Any of you take a week off and still finish?

I am so pissed. I was doing so good. Finished week 4 on Thursday. I even took a full minute off my pace. The weather was great, I was feeling great and guess I pushed it too far. Yesterday, Friday, my hip starting hurting. Today it hurts more when I put my full weight on my left leg. So I need to rest a few days. Maybe a week. But I was doing so good.....and I was looking forward to week 5. Very frustrated. Please let me know if you had to take a break but still finished the program.

Replies

• flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Yeah, I had a cold part way through and took 5-7 days off. In fact I think that happened twice!
    I finished C25K last autumn...and last weekend I ran my first half marathon!
    What I would say is listen to your body - take it easy when you come back to running, and if you need to scale it back a bit, or put in an extra rest day between runs, do it. C25K will still be here when you come back. Maybe do some cross-training - elliptical or bike - and some stretching (NB this is rich coming from someone who doesn't cross-train and usually forgets to stretch!)
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • redrover
    redrover Posts: 71 Member
    Don't worry about the break. Agreed on the cross training, I would probably do the bike to keep the weight off your hip. Your legs may come out of this in decent shape from some rest and some other exercises. I had to take a week off more than once and I got going again just fine.
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Yep! I got a double ear infection and lost an entire week. I picked right back up (with W5D3 even!) and haven't missed a beat since. I think letting your body heal properly actually makes you a better runner. I'm into week 7 now and don't see any signs of stopping.

Let yourself heal and then get back to it. Even if you have to drop back a day or two and repeat. I mean really who cares? There isn't anyone else that will do it for your body but you.

Feel better!
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    I took a week off for vacation, not an injury, but I ran my 5k today! Just repeat the week if you feel like you have to (or repeat week 5 if it doesn't go well). But definitely heal, you don't want to risk anything.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    I'm hoping to take this week off and still finish. Got through week 4 ok, then helped out during my daughters soccer practice and it killed my knees!

Going to cross train this week and keep focusing on diet ( particularly anti-inflammatory foods).

Good luck!
  • lauramom0204
    lauramom0204 Posts: 3 Member
    It is very frustrating to have to take a break in the program. Don't give up though. I hurt my knee 4 weeks in and had to stop running for 3 weeks! I was so afraid I'd never go back. I did though, and now I'm starting Week 9. Just do something else in the meantime and get back to it when you are ready. You can do it!
  • siggakolla
    siggakolla Posts: 56 Member
    I had 13 days off after W5D1 and then picked it up on w5d2 when i got back from holiday, it was hard but i managed :) definitely doable! :D
  • What a timely thread :)
    I had successfully finished W2 and came down with bronchitis. I've been sick for over a week, and just now starting to feel good again. I need to give myself a few more days before running again, but it was so discouraging to think that I was 'off' for over a week.
    Good to see that others had similar issues and got right back on track :)