Dealbreaker- not liking your pets?

Options
13»

Replies

• poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Actually, I find it quite startling that the peeps would choose a pet over the love of another human being.

So why do you guys want a partner then? Seems to me like your life is fulfilled with the love of an animal??

Forgive me, I'm not against animals, but I've been allergic since childhood so I've never formed a bond with one. I'm genuinely interested in how you can decide an animal is more important in life?

I mean, if the love of my life has a dog, I'd live on anti histamines to accommodate him, but you guys dont seem to want to make any sacrifice here..................so??

I don't see my dog as any kind of love of my life... but I do see him as a child. He is dependent on me and I took on that responsibility. I'm guessing if someone had serious issue with my dog it would never get close to love with them.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Interesting responses peeps :flowerforyou:

I doubt if anyone would resign themselves to singledom for the rest of their life because of a pet. But the way I understand it is that the lifestyle of a pet owner is going to require someone compatible/empathatic and preferably someone who dotes on the pet too.

I guess that's why they ask the question on most dating sites?

I agree with Janie, taking meds isnt great. And sometimes feels just as uncomfortable as the allergy itself. But my ex is a huge pet lover and I would rather be with him than not. So you make compromises and sacrifices as with most things in life. I think it goes both ways though, I certainly would die (my allergy is asthma) if I had to sleep with the dog!! (no meds are THAT good!) :laugh:

I agree the ultimate fix for someone like me,and Janie, would be to get a dog that is dander free, or a different type of pet. I think tortoise are cool (but possibly illegal now.....lol) or a rabbit? Can you take them for walks?? :bigsmile:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

I doubt if anyone would resign themselves to singledom for the rest of their life because of a pet. But the way I understand it is that the lifestyle of a pet owner is going to require someone compatible/empathatic and preferably someone who dotes on the pet too.

I guess that's why they ask the question on most dating sites?

I agree with Janie, taking meds isnt great. And sometimes feels just as uncomfortable as the allergy itself. But my ex is a huge pet lover and I would rather be with him than not. So you make compromises and sacrifices as with most things in life. I think it goes both ways though, I certainly would die (my allergy is asthma) if I had to sleep with the dog!! (no meds are THAT good!) :laugh:

I agree the ultimate fix for someone like me,and Janie, would be to get a dog that is dander free, or a different type of pet. I think tortoise are cool (but possibly illegal now.....lol) or a rabbit? Can you take them for walks?? :bigsmile:

I had a rabbit when I was younger. He was trained to walk on a leash. When I took him to the MN state fair I got some strange looks when I walked him into the barn but most people just wanted to pet him.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Yes! Or at least tolerates. My last boyfriend tolerated my cats, which was fine. He never mistreated them or was mean to them. If they jumped into his lap he might pet them he might not. That was totally okay with me.

On the flip side of that I come across a lot of animal lovers that have different ideas than I do about training/pet life. Considering my career focus is on animal behavior and training I fully expect that my training ideologies will be the norm - no exceptions. Unfortunately a lot of people watch television or adhere to disproved theories and think they know better which is endlessly irritating. It would be like if I was a doctor and my SO thought they knew better because they looked up symptoms on WebMD.

If someone OFFERED to take drugs to try and make it work I would be fine with that. I would never ask that of someone though, I understand that allergy medications can be horrible simply from knowing people that take them just so they can have their own pet.

Yep! You can train rabbits to be leash trained! You can train any animal almost anything (as long as it's physically possible for the critter, obviously no turtle is going to fly from it's own volition) with proper training and time investment. For a rabbit I suggest starting with a young one and socializing it a lot! They're prey naturally so have a tendency to be very shy.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything Kitsune has said..

When I spend the night at my bf's house, it's us two, his two big dogs, and my two little dogs all in the bed. It can get a little cramped! :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

When I spend the night at my bf's house, it's us two, his two big dogs, and my two little dogs all in the bed. It can get a little cramped! :laugh:

do you have sex with the dogs watching?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not sure how 'proper' that question is, but I'm asking anyway :bigsmile:
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

I had a rabbit when I was younger. He was trained to walk on a leash. When I took him to the MN state fair I got some strange looks when I walked him into the barn but most people just wanted to pet him.

For a rabbit I suggest starting with a young one and socializing it a lot! They're prey naturally so have a tendency to be very shy.

Awwwww so cute, I'm gonna get a rabbit :bigsmile:

Hang on, rabbits are furry, do they have dander?? :noway:
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

I might be a weirdo but I'm always sure to close the cats out when it sexy times hahaha! I just open up the door when we go to sleep
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't own any pets. I live in a apartment that is strictly no pets rule. Sometimes I wish I could get a dog but then I'd have to move and I get turned off by that idea. :laugh: I can understand pets being a dealbreaker especially if one of the couple is allergic.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

For a rabbit I suggest starting with a young one and socializing it a lot! They're prey naturally so have a tendency to be very shy.

Awwwww so cute, I'm gonna get a rabbit :bigsmile:

Hang on, rabbits are furry, do they have dander?? :noway:

Probably since you do have to brush them. Also rabbits ummm go the bathroom a lot!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options

If it's impromptu and we're just waking up then we'll try to knock them off and cover up with the blankets.. but his dogs have jumped back on before, hahahaha
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Me + my dog = package deal.
  • Taneil27
    Options
    That would absolutely be a deal breaker for me. My animals are my family :-)
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pets. I grew up with cats and I don't have the space or lifestyle to support owning a dog.

That being said, I see people and their pets as a package deal. I couldn't dream of asking someone to give up their pet for me (nor would I expect that). But if someone had one that I really couldn't stand, I'd have to second guess whether I really wanted a relationship with that person. But it would have to be one awful pet or a royally messed up pet/owner relationship to really put me off.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Not only is it a dealbreaker for me... but if someone was willing to give up their dog for someone they were dating I would be disgusted by them! Cats are another issue though :tongue:

Here here!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I don't have any pets. I grew up with cats and I don't have the space or lifestyle to support owning a dog.

That being said, I see people and their pets as a package deal. I couldn't dream of asking someone to give up their pet for me (nor would I expect that). But if someone had one that I really couldn't stand, I'd have to second guess whether I really wanted a relationship with that person. But it would have to be one awful pet or a royally messed up pet/owner relationship to really put me off.

That's an issue for pet owners too. If I was dating someone and he had a particularly rotten chihuahua that snapped at people and never stopped barking I'd move on. How people raise/treat/train their animals says a lot about them.
  • BelMckenzie
    Options

That's an issue for pet owners too. If I was dating someone and he had a particularly rotten chihuahua that snapped at people and never stopped barking I'd move on. How people raise/treat/train their animals says a lot about them.

I agree with this as well. If you have an awful pet that has never been trained properly and the dog still pees on the floor at 5 yr old- let's just say I will never be moving in until you train that dog properly.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I just got a message from my non-boyfriend boyfriend. He has only spent the night twice, last night being night #2. He just said that Daisy was curled up next to him when he woke up. I had already left for work so I didn't get to see. It made my heart melt when he told me that.