I did my first sprint tri yesterday!

Options
secretlobster
secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
What the heck was I so nervous for?! It was a breeze. The half mile swim was no problem at all, I kept a steady pace and even outswam a lot of the first wave (I was in the second). 12 mile bike was difficult, I don't own a road bike (only a hybrid) so lots of people breezed past me, especially on the hills. 3.1 mile trail run was kind of slow, the first 2 kilometers were dedicated to abolishing Jelly Leg syndrome and of course that's when all the hills were :) Overall I finished in 1 hour 44 minutes, almost exactly halfway between the first and last finishers.

I had so much fun... I know I could do a better time, but I'm glad I came away from it with confidence. Next time I may rent a road bike just for the event, but man I'm SO glad I trained for the swim!!

Oh, and since it was a 1.5 hour drive, I'm really glad I got a hotel room so I could wake up at 5:30am instead of 3am :P

Replies

• sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I only have a hybrid as well. I am doing my second sprint in less than 2 wks and hope that my increased training in the pool pays off as I am not a strong swimmer at all. Glad you loved it!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Nice, good luck on #2! I'm sure your swim training will be worth it.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction y'all, and I do mean addiction.
  • jkrobertson1998
    jkrobertson1998 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am glad you had fun at your event. My first event was a wash out. We were able to complete the first event, but the rain got to heavy so they called the race. But it is an addiction.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first race of many more to come! :happy:
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    awesome job, sounds like you had a great race
  • miss_september
    Options
    Congrats on finishing and that is an awesome time for a first event!! I also have a hybrid and have used it for sprint tris for the past three years. I will upgrade eventually =-).
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! My first couple of try a tri's were on a mountain bike but like the rest of us who get addicted, you will upgrade eventually :)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I love reading this stuff! I'm doing my first next summer, but using my big heavy mountain bike (no money for a new bike). I'm hoping to be under 2 hours.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I love reading this stuff! I'm doing my first next summer, but using my big heavy mountain bike (no money for a new bike). I'm hoping to be under 2 hours.

Maybe they have an offroad triathlon in your area? that would be a lot of fun on your bike!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your 1st tri! I started last year and am addicted!

I also have a hybrid bike & I HATE using it for races. I finally found a used road bike yesterday under $200. It needs a tune-up, but other than that is in good condition. I've been looking for over a month and found one in a pawn shop. Look on Craigslist & check local pawn shops. You might be able to find a bargain.