Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

new here with type 2

Hi, My name is Candy, I'm 45 yrs old with type 2 diabetes, I found out just over a year ago. So far I have it under control sorta with metforman and diet, but when it comes to my diet thats where I'm having a problem. When I first found out the lbs came off and I watched everything I ate. now, not so much, I want off these pills and I'm hoping with diet and exercise I might be able to do that. I just need motivation and help staying on track. So hopefully this site and this group can help me out. :) Any suggestions?

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,165 Member
    I am T2D and was diagnosed May 2011. For about a month or so after I got out of the hospital, I was SO good...and very proud of myself. But the problem with diabetes is you don't feel bad....you feel fine. So I slipped back into the bad habits. I gained weight...stopped checking my BS and was in denial. Until something happened that made me disgusted with my body and I finally started to get serious this past May. A friend suggested MFP, so I came here and I haven't looked back. I still take the meds but I don't have to take the metformin if I don't want to (Dr. told me I could stop), but I still do because it does help with weight loss. I think when I get to my goal, I should be able to get off my meds forever.

Feel free to friend me, if you wish. :)
  • B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Type 2 Diabates here as well. I take Metformin (spelling) and Glimeperide (spelling). I take the Glim in the morning and the Met twice a day. My starting weight (SW) was 263lbs. My Goal weight (GW) is 210lbs. This may sound horrible, but I am just a bit over 6'4". My current weight is 243lbs. I am hoping to lose enough weight and stick to an exercise routine, that gets and keeps me these meds.

Feel free to add me, and that goes for anyone needing support for Diabetes.
  • goddessgoal
    goddessgoal Posts: 3 Member
    Hello all! My name is Kanika and I have had type 2 diabetes for 1 year now. I currently take metformin twice a day. My goal is to become more healthy and be able to control my blood sugar by diet and exercise. Feel free to add me as a friend, I sure could use the encouragement!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Hi Candy and Kanika, welcome to the board. You will find a great deal of support and knowledge from our members. Sometimes a good support network is what keeps me going. Seeing that other people have succeeded in losing weight and controlling BG is very encouraging. My friends here have kept me going through a 5 month weight loss plateau until I finally have managed to drop 2 pounds during the last 4 or 5 weeks. 5 to 8 more pounds to go.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Hello and welcome to the group. I couldn't take the metformin--I was either in the bathroom or throwing up. I couldn't control my blood sugar with Actos and Glimeperide so doctor added Lantusat night and Actos only during the day because I couldn't get blood sugar up past 70 in the morning. I wanted off the Lantus but he said no for now. Blood sugar was 66 this morning. I am hoping that maybe in Dec/Jan appointment I can get off Lantus if I have lost enough weight. So welcome e to the group, ladies.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Hi,

I was taking Met for my type 2, but it was really messing with my digestive system. I was able to stop taking it as long as I lost weight and ate properly. I have read that Met may help with weight loss and preventing cancer. Google Metformin weight loss and Metformin cancer preventing. I would have stayed on it if it did not give me the digestive problems. I have been doing the DASH eating plan which is great for lowering blood pressure and sugar. Good luck.
  • joied
    joied Posts: 68 Member
    Hi,

I was taking Met for my type 2, but it was really messing with my digestive system. I was able to stop taking it as long as I lost weight and ate properly. I have read that Met may help with weight loss and preventing cancer. Google Metformin weight loss and Metformin cancer preventing. I would have stayed on it if it did not give me the digestive problems. I have been doing the DASH eating plan which is great for lowering blood pressure and sugar. Good luck.

Hi, what's the DASH eating plan? I'm a T2D too and would like help in the weight loss dept. Maintaining motivation to train would also be ideal.