Introductions

Options

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're celiac. It often runs with Hashimotos, and the damage to the guts allows food molecules into the bloodstream that result in multiple allergies. A lot of food allergies have environmental cross-reactions.

I like your attitude and fully agree - I don't care how limited my diet is, I will always find something to eat. And it will be good!

I'm also a food sensitive mess.

They tested me for 49 foods and I had a reaction to 42. Some worse than others, so I have to be careful with combos. When they test me I always go into anaphylaxis as I'm having so many reactions to so many things at once.

So the really bad ones are any sprouted grains, including wheat, peanut butter, strawberries, and cow milk, (I can tolerate goat and sheep's milk). Chicken is not the greatest for me either. Have to be careful with fish and shell fish.

Things I can eat are corn, oats, chocolate and beef wooieee!

I'm also allergic to the sun, and have environmental allergies that can make my food sensitivities worse and vice versa. Top that with Asthma and a genetic thyroid disease, (Hashimoto's thyroiditis), and you've got the makings of something, I just don't know what.

but I refuse to treat myself as a sick person and will only think of myself as a healthy person with a few challenges. I cook everything I eat from scratch, and can still eat like a gourmet. Keeping it organic when I can, Kosher when I'm able, and fresh, fresh, fresh.
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm the mom to a little boy who just turned two and has had positive skin tests to peanut, egg, beef, garlic, peas, tomatoes and salmon and he is also sensitive to dairy, soy, coconut, avocado and carrots at least. He's also allergic to latex and has seasonal allergies. We're having more testing this week to try and figure out what's going on.

On top of this, I'm allergic to shrimp and eggplant and my husband is allergic to lobster and I have an almost-five year old who wants to eat all the foods a five year old wants to eat.

Finding things for us to eat has been a challenge but I've managed to do it this far.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    gluten-intolerant! I've been off gluten since August. I ate some peanut sauce with wheat in it on Saturday thinking "Oh, it's just a little... couldn't hurt." It hurt. A lot. Hi. I'm Shanni.

One website I looked at said to stay away from the brown sauces in Oriental restaurants. Good luck!
  • gramanana
    Options

Some days I feel consumed with all of this 'thinking' about food. Like I'm a little obsessed. Does anyone else feel this way??

I went gluten-free in April just so I could be wheat free and YES I'm obsessed with what I can eat, especially when we go out. It is getting better, but not good yet. I'm still looking for a cheap Asian restaurant and we haven't done any traveling yet either. The challenges are still out there. Good luck!
  • kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel consumed with all of this 'thinking' about food. Like I'm a little obsessed. Does anyone else feel this way??
    I am completely obsessed, all I can do is laugh about it. I am allergic to strawberries, cocoa (all chocolate), peanuts, tree nuts, seeds, fish, shellfish, mangoes, papayas. Sensitive to red & orange dyes, nightshades, corn and soy. I'm currently per my new D.O., off of sugar, yeast, gluten, fungus (cheese,mushrooms), fermented foods (vinegar, beer, wine) etc. What I can eat with abandon is fresh fruit, veg, meat & butter. I love to cook & love to eat. I cook almost all the food that I eat and always modify recipies.
  • gramanana
    Options
    I am completely obsessed, all I can do is laugh about it. I am allergic to strawberries, cocoa (all chocolate), peanuts, tree nuts, seeds, fish, shellfish, mangoes, papayas. Sensitive to red & orange dyes, nightshades, corn and soy. I'm currently per my new D.O., off of sugar, yeast, gluten, fungus (cheese,mushrooms), fermented foods (vinegar, beer, wine) etc. What I can eat with abandon is fresh fruit, veg, meat & butter. I love to cook & love to eat. I cook almost all the food that I eat and always modify recipies.

I felt like that for a long time when I went gluten free. It does pass. Now my obsession is eating healthy (which I really have trouble with) and getting stronger with exercise. But these are all good things to think about. I feel sorry that you are allergic to chocolate, I don't know what I'd do if I had to give that up (LOL). Good luck on this journey.
  • kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks, gramanana. I do eat alot of really good food. Its easier for me to eat healthy since I dont eat many processed or packaged foods. Right now I'm missing peanut butter (haven't had it in over 3 years), honey and cheese the most. I'm working on not being so allergic through this "reset". I know I'll be better on the other side. I go back to the DR. this week and we'll see if I can start working on incorporating foods back in. I'm glad I know how to cook. This would be a whole other drama of I couldn't. lol.

I felt like that for a long time when I went gluten free. It does pass. Now my obsession is eating healthy (which I really have trouble with) and getting stronger with exercise. But these are all good things to think about. I feel sorry that you are allergic to chocolate, I don't know what I'd do if I had to give that up (LOL). Good luck on this journey.
  • arxantia
    arxantia Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I'm kinda new to MFP but happy to find others with food allergies :) I don't eat pork or beef and limit gluten (can't find a small tortilla/foldout that will stay together-any suggestions?) plus am a very picky eater. I am 'deathly' allergic to the Onion family (onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, etc.) so it's been fun since I found that out 5 years ago. Will be interested to see what type of recipes/suggestions you have here :)
  • pdworkman
    Options
    My husband and son use corn tortillas. I can't do corn, I make a buckwheat/tapioca blend.
    Hi, I'm kinda new to MFP but happy to find others with food allergies :) I don't eat pork or beef and limit gluten (can't find a small tortilla/foldout that will stay together-any suggestions?) plus am a very picky eater. I am 'deathly' allergic to the Onion family (onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, etc.) so it's been fun since I found that out 5 years ago. Will be interested to see what type of recipes/suggestions you have here :)
  • arxantia
    arxantia Posts: 5
    Options
    My husband and son use corn tortillas. I can't do corn, I make a buckwheat/tapioca blend.
    I don't do corn but I did try those small corn tortillas and they just fall apart on me, most of what I put in is very 'wet' so they get soggy real fast. I wouldn't mind trying a buckwheat/tapioca blend one, is it one you made up or did you find it online?
  • pdworkman
    Options
    I don't do corn but I did try those small corn tortillas and they just fall apart on me, most of what I put in is very 'wet' so they get soggy real fast. I wouldn't mind trying a buckwheat/tapioca blend one, is it one you made up or did you find it online?

My own recipe:

Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas

2 teaspoons Salt
    2 cups buckwheat flour
    2 cups tapioca starch
    2 tsp xanthan gum
    water

Preparation

Whisk flours together.

Process in mixer, adding water slowly until mixture *starts* to form a ball. Leave it mixing for several minutes, and only add more water, a bit at a time, if the sides of the mixing bowl do not come clean. The longer you mix it, the better the texture of the finished product will be.

Roll out balls into flat round tortillas. (Easiest to roll between two layers of Glad wrap with a bit of buckwheat flour.)

Heat skillet to medium, and place tortilla on greased skillet until brown spots appear (will need to cook both sides). Best served warm.
  • SDleia
    SDleia Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello, I'm Leia. I am intolerant of wheat, gluten, dairy, soy, and eggs. I am currently doing an elimination diet because I suspect tree nuts will be added to the list. I'm also going to start cycling my menu so that I am not eating a typically allergenic food daily (i.e. strawberries). I'm just looking to commiserate with other food intolerant people ;)
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Welcome Leia!

If you want to pm me your e-mail address, I can send you my "food families" Word document that might make your rotation diet a little easier to manage.
  • triciamarie
    triciamarie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just found this boad after posting on the general food and nutrition. I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with Hashimots and it was recc that I "go Gf". It has been a great 2 yrs for me! My son has been tested numerous times for allergies(food,seasonal,etc) he has always tested sensitive to milk and soy but only so much that it makes him break out in eczema. The skin issues have been getting worse so this last time we went to the allergist she recc that I remove gluten and soy from his diet. Now I am used to reading labels but boy I had no idea soy was in just about everything GF!. I could def use some assistance, feeling very overwhelmed and frustrated because we keep slipping with my GFitems. I have read just about everyones posts on here and I am so impressed with all of you :) It gives me hope that I can do it for my son :)
  • melissalucey
    melissalucey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody-

Does anyone else here have a poultry allergy? Luckily, I can still eat eggs.
    I've also got an intolerance to lactose- I find I can handle a small spalsh of heavy cream in my coffee- but that's about it.
    Anything more than that sends my GI track into overdrive.

Soy makes me feel awful all over, as in emotionally fragile, depressed, and my hands and face swell a little.

I'd love to hear about vegetarian recipes without soy if anyone has some. Also, as I'm insulin resistant, I've got to be careful about the sugars and carbs I consume. Suggestions welcome!
    (I'm awfully sick of my own cooking)

Melissa
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I really don't know if I have any real food allergies as my allergist refuses to test me saying I just have auto-immune chronic urticaria. I have had hives for 7 months straight. Except for about two weeks when I went off all dairy wheat/gluten, soy and eggs. I do still eat one brand of salad dressing that has a slight amount of soy in it however because it is gluten dairy and egg free.

I am finding that other foods are seeming to bother me still as I can't get rid of the hives. Coffee, nuts, potatoes, chocolate, melons, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, nutritional yeast. I am guessing on these though because I truthfully don't know as I have never gotten completely rid of the hives. Just some things seem to make them worse and give me extreme angiodema of the lips face and eyes and even nasal swelling. I have had my tongue go numb and my throat and chin go numb and tingly as well. All citrus is not good for me either.

So I am kinda freaked out at this point, not sure what to eat anymore. So I don't eat much lately. Which I know is not healthy either. I know I can eat some veggies but spinach might be a trigger as well even though I love it.
  • Spookie02
    Spookie02 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, I'm Theresa!

I figured something was going on food wise due to not being able to lose weight. With the advise of a friend with a masters in nutrition, I have embarked on the great trial of figuring out exactly what I'm intolerant of. Today, I can confirm I'm mildly intolerant of gluten. Next week's test is dairy (I am quite sure already I'm intolerant). After that I'm checking soy, eggs and corn. I was going to skip the soy test, but as its an additive in so many products, I figured I should!

Has anyone not had a reaction to corn, but then had a reaction to organic corn pasta?

I wish there was some easy test, but oh well.
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Jessy and I have been working with doctors to pinpoint what seems to be a variety of food allergies. Right now I'm gluten and artificial sweetener free, and extremely limited by dairy, soy, and red meat!

Hoping to meet a few people from this group with allergies as well, since it can sometimes be difficult to find great food choices!!
  • Sam9690
    Sam9690 Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello, I'm Samantha. I'm highly allergic to soy and carry an EpiPen with me at all times. It's not so bad as it actually helps me eat clean, since soy is in most processed foods!
  • RoastyToasty
    RoastyToasty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm Kat, and I have severe seasonal allergies and suffer from OAS (oral allergy syndrome). While I am not technically "allergic" to anything, I do trigger a response to all tree nuts and several raw fruits and vegetables. I carry an epi pen to be safe.

OAS has made eating healthy difficult at times. It is so easy to fall into the processed food trap. A veggie filled salad makes my throat swell up but a Big Mac goes down like a dream- so not conducive to eating well!