Getting so depressed - about to give up...

Options

Replies

• Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! I've decided to go with helloitsdan's recommendation of starting to lift weights, and I'm also going to increase my calorie goal to 1650. We'll see how it goes. I'm scared! Lol!

Howdy Rowdy! .. Fancy seeing yooo heeeeere . :wink:

I just wanted to chip in and say..

I was originally following MFP's settings for me.. (1390 cals per day) .. I was doing at LEAST one cardio workout per day.. (and weights 1-2 times per week) ..

I tried soooo hard for three weeks.. and remained EXACTLY the same weight!! .. :sad: I was soooo disappointed!! I thought I gave big effort!

I almost gave up!! (AGAIN AGAIN) ..

But I found Dan (up theres ^ ) Roadmap thing.. and thought .. 'Welll.. nothing to lose.. because busting my n*ts .. and being soooo hungry every day.. was NOT working for me..

After reading up here and there, I really do think I was burning too much and not eating ENOUGH to make up for it.. 1390 was way too low for me.

So I followed the roadmap thing.. which gave me 1777 cals to eat per day.. and started (as suggested) walking for at least 20 mins per day .. and weights 3 times per week.. ( i do cardio now and again if I can be bothered ;) ..

I love weights!

and *BAAMM* ... in about 7-10 days (havent looked) .. I was down (and they STAYED down!!) .. 4lbs!

I'm not sticking to exactly 1777.. (how picky!) .. Sometimes my job lets me burn lots more cals! .. and those days I DO eat SOME of them back..

So most days.. I eat 1800/2100 cals per day.. and I am becoming tighter and leaner.. AND still losing weight!!

and I SWEAR .. most days I just cant eat any MORE!! ... (3 meals.. 2 snacks, including protein every time (if i can) ..

Ohh.. and I set my MFP macros to Carb 40% Protein 30% and Fat 30% .. (I try to cram in lots of protein nowadays)

(Thanks Dan :drinker:
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Heres the deal:

Insulin resistance sucks!
    You probably have it.

You cant walk it off.
    You can jog it off.
    You cant sprint it off.
    You cant jump rope it off.

So you have successfully proven that cardio wont break your playeau.
    You wont lose weight using cardio.

So now you need to switch gears and look for ways to cause the insulin resistance to stop.
    This will effect nutrient partitioning and allow you to lose weight.

How?

Fasting or weight training.
    Or both at the same time.

So if you love your walks and cannot fathom picking up a barbell then you could try the fasting part to see if you get movement.

Eat during the day till 10pm then stop.
    Resume eating the next day at 2pm.
    Thats an easy 16 hour fast.

Youll notice once you get used to it that you no longer get emotionally hungry.
    Youll understand true hunger hormones and how they work.
    Plus youll be eating bigger meals.
    Plus youll be taking advantage of metabolic functions that wont happen in a fed state.

Weight lifting or body weight work will also break insulin resistance.
    Google "Convict conditioning" for body weight work.
    Join a Gym for $20 a month and youll only need 3hours a week doing Strong lifts 5x5.
    Thats monday, weds and friday.
    And in 12-14 weeks when you are squatting more than the little ***** upper body guys in the gym, send me a PM like so many other women who couldnt believe it.

You cant take weight loss and think that its just 1 thing.
    The body adapts.
    You need to keep it on its toes!

PM me next time you come across trouble and i'll help you.
    I'm always connected!

Also how did you come up with your numbers?
    Did you have the run or did you do them yourself?
    You may have something factored in wrong.

How often do you have to fast?

I do it loosly every day.

I stop eating at 10pm and resume after 2pm the next day.
    Counting sleep thats about 16 hours.

Every day??? Do you still eat all of your calories? Do you feel like its impt to do every day?
  • BluthLover
    Options
    Okay, I'm__ totally__ not getting my hopes up, since I've only had three strength training/weight lifting sessions, and my calories have only been up for a couple of days, BUT... the scale went down this morning for the first time in about two months! It still could be water fluctuation, or whatever, so I'm not going to record it unless it stays down there for the next couple of days, but it sure was nice to see!

That's awesome!!! Keep us posted!
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm__ totally__ not getting my hopes up, since I've only had three strength training/weight lifting sessions, and my calories have only been up for a couple of days, BUT... the scale went down this morning for the first time in about two months! It still could be water fluctuation, or whatever, so I'm not going to record it unless it stays down there for the next couple of days, but it sure was nice to see!

wow, and lifting totally makes me retain water as my muscles repair... good for you!

Make sure you take measurements and before pictures, I don't think the scale is the most effective tool to gauge success once you start lifting heavy :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Heres the deal:

You probably have it.

You cant walk it off.
    You can jog it off.
    You cant sprint it off.

So now you need to switch gears and look for ways to cause the insulin resistance to stop.

How?

So if you love your walks and cannot fathom picking up a barbell then you could try the fasting part to see if you get movement.

Plus youll be taking advantage of metabolic functions that wont happen in a fed state.

Join a Gym for $20 a month and youll only need 3hours a week doing Strong lifts 5x5.
    And in 12-14 weeks when you are squatting more than the little ***** upper body guys in the gym, send me a PM like so many other women who couldnt believe it.

The body adapts.

I'm always connected!

Every day??? Do you still eat all of your calories? Do you feel like its impt to do every day?

check my diary.
    Its open!

I eat anywhere from 1800-3k a day depending on my routine.
    Most from 2-10pm.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this discussion-- please keep us posted!
  • BluthLover
    Options
    Heres the deal:

You probably have it.

You cant walk it off.
    You can jog it off.
    You cant sprint it off.

How?

The body adapts.

I'm always connected!

check my diary.
    Its open!

I eat anywhere from 1800-3k a day depending on my routine.
    Most from 2-10pm.

I will !! Thanks !!!
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm just upping my calories today... very curious how this all works out for you! Good luck!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Okay, so some people were bumping for updates. It's been a little over three weeks since I started upping my calories and lifting weights. So far, what's happened is: nothing. :( No weight loss, no inches lost, no clothes fitting differently. Actually that's true for the whole 3.5 months that I've been doing this.

Since that day I posted, for the last 3.5 weeks, here are the stats (reminder-5'3" ,157 lbs, 39 years old, BMR 1326):

Week 1-Average Weekly TDEE cut 19%, Average daily calorie deficit 371, Average calories eaten1508, Average TDEE 1879
    Week 2-Average Weekly TDEE cut 14%, Average daily calorie deficit 262, Average calories eaten1607, Average TDEE 1870
    Week 3-Average Weekly TDEE cut 16%, Average daily calorie deficit 297, Average calories eaten1568, Average TDEE 1897
    (so far this week for Week 4 below:)
    Week 4-Average Weekly TDEE cut 14%, Average daily calorie deficit 287, Average calories eaten1670, Average TDEE 1958

Am I still eating too little? How soon until I should panic, and realize that I really AM a Special Snowflake? :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Do you faithfully use your kitchen scale? Eyeballing portion is the best way to destroy a deficit.
    Second.......I went 6 months without being able to measure any difference. What kept me going was pictures. Every month I was seeing small difference.

Good luck
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    I am faithfully using my kitchen scale, and not trying to eyeball! :)
  • jenniekw
    Options
    Rowdy I am right there with you, only thing changing is my strength that's it... =(
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Do you faithfully use your kitchen scale? Eyeballing portion is the best way to destroy a deficit.
    Second.......I went 6 months without being able to measure any difference. What kept me going was pictures. Every month I was seeing small difference.

Good luck

^^This, about the pictures.

You can be doing everything right, but the changes will take time, and can be hard to see. I would recommend you stick with what you're doing another 2 weeks. Whenever I've tried something new, (i.e., increasing calories) I tried to give it 6 weeks (8 is even better) to see what happened. Then I'd reevaluate, and ask myself honestly if I was underestimating my food intake, or overestimating my exercise. For me, I finally had to risk eating more. More than what I *thought* I should eat based on my BMR and TDEE. So right now I am NETTING 1700 or more daily, and I am losing. Slowly but surely. So I am eating 1700 even on a sedentary day, but usually I workout and eat those calories back, too.

Did you take any pictures 4 weeks ago? Even if they're just for yourself, they're SO useful. And be patient. Stick with it long enough to really see any changes/results, and then reevaluate from there. As a good friend of mine says, "This isn't a sprint to the finish line." You've got time. You can do this.
  • Lattegurl
    Lattegurl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rowdylibrarian
    Options
    You are probably right about the pictures. I'm not sure what to take them in, though, since MFP has been so militant lately about any skin showing. I was thinking that a sports bra or tank top and stretch pants might be good, but if I ever want to put up "before and after" pictures, maybe not.

I should probably just keep going for a couple more weeks, and try to make sure that I am actually getting up to at least 1650 every day. Or maybe I need to up my calories a little more?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm exercising, mostly by walking, 3-4 times per week

That's just not going to cut it IMO.

Based on your stats you are trying to getting down to a pretty lean level of body fat.

I would do the opposite, leave calories the same but increase TDEE by incorporating some lifting or at least some higher intensity exercise. (this is the g-flux principle essentially)

You might not get much of a drop in scale weight but body composition will definitely benefit (which is really why we are all here)
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So before you give up, I took a look at your diary, and here are my suggestions.

1) Your daily protein is too low. Change your macros and aim for 1 gram of protein for every lb of lean muscle you want/have.
    2) You are eating veggies, which is good,
    3) but you are also eating a lot of useless carbs and processed foods (tortillas, ice cream, alcohol). Try cutting these back to only once or twice a week.
    4) Also, try to cut out processed, prepackaged foods. They often have more sodium, sugar, and preservatives that could be slowing your weight loss.

Also, when was the last time you had a physical? Make sure there are no hormonal issues (like PCOS or underactive thyroid) hindering you, as well as checking for vitamin deficiencies (like Vitamin D3). These can wreak havoc with metabolism and immune function and bring weight loss to a standstill.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    You are probably right about the pictures. I'm not sure what to take them in, though, since MFP has been so militant lately about any skin showing. I was thinking that a sports bra or tank top and stretch pants might be good, but if I ever want to put up "before and after" pictures, maybe not.

I should probably just keep going for a couple more weeks, and try to make sure that I am actually getting up to at least 1650 every day. Or maybe I need to up my calories a little more?

Even if they are just for your own use, TAKE. THE. PICS. You may want to use them someday. Or maybe you'll want to show them to some friends you trust when you feel like you need a second opinion. I have friends who show me their pics and say "I don't know, do you think there's a difference?" And I'm like, "Heck, YEAH, you look AMAZING!!"

There really can be lots of changes that don't show up on the scale or measuring tape.