What do you eat on fasting days?

Options
Think the title pretty much sums it up! I only managed one fasting day last week and went over my calories, not its Friday, I've only had one fasting day again and went over.

So, what do you eat on your fasting days?

Replies

• cici52
    cici52 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/396987-down-day-food-items

Hi. There are as many different approaches as there are people here. The first few down days seem to be tough for everyone so don't be discouraged. It gets easier as you figure out when it is that you have difficulty and know that the feeling of hunger comes in waves and passes after 15-20 minutes. The link is to another thread with low cal food ideas. Good luck.
  • Lazychu
    Options
    Thanks cici, will have a look at the other thread later. Need to tidy the sitting room before the school run, although why I'm doing that when they'll just mess it up again I don't know :D
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything until supper. Once I eat something I feel like eating more, so I abstain during the day completely. It now feels very easy to do.

At night I have huge amounts of salad, brocholli, low carb fruits etc, some olive oil, and typically a salmon fillet or chicken breast. That makes me feel full.

This has worked for me. I initially set myself a target of doing the diet for 5 weeks and then assess. Today is the last day. In total I've lost 3.9 kilo of which 3.7 kilos has been fat. I'm feeling good, energy levels are high and I've noticed that I can taste things so much more. This morning I had a simple black coffee but stopped and thought how delicious it tasted.

The first couple of down days were tough but it's got progressively easier. Helps if you get into a solid routine and you keep busy...exercise has also helped in that regard.

Good luck. Hope you can persevere.
  • Lazychu
    Options
    Thanks very much for that, it was very useful. Yesterday I had a banana for breakfast and a huge salmon stir fry for tea but without rice or noodles and felt full. Then went and truely ruined it when I went to book group and the coffee table was full of treats! At least I managed to refuse the wine. I ended up having nearly 800 cals.

Oh well, will try again tomorrow :)
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for that, it was very useful. Yesterday I had a banana for breakfast and a huge salmon stir fry for tea but without rice or noodles and felt full. Then went and truely ruined it when I went to book group and the coffee table was full of treats! At least I managed to refuse the wine. I ended up having nearly 800 cals.

Oh well, will try again tomorrow :)

Don't feel bad. The guideline is to have 25% of normal calorie requirements on the down day. However, this is an arbitrary figure, if you do 33% or 50% there's still likely to be a benefit but it will just take longer. However, slow and steady often wins the day.

You might want to consider eating nothing for breakfast and going until supper without food. Fasting is considered to have additional benefits plus you then get more wriggle room in the evening.
  • midtownfg
    Options
    I also try to eat only once during the day. Once I start eating, it is hard to stop. This also allows me to eat a normal meal with my husband in the evening. I don't always make it all the way to dinner but I try. Some days are easier than others. And I always make sure that crochet group night is an Up day. Trying to resist wine and other treats would not make me happy.
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have only just started but had oatmeal and milk for breakfast ,filled me for hours .I made a huge pot off veggie soup for under 200 cals and ate that throughout the rest off the day ,the other day had a protein shake and soup