First blood-work since diagnosis

Options
Cameo530
Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
So, I've met with my doctor once a month since my diagnosis on June 22, just to keep tabs on my weight loss, the trend of my BG levels, my moods, any questions I might have, etc. but today was my first 3-month blood work appointment. My blood pressure is still good and I won't know the results of the cholesterol test for a few days, but they do the A1C immediately. Three months ago, at diagnosis, it was 10.2 and today it was 7.3! Yay!

I realize I still have work to do because I want it down around 5, but to see that I could move it nearly three points in as many months was encouraging. The doctor was expecting it to be around 8 and was happy with that amount of progress, so she was thrilled with the 7.3.:happy:

Replies

• fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That is really great news!! :flowerforyou:
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress. Keep on truckin' you are doing great.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Great progress. I'd also like to get my a1c down to 5 (I'd be happy with 5.2)...hopefully by my next check-up!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thats terrific!! WTG...and continued progress!!
  • evajg
    evajg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know how it feels to get positive feedback for the work put it! Got my first blood work back this week since I started in May.
    A1C down from 9.2 to 6.0..... I was so happy. It's encouragement to keep getting better and better.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Excellent work!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Great job. That is a huge improvement in 3 months!
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for you! You've done great work and you can continue to get it on down there! Enjoy your success :flowerforyou:
  • Cameo530
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It was a really great moment and I left there feeling wonderful!

Unfortunately it didn't last because she talked me into getting the flu shot and the pneumonia vaccine today because she said every diabetic should have them and now I feel terrible. :sick: Headachy and stiff and exhausted. Blah. I hope this passes fast. I came straight home from work today and laid down on the couch for a 3 hour nap. I just got up and still feel rotten, and still have to cook something for supper because not eating isn't an option and it's already 8:30 pm here. Crud.
  • Cameo530
    Options
    Great job! I know how it feels to get positive feedback for the work put it! Got my first blood work back this week since I started in May.
    A1C down from 9.2 to 6.0..... I was so happy. It's encouragement to keep getting better and better.

Congratulations! You're down in the "safe" zone! You're right, my results do encourage me to do even better.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congrats for such an awesome a1c result, for all you've done to make it happen, and hope the icks pass soon! Rock on!
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That is so good. It goes to show we can improve our health. I am new to this Diabetic thing,and it is a little scarey. Your results are a great affirmation to living healthhy.Congratulations.:flowerforyou:
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I hope the yuck has passed. Luckily you don't need the pneumonia shot too often. I need to go get a flu shot. It has been so warm lately I forget fall is coming.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I got the pneumonia shot 18 months ago. It's good for 10 years.

My flu shot is coming up on my next doctor visit in about 3 weeks time. I get them at the doctors as my insurance covers them 100% with no copay.

Then in a couple of years time I will get the shingles shot as well.

Kurt aka PinCushion
  • bestmother13
    Options
    What good news! Your hard work is payin off.
  • Cameo530
    Options
    I got the pneumonia shot 18 months ago. It's good for 10 years.

My flu shot is coming up on my next doctor visit in about 3 weeks time. I get them at the doctors as my insurance covers them 100% with no copay.

Then in a couple of years time I will get the shingles shot as well.

Kurt aka PinCushion

They told me the pneumonia was good until age 65, when I'd need a booster and for me that's 22 years away! I think the flu shot was the one kicking my butt yesterday. They did an intradermal shot and it flippin' hurt and today it's swollen and hot and sore, which they told me to expect. I think it's making my BG run a little higher than usual too, though not a lot. Luckily it's only supposed to last for a few days. And I know what you mean about being a pin-cushion. Between home FBG, A1C, vaccinations and blood draw, I was jabbed 5 times yesterday morning. And on an empty stomach!! :)
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!!
  • wcucats77
    Options
    Congratulations to you both Cameo and EVAJK. Amazing results. I wasn't aware that getting flu shots and pneumonia shots. Can anyone tell me why these shots are so critical for diabetics?

Again, congrats to you both.

WCUCATS77
  • shellanddiabetes
    Options
    FANTASTIC!!.. Such great news..
    Hugs
  • Cameo530
    Options
    Congratulations to you both Cameo and EVAJK. Amazing results. I wasn't aware that getting flu shots and pneumonia shots. Can anyone tell me why these shots are so critical for diabetics?

Again, congrats to you both.

WCUCATS77

My understanding was that we want to avoid ANY illnesses that we can, as they can wreak havoc on our BGL, so since there are vaccines now for flu and pneumonia, they recommend that we get them in order to avoid getting sick and screwing up our levels.

For me at least, the doctor will have to talk long and hard next year to convince me to do the flu shot again. I can't even remember the last time I had the flu. I know it's been years and years. But the flu shot made me miserable. Hot, achy, exhausted, higher than usual BGL (only by about 20 points or so, but still), nauseous, and with a four-day migraine which is the part that really sucked. Keep in mind though that this is just my experience with it. Lots of people get it and get no side effects whatsoever.