is crossfit worth it?

Options
christimw
christimw Posts: 183 Member
i've heard lots of good stuff about crossfit, and there is a gym less than a mile away from my house. i drove by several times wanting to get some info, but i saw big though people and got scared and kept driving. i finally worked up the courage to go in this morning and ask, and set up a time to go talk. well i went, it sounded amazing, something i could really get into and enjoy. i have no motivation on my own because i get bored doing a workout video after a couple of weeks, nor do i have any freakin clue how to workout or lift or anything as i've never worked out. i've never joined any kind of gym or anything either. it all sounded great until he said $135 a month. i nearly died! there is no possible way i can afford that. not unless i went back to work. i was SO excited that i finally built up the courage to go in, only to be crushed by that price. we try to be very frugal, but if it's worth it, i would really consider going back to work so i could join. what are your opinions on it? worth it, or could i get the same workout from a cheaper gym? my sister in law said one just opened up that's $29 a month. even that's a stretch for me, but it's a lot more doable than $135. :\

Replies

• PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I know one of the Crossfit boxes by me offers free Saturday morning workouts. Maybe try to find one that does that so at least you're getting some benefit of it. I hear you on the price. I'd love to do it but just don't have the moola.
  • zellagrrl
    Options
    We pay $320/month for personal training (google slow burn fitness) because it works for us. That said, we both work, and while it could go to savings or paying some debt down, it's worth it to us.

Alternatively, you could probably save up and join for a month or two, to get the movement patterns down and then continue on your own. Crossfit gyms in Western WA seem to hover around that $135+ mark.

I don't really know in your situation-- I love my work (most of the time) and I have massive trust issues about ever relying on anyone for anything (just ask the husband). But my vote would be to go to work if it means that much to you to get to a good health situation.
  • EKK0220
    Options
    I have to say it is insane (but also feels awesome and you experience a great sense of community). But, to be honest, I cannot stress enough going back to the basics. After doing crossfit, I'd prefer to go back to a trainer and pay nearly the same amount. Or just back to running and lifting.

Unless you are trying to become a triathlete, have huge fitness goals, might be better off sticking to the gym. Especially if the cost frightens you! And not to scare you but I was doing crossfit 5 months ago when I tore the artery in my neck and suffered a stroke. Not to say crossfit is necessarily going to hurt you, but it certainly has an intensity that can reap some serious benefits but also some serious injuries.
  • EKK0220
    Options
    And I have to add - if you don't workout - and really never had, which I just saw, I would not recommend Crossfit. It's a pretty extreme way to get into working out.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am out of shape and over weight. I joined my box a little over a month ago. I'm horrified every time I go but never regret it. It was exactly what I needed to get my butt moving. It's expensive, but for me, its so worth the money. It's more than just a place to work out for me though. It literally is a community and an amazing support system. Every box is different and the coaches are what counts.
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I cant justify the cost for it over the cost of my family membership at the gym which Im not dropping.

Someone suggested this website - Ive been doing it for a few days... love it! Maybe a good start...

http://calicrossfit.blogspot.com/
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Most crossfit places are goign to be expensive as they are primarily small business and depending ont he box it is almost akin to personal training (my box there was 4-6 people in any one class)

I started with crossfit because of a Groupon so I got a chance to try it out for 2.5 months very inexpensively and then went on to continue it for another 3 months. I stopped going because my box moved locations to a place that didn't mesh with my scheduale.

I had never lifted before so it gave me some good instruction in lifting - I adored the people I was in class with and my trainers and that to me made it worth it to me.

I do belong to a gym so since leaving my crossfit classes I attempt to do some lifting there when I go.

There are a lot of things you can do and not join a box...a lot of the WODS (work out of the day) don't involve weights...a lot of body strength exercises and rounds.

If you have access to an itouch, phone, pad - check out the Nike Training App - simply awesome app filled with tons of workouts that really do work you out with very little equipment needed.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i just started crossfitting also because of a groupon deal... i have NEVER thought about spending more than $30/month on a gym until now. i LOVE it! I am not much of a work out at home person, i lose motivation fast. I like having supervised lifts (i already lift heavy at the gym) and how crossfit makes the lifts more "meaningful" as they are full body movements instead of the isolation movements i was doing at the gym. i love the sense of community, how all the trainers and members know my name and cheer me on. how if i do really good it gets written on the board for a club or personal record. its also a little competitive, but also supportive.

i would go try it out for a week or so and see how you like it... at the moment i cant afford the $125 investment a month, but i can afford a $200 punch card for 20 visits plus their free saturday class until i finish my internship :)
  • reluctantMANGO
    reluctantMANGO Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found it to be out of my price range too... so I'm looking into personal training with an emphasis on lifting. That way I'll learn the proper technique for a smaller pricetag. Many of the boxes post their WODs online, so if you wanted to follow along you could, using your gym's equipment.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I know this is off topic, because I have not done crossfit... but I spent a year with a personal trainer lifting at the gym and saw some results. Then I did the 30 Day shred at home with three rest days and saw much more improvement. I am sold on circuit training and recommend that if you are looking to have nice, defined muscles.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I pay $100/month for Crossfit, and it is worth it to me! I've been a gym-goer for over a decade and really got stuck in a rut. I had just quit pushing myself. Since starting Crossfit five months ago, I don't know how I'll ever go back to a regular gym. Thanks to Crossfit, I'm doing things I never thought I could do. I've made some great physical strides at Crossfit, but the biggest gains have been mental.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You want a gym you will feel comfortable coming in daily and that has everything you need. I am incredibly lucky, since I pay $55 a months for our local recreation center that has it all, from pool with steam room to 2 levels of gym that is set up with 2 squatting racks (yes!), TRX, Kettle-bells, every imaginable machine and a gazillion cardio options, not to mention arenas and climbing wall. I feel like I won the lottery every day I walk in.

But all the equipment in the world won't help you if you do not know what you want to do. Do you have a program in mind? If you do not, gyms also run free classes. Take a look at the schedule, see how many people show up for classes that work for your schedule. Check out the quality of the instructor. Or, the cross-fit can be a great investment if 139$ offers a structured supervised group fitness program.

Next, who are the gym goers. Are they all burly men who would shoo you off the equipment and whom you would be uncomfortable around when lifting your empty Olympic bar? Are they all ladies running treadmills to nowhere till you pull the plug out? Or is there a mix of women, men and kids doing different things?

Finally, how easy is to cancel the membership? Horror stories abound.

All and all, there is one case in which you might not need a gym at all. That's if all you want to do is to go on a treadmill or elliptical or lift dumbbells or KBs that are <20 lbs heavy. In that case you are better off investing into purchasing home-related equipment. Jumping rope, resistance bands, some dumbbells and a ball, plus a couple of good running shoes... that's the things you can use at home, on the playground and in a park.

Gym is good for OTHER things that you cannot easily obtain.
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to a crossfit gym, but I have been doing some crossfit-style workouts at home and in my gym when no one is around to stare at me (I'm a little self conscious). I have used bodyrock.tv in the past, and it worked really well for the motivation factor. They post new workouts almost daily, and they are the short 12-15 minute crossfit-style workouts, and it kept me motivated by giving me something to look forward to every day. Most of them can be done without any equipment. You can also join a cheap gym and go to crossfit.com and do the posted WODs.
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think you need to weigh the cost vs the benefits. Think of it as an investment in yourself, really. I pay $135/mo and would pay more, because it is worth it. I make a lot of sacrifices in my schedule to attend class every day. I failed working out at home because I just didnt push myself. I've had personal training sessions at a traditional gym, and I get more out of my personal experiences at my crossfit than I ever did at a traditional gym.

I have to say tho... so long as you're exercising, then be happy. You don't have to pay for crossfit, pay for a cheap basic membership at a local gym. But if you want good crossfit, be willing to make that investment. It's worth every penny.

It's a personal decision you'll have to make. I'm extremely frugal (make own shampoo/conditioner, cleaners, urban farming) but I know when and where to spend my hard earned money, and its usually on myself and my son first.

Good luck :)
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was originally going to a $10 a month gym and following the new rules of lifting for women. I would seriously recommend that since you have never done lifting before. Maybe you could find a female buddy to do it with you? It's a pretty long program.

I changed over to crossfit because my workout buddy moved out of state and my cheap gym filled up due to bathing suit season. I need to group mentality and the scheduling to make myself go work out. I've noticed great changes in my body but I could see how you could get hurt! It's intense.
  • Hez14
    Options
    Crossfit is great. If you are a beginner workouts are scaled down to what you are able to do...it's for everyone, of all abilities. I started a year ago, and some days it's the cost that actually get me out of bed to drag my *kitten* there...I pay 80.00/mth but that's with a law enforcement discount it's around 100...the way i see it is...If I drank or smoked...I'd be spending that money...so why not spend it on my "hobby" of crossfit. Also...if you do it for 6-12 mths and learn the basics...you can go to another gym and use your knowledge to bang out a killer wod in a regular gym.
  • Fruch02
    Fruch02 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To the OP- YES it's worth it. That is all.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner go to a box and make sure its a good one and an affiliate. If you have power and oly lifting experience then you can possibly do it in a regular gym or at home.

Crossfit.com is the official site.