Bulletproof coffee - 1st time

Options
So I just made bulletproof coffee for the first time this morning. I was quite skeptical, but it actually wasn't that bad! I've been drinking my coffee with the International delight vanilla creamers (I'm sorry but I can't give up my coffee and we have a giant box from Sam's Club) but decided to try the BP since I really need to get back to the Paleo lifestyle and committ.
I was creamier than I expected (I did blend it in my magic bullet) and didn't have a bad flavor at all.
Has anyone added spices or flavorings (ie. pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, etc) and how has that turned out?

Replies

• wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on the bulletproof coffee! I have been keeping mine basic, with just kerrygold butter, MCT oil and sometimes coconut oil. I recently saw a post about adding a spoonful or two of pumpkin and some nutmeg - I definitely want to try that one to see if it satisfies my Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte cravings! Someone else also mentioned adding cocoa powder - another great idea on my list to try.

You said you blended in your magic bullet - I have been using my counter blender as I wasn't sure how the bullet would do with hot liquid. You didn't have any trouble?
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It wanted to leak at first, but I think that as just my crappy seal (I should change it - its been trying to leak with my breakfast smoothies as well)... but to be honest I think the butter from the refrigerator cooled it down enough. After I had blended it I poured it into my travel mug for the drive to work (also not sure how the magic bullet canisters hold up to heat).

I love our magic bullet - its so convenient! I actually have 2 - my bf and I each bought one and then a year later moved in together... double the canisters = prolonging dishes!

I just bought some canned pumpkin... maybe I'll try that in the morning... I LOVE pumpkin spice lattes... and pumpkin spice creamer and anything pumpkin.

I just used organic unsalted butter and some coconut oil. What is MCT oil? Where do you get it? Expensive? Different than coconut oil?
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    I've tried cinnamon, apple pie spice, vanilla and cherry extract, and pumpkin in my coffee. The pumpkin didn't quite take away the starbucks latte craving I had, but it wasn't bad; definitely should be drunk hot - I let mine cool after tasting it the first time (drove to work) and it wasn't as good as before. Cinnamon is a regular for me, but it does tend to hang out in the foam on top. And the vanilla and cherry were good for a new twist on the coffee.

Love Love LOVE my bulletproof coffee every morning. :love:
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    What is MCT oil? Where do you get it? Expensive? Different than coconut oil?

MCT stands for medium-chain triglycerides. MCT is type of fat that is more easily digested and more rapidly metabolized for energy than other types of fats. MCT's are naturally-occurring in coconut and palm kernel oils. I read about it on the bulletproofexec web site so decided to order some since it seems to give you more of the 'good stuff' from coconut oil. I've gotten mine from drugstore.com as I couldn't find it locally anywhere. About $20 for a 32 oz. bottle. Gotta be careful though as the bottle gets slippery....I dropped one on the granite countertop last week. What a mess!

KittyMarie - great ideas - thanks for sharing!!
  • Kimber415
    Kimber415 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started living Primally about 3 weeks ago and still learning....how do I make the bulletproof coffee?
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    KBOYD415 - If you're just starting out you might not have the MCT oil or different butter types that many people prefer; I'm the same way because I'm still trying to figure out how/where to get the best quality items without breaking the bank. My coffee consists of 1TBS unsalted butter, 1TBS Coconut Oil, A little coconut milk or a natural creamer, cinnamon, coffee, and some Stevia (I still haven't been able to break away from sweeteners). If you have a blender (or better a mini/personal blender) whip it up good and have a taste. I know it sounds a little weird at first, adding butter and oil to your coffee, but it's GREAT and it especially helps tide you over if you're not a big breakfast person.
  • Kimber415
    Options
    I've been talking to another gal and she does 1 tsp coconut oil and heavy whipping cream? I've found the Kerrygold Irish Butter but havdn't heard of the other oil you mention. So more or less, it's just regular coffee you make, add the assortment of ingredients that peps suggest like coconut oil, heavy whipping cream, spices, pumpkin etc....blend and drink? Yes, this other gal does this and then doesn't eat breakfast and does the intermittent fasting. Thanks for the reply. So far loving Primal. Want to lift more heavy things (weights) but not sure how heavy to left? Doing my sprints for the week tonight. Thanks again
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I have been wondering about this coffee myself. Thanks so much everyone!
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was very skeptical but love it! I dont put the butter in though - just coconut oil and a touch of coconut milk and blend it in my single cup smoothie blender. Will definately need to try adding some pumpkin spice!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I just tried this for the first time this past Monday and I am HOOKED! Been having it every morning since! I just use 1/2 tbsn clarified butter, 1/2 tbsn coconut oil and a splash of coconut milk and its perfect for my tastes! This morning I also put 1/2 tbsn cocoa powder in it but it didnt change the flavor all that much so I think I'll try a little more tomorrow.

I will definitely be trying the pumpkin spices as well! I'm definitely missing my Pumpkin coffee creamers and lattes!
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical, too. I love(d) the powdered non-dairy creamer and used lots of it and was drinking 3 cups of coffee a day. Now that I've switched to just coconut oil in my coffee, I enjoy 1 really good cup a day.
  • CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @KBOYD415 - I'm not looking at my primal fitness book right now, but as I recall, Mark suggests starting out with body-weight exercises. Push-ups, pull-ups, squats, sit-ups, that kind of thing. Once you're doing a certain number without great effort, you can hold weights in your hands, or wear a weight vest while you do them.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Can I make minus the butter... or with coconut oil? I can't have dairy... I'm keen to try this and have seen it on fellow paleo diary's but not sure of the ingredients or where to buy? Does it require special coffee?
  • Kimber415
    Options
    Thanks...I think I read MDA suggests an over the door chin up bar...might check into that as well. Thanks
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the BP Club!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've missed maybe four days of starting my morning with that in 2012. I won't say it's addictive (so as not to offend a certain easily-offended population of MFP) but will instead say that it has been very habit-forming.

Welcome to the club.

(My recipe is 2 cups freshly brewed, freshly ground coffee, 3T kerrygold butter, and 18-30g of MCT oil.)
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil (which gives it a little coconut flavor) and the butter and find this super tasty, but I think some pumpkin pie spice would be awesome, especially this time of year!
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I tried a version this morning. Just coconut oil, but added cinnamon, ginger and cayenne (no blender). The spices add a nice kick and rev up my system. I wasn't sure if I would like the oil addition, but it made it mellower and I think zapped in a blender it will be even better.

Tomorrow I might add a little cocoa powder to this for what I call this "mexican coffee" as it reminds me a bit of the spices for chicken molle.

And I have to hunt down some grass fed butter.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I tried a version this morning. Just coconut oil, but added cinnamon, ginger and cayenne (no blender). The spices add a nice kick and rev up my system. I wasn't sure if I would like the oil addition, but it made it mellower and I think zapped in a blender it will be even better.

Tomorrow I might add a little cocoa powder to this for what I call this "mexican coffee" as it reminds me a bit of the spices for chicken molle.

And I have to hunt down some grass fed butter.

Do you have kerrygold anywhere near you? Its pasture-fed cattle as far as I know
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Does anyone know if this works okay in cold coffee? I typically brew coffee in the evening and chill it in the fridge overnight to have iced coffee in the am.

Seems like a silly question, but thought I would put it out there. I am imagining that adding oil to coffee would just cause seperation, but you have all tried this so thought you might know for sure.