Sept 17 Monday's Mad Hatter Chatter

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
No matter how slow you go... you're still running laps around everybody on the couch! :drinker:

Replies

• Snooozie
    Options
    Good morning Mad Hatters!

Can you believe we're already half way through September??

I'll be back wtih a post as soon as I get my coffee IV going :laugh:
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    To those Hatters who are celebrating today-Happy Rosh Hashana.
    To all Hatters everyday, enjoy the last fleeting days of summer and to our friends down in Oz we are sending you the sun so get ready to enjoy the longer days of springtime.
    Good morning, fresh from Monday morning weigh in. I stayed the same, That seems to be my pattern. Lose weight one week and stay the same the next. Its funny how I always seem to linger at a milestone weight. I want to get to the teens, but still at 220. But my outfit for today was already picked out: a long raw silk dress straight from years of closet hibernation, paired with a consignment shop arty chiffony top and a sun burst pendant from the arts festival. So I didn't take any time worrying about that number on the scale.. Instead I was wondering how long I will have this lovely weather to allow me to wear these summer clothes that finally fit me after so long! Since I love summer clothes of cotton, light silk and linen, in the winter I always think of the song lyrics and I want to go "where the climate suits my clothes." So I will enjoy this time of year when my clothes and the humidy free climate are a perfect match.
    The peaches are officially done and because I am still holding onto summer, I have not been ready
    to eat the early apples.
  • KLB960
    KLB960 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ah yes, the change in seasons and he battle over the thermostat! I love the fall with the changes in the color, can't wait for it to begin in earnest so I can walk with my camera. I just don't like what will be coming next as my outside walks will have to stop (gets too icy here..dirt roads only get plowed and sanded, no salt). I guess the stationary bike will get dusted off. But until the first s**w, I will soak up all my walking energy and enjoy while it lasts. Good day, Hatters!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOL @ the beginning of the thermostat battle season KLB !

Wonder if Merobi has a plan of attack in mind with her hubby this year LOL... maybe we women could invent a "fake" thermostat cover to slip over the real one.. showing its a nice toasty warm temp to the hubbies if they check it.. but allowing us to crank that thing down at will? Hmm.. we could all get rich from the invention AND styay cool.. a win win!:tongue:

Janet: Happy Rosh Hashana to you my friend! It's been lovely warm temps here as well, but today appears to be the last one for a while so I'm getting in a final patio moment this aft with some friends (well actually it's a meetingbut we're having it outdoors since its so nice!) and I'm going to stick to summer clothes for it as well! Bet you look fabulous in that outfit today! and kudos for refocusing on the clothes instead of the scale; you're so close I know you'll hit those teens soon and can't wait to see your post when you do!

I hit a bump in the road yesterday; frustration reared its ugly head and mixed in with a menopausal emotional meltdown, it wasn't pretty (I;m just curious.. has anyone else had an increase in emotional moments as they get older? I have never been one to cry at movies or country western songs that tug at the heartstrings for instance.. but sometimes now the weirdest things will set my tear ducts in motion.. what's with THAT?? ):sad: Anyway.. with a little help from the Hatters, a good long walk and too much apple crisp, I got over the bump in the road and mentally back on track. Being here has definitely made a difference in the not giving up mentality - so many times before a bump would have had me packing my bags and hitting the last train to Clarksville so thanks Mad Hatters!

Saw a post this morning about small changes making a difference so thought I'd share; I'm not known for my housekeeping skills but I know I can do this kind of NEAT! (I cleaned it up a little tho lol)

NEAT: Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. It's the stuff you do when you're not in the gym. It's the walking your dog, or the cleaning of the house, or the mowing of the grass. It's the energy expenditure that you create when you're just being active and doing things OTHER than laying around on your backside.

NEAT is something that, by end of day, can comprise a significant energy expenditure.

Ever hear people give those recommendations like:

"Park your car really far away so you have to walk further"
    "Get up from your desk every 20 minutes"
    "Move around with that book instead of sitting"

They're right.

So instead of thinking about whether or not you should buy those keytones, or whether or not you should load your breakfast with cinnamon and hotsauce, or whether or not you need to eat every 1.8 hours -- How about instead, you get up from your desk and move around? Increase your NEAT, increase your success. :bigsmile:
  • fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No matter how slow you go... you're still running laps around everybody on the couch! :drinker:

How true
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Janet, thanks for the Rosh Hashana wishes! Wishing you a happy, healthy and sweet New Year! I know you wish your weight loss was happening faster, but slow and steady wins the race! You'll get there, just keep at it!

Snooozie my friend, the thermostat battle has begun! Had a lovely weekend with my menopausal friends and was comfortably cool all weekend, lol. What I don't get is if we keep the temperature HIGH in the summer to save money, why is it we can't keep the temperature LOW in the winter to save money? He's never been able to properly answer that one for me! In answer to your emotional roller coaster...hell yes! it's why my family thinks I'm insane :wink: Good for you, for making it through your bump in the road and not turning it in to something bigger. I think that is huge and it should be an IPOM for you!!

I had a lovely weekend with the girls and managed to make it through without a weight gain. Maybe I CAN do this!!

Wishing you all a wonderful, successful week!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I was totally jealous reading about your girls weekend Merobi...3 of my favourite things... greats friends, great wine and great cheese!
    You did awesome picking and choosing your "splurgeworthy" items ... living proof that we can enjoy an occasional indulgence and slip back into "normal" again without all the angst of worrying about it... absolute proof eating well is becoming our HABIT and yes you're right we SO can do it!

LOL @ the battle already going... maybe you could get everyone sweaters for their birthdays this year and say mama plans to save on hydro this winter my pretties.. so bundle up?

and glad to know i ain't the only one with the crazy emotions!:bigsmile: :sad: :laugh: :explode: :flowerforyou:
  • bestmother13
    Options
    Good point!
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Thanks- that's a great quote and makes me feel better :happy:
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Yeah - I find this to be a great thought!! You all have a great day (ok tomorrow since it is so late). Cheerio :glasses:
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Final 4 days of summer.
    I dragged myself out of bed to the body pump class. I was almost late and certainly grumpy and when I got to class some triathlete women had taken my favorite spot and all the higher benches, which as tall as I am it is uncomfortable on the lower benches. It did not help me get in a better mood having to look at this woman's super fit butt between me and the teacher. Then in the middle of class they left. So in my early morning haze it was like they came in stole my place and bench, then shook their butts at me just to get on my nerves. Fortunately their visits are rare, I think on their cross training schedule it says go inspire the regular people once a month for a half hour. Ok vent over. My mood was not helped by the fact that instead of being greeted by a clear crisp Sept sky, this morning it was super muggy and severe storms are expected throughout the day. Fortunately my personal fog finally lifted near the end of class when I was planking.
    At least I am in the state of mind when I know that eating cake for breakfast will not improve my mood. I was thinking that I have a food attached to just about every mood or activity. This is probably one of my strangest ones. I have to stop at the hospital to see an aunt. Usually when I go to the hospital to visit someone or for a doctor's appointment, I always go to the gift shop. Around here the hospital gift shops have the best selection of "penny candy" anywhere (current cost 15 cents) So I would always buy a bag full of squirrel nut zippers, mary janes, midget tootsie rolls, dark chocolate hershey pieces and small peppermint patties. I think this habit started when my mother was dying 30 years ago. I would take my grandfather to see her and he always wanted to go to the gift shop and stock up on penny candy. He would take his bag home with him. Since then I would always eat my candy on the drive home. This is a tradition that has outlived its usefulness. I have never told anyone of this strange little tradition.
    Do any of you have any odd food-activity traditions that have outlived their usefulness?
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Janet, I can sympathize with your triathlete interlopers! We live near the beach, and every summer these two women whose parents have a summer house on the beach would show up to step class and take the "regulars'" spots. It used to make me crazy grumpy, until one of the other women in my class started calling them "the raisinettes" because they were both super tan and skinny...cracked me up (and still does to this day). Thankfully, now that summer is over, they are back home :).

It seems like everything is food related to me. The biggest is "vacation". That used to be the only time my mom let us pick out junk food, and we'd start eating it as soon as the car pulled out of the driveway! When our family goes to Vermont, we stop at the Cider Mill (for cider and cider donuts), the Cabot cheese store, and the Malt Shop (for milkshakes and french fries) and that's just on the way to the condo! I think it's one of the reasons I love going away (it used to be a license to eat everything for me).

They say your sense of smell is the one that is most strongly associated with memory...maybe the hospitals all smell the same?

Kudos for you for staying in class and not storming out (as I might have done). And double kudos for you for thinking while doing a plank!! All I can think of is home much longer I have to hold it!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :bigsmile: ROFL @ the raisinettes.... it's a much nicer term than one I've used.. I think because anytime one showed up I automatically felt..a self esteem hit.. like they were secretly thinking "really lady... who are you kidding" when they saw me .. and I admit I was intimidated and would convince myself that was true and of course.. that would usually grow and mushroom til i convinced myself just to give it up. I realize now they probably never even gave me a second look, let alone waste any time thinking about me in ANY way, and combined with the freedom of being of the age now where I simply don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks of me (if only I had that freedom in my teens and 20's lol.. but I think now its a reward for having made it to your 50's :bigsmile:

but I'm not gonna lie.. you're a better woman than me Janet.. cause I would have probably head butted the butt in front of me JUST for having "irritated" me by taking my spot... (then of course apologized profusely for the error of my ways).. but I can just imagine how miffed you felt when after having dragged yoruself in when you didn't really feel like it, your spot was taken and you had the butt visual as well.. so huge IPOU for sticking it out and not letting it stop you!! :drinker:

and yep.. have some weird connections with certain foodstoo... to this day at Christmas my sister always makes a batch of my mom's gingersnap cookies to put in my stocking :laugh: and we both pretty much grew up in hospitals because of my mom's medical stuff.. and we still talk about how when we would go to visit, my dad would take us to the coffee shop inthe hospital and we always got to have a chocolate milkshake...the memory of sitting on red spinning stools and watching the machine with the metal cup mixing away....the anticipation..still makes me smile!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    I'm having dinner with a friend tonite and decided to put into action TA's reminder about the importance of planning... so I checked out the nutrition info of the restaurant... and was quite shocked to find the things I THOUGHT would have been better choices were in fact.. the least healthy.. they have an "englightened entree" of a small steak, garden salad and veggies which comes in UNDER calories and fat LESS than a small chicken quesadilla... and one of their salads..is over 1000! :noway: go figure!! Also have an option of a roasted mushroom and chicken salad with a broccoli cheddar soup that combined are still wihtin a good range... and with the rain and cold today that might be an option.. but very glad I thought to check before I went because what I would have picked thinking it was healhtier.. would have been a nasty surprise in my logging LOL.. :sad:
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    OH Snooozie. What are we going to do with you.
    The head butt, made me laugh.:laugh: :laugh: I could just picturing someone doing this and the response of the person it happened to.
    Good thinking on looking up the food you wanted to eat.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Good planning Snoozie.

Just dropped in to try and catch up but just tooooo tired.

After all the weekend work went in Monday only to have the rug pulled out from under me :grumble:
    Students won't read, won't take notes, won't study and my principal is shocked at the grades that I have been posting. :huh:

So all the test I graded this weekend had to be redone with books and now I have to regrade them all. :cry: Please don't ask my opinion of this, but if you looked at my dairy yesterday you will see I tried to drink my way out of a bottle of Verdi :drinker:

I know it wasn't the best choice but it did fall with in my allowance and I was fine with that. I have had the upset stomach today not sure if it was the Verdi or the stress.

On a better note I found out today they finally did hire another teacher so I will be losing my 8th grade classes. I will miss one group and am so happy about the other group I would have a glass of Verdi if there was any left :blushing: What this means is less lesson plans :bigsmile: The two 6th grade classes I have will be rearranged to become three 6th grade classes. This is wonderful since both have over 30 students and I am about 10 books short :grumble:

Well not sure I will have time to check in tomorrow as I have a meeting after school and have a bit to do. But praying that this new development will help in the long run.

Now to get this hump day out of the way and move on to the weekend.:bigsmile:
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Love it - who knew - eat less / move more??? :noway:

Love being a part of the mad hatters (or is it haters snoozie - for all my PITAs):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:

Just kidding ladies - keep up the awesome work!

Go Team Go - and smile all the way - it will make them wonder what you're up to.....:glasses:

Carol
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I found this on MFP. I thought we all could use it.
    :smile:

" I'VE EATEN SO MUCH! IM GOING TO BE OBESE"
    I bet you're thinking that. I know I have. But I read this and it put my mind at rest.

"Ok.

Stop.

Take a deep breath and put your thinking cap on.

I’m going to hit you with some wisdom, ok?

Take your weight loss calorie goal, and just toss that number out the window. We’re not going to talk about that right now. We’re going to talk about that minor (or major) freak out we sometimes have when we’re having a really good week, eating really well, then we lose our damn minds and stuff our faces with delicious delicious junk food.

2000 calories is about what your body needs to maintain your weight and keep all your organs doing all those lovely keeping you alive things that they do. Your body burns all those calories at rest. That means that while you’re sitting on your *kitten*, walking to the fridge and back, scrolling through tumblr, etc etc.. your body is making you breathe and make new cells and **** and burns those 2000 calories.

To gain a single pound, you’d have to eat another 3500 calories on top of those 2000. Thats 5500 calories. 5500 calories is a ****ing lot of calories, okay?

Lets take a look at what 5500 calories looks like.

One slice of a large pepperoni pizza from pizza hut is 330 calories. You’d have to eat a little over 2 entire large pepperoni pizzas to hit 5500 calories.
    One crunchy taco from taco bell is 170 calories. To eat 5500 calories, you’d have to eat 32 tacos.
    One double cheeseburger from mcdonalds is 440 calories. 12 of those is 5500 calories.
    21 cheetos are 160 calories. 714 cheetos are 5500 calories.
    Was whatever junk you ate probably a bad choice health-wise? Probably.

Did you ruin all your progress? No.

Did you even eat enough to gain an entire whole pound? Nooope.

Are you going to survive, drink some water, go for a walk or run in the morning, and forgive yourself? Yep. You are.

Know why?

Cause **** happens.

But we move on, and we stay determined.

Stop freaking out. Forgive yourself."
    flowerforyou

(btw, I didnt write this, I found it and just thought I'd share it with you all)
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what cheryl said.....

Keep believing in yourself... eat the treat and move on.....:flowerforyou:

Move it Move it Move it.....:laugh:

Shake it don't break it...:wink:

Dance baby dance.....:blushing:

Carol:glasses:
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Cheryl: I have to cut and paste that to keep on hand for the next time I think I feel myself about to have a mental meltdown!!!! Thanks for posting it!!