her 3 times a year to watch cholesterol and sugar. As she explained,I was dealt a bad hand with genes and have BMI of 27.1.She wanted me to start metafornin, but I told her I wanted to try diet and exercise. She agreed to see results from next test. Since August 8, I have lost almost 10 pounds, from 201- 191.6. She strongly urged me to get to 185.

Since my number was 6.5, she is retesting me in November. Question to all, I am thinking many have tried this strategy exercise and diet and my exercise has been intense 6 days a week. I am 58 years old and thinking my history is following the same course as what my mom went through. The nutrionist has set me up to have no more than 150 carbs, which is a little more than my average, of 148. I have measured as my doctor suggested once a week and readings have been 2 hours after eating. The readings have been 92 in the doctors office . The others have always been read 83, 94, 92 and only once after fasting early morning number was 121. two hours later it was 95.

Thanks to everyone for reading and any responses as to their thoughts on my strategy. So far it has not been to bad and only an inconvieance. It is an unsettling experience, but with focus, family and everyone support I belive it is very manageable. I hope that is not naive. Also, I am celebrating today my 36 anniversary , so I went out to dinner and only had one glass of Chardonay. Any thoughts on drinking low carb drinks, never more than 2 now.

I am also Director of Sales for packaging company and travel often. Thank goodness all hotels today have execise equipment and eating often at Cracker Barrel when not entertaining for vegetable plates. Goal by November of 183-185 weight. A1C reading back to 5.6, fasting back to normal prior test 96.
  • B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Options
    Hi all, I have been a member of MFP for a little over a month. My main reason to join, was to be able to track my weight loss, food /calorie intake and exercise. I have just learned of this group and look forward to motivating and sharing experiences with others, who are diagnosed with Diabetes.

I have type 2 diabetes. My father, Aunt and two Uncles died from complications with type 2 diabetes. My doctor told me to lose weight or I will be looking at going on insulin. That's a scared straight scenario for me. I am 6'4" and started at 263lbs. I am currently at 248lbs. My goal is 210Lbs. I hope by losing the weight and getting on a regular exercise program, to be able to come completely off my meds.
  • Sharonks
    Options

Chris

Welcome Chris,

It can be done and many have been able to control BG using diet and exercise. The key thing is to record food and activity and test often. Eventually you will figure out what your body wants and may be successful with it. For most people that means eating lower carbs, combining carbs with protein or fat, and regular exercise. I have even known people who walk a few times a day to keep their BG steady. Be aware that sometimes diet and exercise is not enough and there is no shame in taking meds. The goal is to stop the rot and if taking meds does that then it is all good.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    Welcome Wcucats,

Glad you found us and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. Keep up the good work!
  • Sharonks
    Options
    Welcome Bighog,

You are off to a great start. Eating healthy and exercising will help your BG and MFP can help you keep track of it all. We have a great, supportive, and knowledgeable group here so I'm glad you found us.
  • musicmuse58
    Options
    Hi all

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 weeks ago. I am on 500 mg of metformin 2x daily. My sugars were over 300, but by keeping my carbs in the 100-125 mg per day range, I have brought my fasting blood sugar down to 131. My goal is below 120. I have been loosing weight steadily for the past 7 months (50 lbs so far), but watching my carbs is really accelerating the pace for now.

This application is very helpful, but I do find it annoying that i cannot adjust my "goal" carbs each day, they always want me to eat more carbs, but I just ignore the app and pay attention to my readings 2 hours post meals. I make adjustments when needed. Glad to find this group here, I am in it for the long-haul and hoping to avoid serious medical complications.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Welcome and great job on 50 lbs lost so far! You CAN adjust your carb goals on MFP, not by the day but by a percentage of your daily calories. Just click the tab at the top that says "My Home" and after the page loads, click the word "Goals" then click "Change Goals" and another page will load asking if you want MFP to calculate them automatically or if you want to manually set custom goals. Select the manual method and go in and lower the percent of your total intake that should be carbs, which will raise either protein or fat. Just adjust the three of them until each is at the percentage you'd like it to be and together they total 100%.

You've made such a lot of progress already with your weight and your glucose levels. Keep up the good work!