Family members and Gastric bypass

Options
Kymaaa3
Kymaaa3 Posts: 19 Member
Hello everyone I'm currently 45 pounds down at goal weight for WLS I don't have a surgery date yet, but I weigh in 9-27 and hopefully I can get surgery date . Ok, this is my issue some of my family members are scared for me to get the surgery and it makes me feel uneasy that they are fearful but before I go on let me tell you the back story, I had a family member who passed away 8 years ago from taking weight loss pills she was in her early/mid 30's it was a sad loss because she left children behind who are now living our side of family, and she was so young ..so I can understand the fear. I may not be able to help my family members get over their fear and I want to share my experience with them but comments like "you lost 45 lbs you can do it yourself" are encouraging words but then again not encouraging. If I could do it myself I would've done it years ago. I can't take their fear on I must move forward with my life I need this "tool" to succeed. I know they love me I understand the fear heck, there are days I get scared too but I am more scared of losing my motativation and gaining back what I have lost. I guess I just needed to let that out. Kimluv222 moving forward. :)

Replies

• Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I read (and maybe it was on a Dr. Oz show, he is a HUGE supporter of all weight loss surgeries) your risk of death from the surgery is minuscule compared to the risk of obesity and all of the health issues with obesity.
  • Kymaaa3
    Kymaaa3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, and again I understand their fears and concerns but I gotta do me. thanks for your comment.
  • Newbody72
    Newbody72 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I understand that your family is concerned about surgery. I went through it with my family. What I did was that I educated them about the procedure and included them on every step of the way through all the pre surgery test. Yes they were reluctant to accept my decision but now they see how happy and healthy I am all the doubts have gone away. All I can say is as long as you are ready to make that lifestyle change then go ahead and get the surgery. I'm six months out and I'm living the dream.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was also very successful losing prior to surgery and had the same questions asked of me. My goal for the surgery though was not to lose the weight but as a tool to help me keep it off for the long haul. I've lost weight numerous times in my life only to gain it back with more, I knew that the WLS was going to be the only way I had any hope of keeping the weight off.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    my daughter was totally against my having this surgery because someone she knew had just died from the surgery. she was not even going to support me at all. I had researched and asked questions and went and talked to the doc by myself.

once I had the surgery date my daughter started coming around and was there with me when I went in.

not every one will support you but IT IS YOUR LIFE and you have to do what is the best thing for you not them.

all the best on your journey
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you have educated yourself very well, and it's time to educate your family. You need them to understand and for them to support you. Maybe get some of them to attend some of your appointments, where they can ask questions. There is risk in all surgery. You need to go into surgery with lots of positivity, and if you can't get it from family, find the people who love you and will support you, these are the people to surround yourself with.

Best of Luck, chin up, stiff upper lip and all that!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's hard sometimes for the people who care about us not to over generalize their fears. Taking weighloss pills is not the same and has it's own risks, like with anything if you do not adhear to the plan you can increase those risks. The surgery, in fact, all the surgerys used today are not a new idea they have been tested for a long time and there are very clear rules on what you can do to increase your success from an easy surgery, to a quick recovery and even sustaining your goals for a life time. I agree with Newbody72, try to educate them on all the steps, make them welcome if they want to know more or if they want to go to a meeting or doctor appointment with you, remind them that the two situations are not the same, and remind them that while you appreciate and respect their concern it's a small risk for a great reward and you need to make that decision with as few emotional strings as can be.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you'll get those that support you and those that don't. Of course the ones that don't most of the time are saying things like "i know someone that died from that" well statistically you have a better chance getting hit by a bus. With all surgeries there are risks. I remember myself saying "well if i do die, then i died trying" If having the surgery is something you REALLY want to do, educate your family. show them the statistics, have them go to meetings, even meet with your surgeon if you can. A lot of the times they aren't educated on it. We're all here for you!!