Headache...

Options
lalalyn12
lalalyn12 Posts: 80 Member
I have been doing low carb for the past week or so, and I have started getting these terrible tension headache's. I don't know if its from me eating low carbs, the sodium or what. I am ranging between 50-100 carbs a day give and take. So I dont know where they are coming from or if it might be a health issue

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    With carb intake at that level I wouldn't normally attribute that to the low carb flu. Perhaps you need more sodium. Upping the fat intake helped my wife with migranes.

Beyond that, if it continues, probably better to get it checked out to rule out anything serious.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I get headaches super easily when I don't eat a lot of salt. I have to eat over the recommended daily allowance or it's game over!
  • lalalyn12
    lalalyn12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Really, so how does sodium play an important role in Low carb, i though salt retains water
  • conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not drinking enough water. Perhaps you are dehydrated.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Really, so how does sodium play an important role in Low carb, i though salt retains water

Salt intake is VERY important when you are low carbing, even more so if you are working out and sweating ...

I'll quote The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff Volek & Stephen Phinney (VERY good book)
    "The short answer is that the amount of carbohydrate in our diet changes our need for salt. High carbohydrate diets make the kidneys retain salt, whereas a low carbohydrate intake increases sodium excretion by the kidney.

Salt and water are more efficiently excreted, which is a good thing as long as you maintain an adequate minimum sodium intake. Ignore this lesson and you are likely to suffer the completely avoidable problems of headache, fatigue, weakness, and constipation."
    Bog standard table salt will do at a pinch but contains some not so great chemicals, 'sea salt' is better and some people go crazy over Himalayan Pink Salt.

Any salt is better than no salt ...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    , 'sea salt' is better and some people go crazy over Himalayan Pink Salt.

Well hell Vim, when you find a helluva good sale, why not go bat-crap crazy?!?!? LOL!!!

I have hickory-smoked sea salt, himalayan pink salt, and kosher salt.... OHHH and margarita salt too - for my tequila lime marinades! LOL!!!!
  • LLRider
    Options
    Drink a cup of chicken broth ~ not low sodium

and drink extra water :happy:
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree about the salt but you could also be suffering from a carb withdrawl.... especially if this is your first week. My withdrawl was like a whole freaking 3 weeks of crappiness. Hang in there!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I usually have a headache my first week in .... it is a form of sugar withdrawal IMO. I try to drink A LOT of water and it helps. Just stick with it. I however eat less than 30g of carbs.. not sure if you are eating 100g if that would still account for it. Perhaps if you were eating a TON of sugar before??