Week One Challenge "Diary"

Options
Spiceanne
Spiceanne Posts: 88 Member
Hope everyone had a great week one. How did the challenges goes? Did any seem really hard or really easy? Were you shocked with some of the challenges once you started them? Was there something you particularly liked about a challenge or completely hated?

Replies

• clare_marie
    clare_marie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've had a really good week, I've not managed to complete all the challenges but I've been really impressed with myself for doing them. I'll update you all now as I'm off to a wedding today so won't be able to complete any more.

Exercise Challenges: I've not been feeling 100% this week, so not been able to do cardio based things so not managed them unfortunately. But I managed all the strength exercises, that were tough but I was proud of myself for doing them and could definitely feel them working. The push ups and burpees I adapted to knee push ups as I can't do normal push ups (yet!) I'm determined one day I'll be able to do them.

Food Challenges: Except for the protein challenge where I managed 78g, I completed all of these. I'm not that great at making sure I drink enough during the day, so the drinking all that water made me really proud of myself. After just drinking water all day - I even felt naughty going to have a cup of green tea the next morning for breakfast.

I've really enjoyed the challenges so far, had a quick peek at next weeks ones - And I'm thinking the food ones will be easier for me, as I do most of the cooking from fresh at home anyway, I love trying new recipes. I've been feeling really good about this week, I'm just going to have to stay strong while I'm at this wedding today where I know it's all yummy (but calorific) food... Afternoon Tea (I know, how English but I love it!); Pie and Mash followed by Sticky Toffee Pudding!

Hope you've all had a great week too and have good weekends, I'll catch up on Monday with that first weigh in.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I also had a good week and almost completed the challenges...just one exercise challenge left to do today! The food ones for me were maybe too easy. I'm already eating fairly clean and planning carefully so I was able to complete them all in one day :) Although I say the food challenges are easy, I tend to binge eat when I'm super stressed or beyond bored at work. If I didn't do that I'd have lost my last 10 lbs weeks ago (heck months ago!!). The exercise challenges were a bit harder for me. I already have a full plate of exercise. I'm working through New Rules of Lifting for Life (completed for women twice!) and try to lift 3 days a week. I'm working on C10K the other 3 days which is now up to one hour of running/walking combinations. That leaves me with 1 rest day a week and I try to incorporate an active rest day - get out for a walk go biking etc. So adding in extra exercise is kinda hard BUT it's so worth it to push beyond my comfort zone!

Again thanks for challenging us! It's too easy for us humans to stick to what's comfortable so it's great for us to have those moments of "no I can't do it"!!!!!
  • minisumo
    minisumo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I found the food challenges relatively easy but I learned a few things. I have no problem logging but tend to leave my diary blank when I have a bad day - so this week I made sure I logged my worst day (Thursday). Considering this used to be my standard daily diet it was an interesting exercise to see just how many calories I'd been consuming in my life before MFP - needless to say it was eye-opening and explains a lot! From now on I have promised to log EVERYTHING, regardless of how good or bad I've been. I also opted to make Friday my under-calorie-goal day - usually this day would be similar to my Thursday, full of bad food and empty calories. But I did it! And relatively easily - in fact, my calorie goal is 1200 and I set myself a goal for the day of 1000 which I actually struggled to reach!

For the exercise challenges I'm already doing C25k so completing the mile was part of my normal workout. For the different cardio I dusted off my Zumba DVD which I haven't done in about a year - I'd forgotten how much I enjoy doing it, so now it will be part of my weekly routine. The strength challenges were more, erm, challenging. I couldn't manage to complete the totals set and I had to adapt a couple of them, but I pushed myself way out of my comfort zone. I'm aching in places I didn't know I could, but it's all good!

Thanks so much for organising the group and setting these challenges, Spiceanne. Very much looking forward to starting Week 2 :)
  • thisisaimee91
    Options
    I've done ok this week. Managed most of the challenges but not 10 glasses water, 50 burpees or new piece of cardio equipment. Gonna try harder next week!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Done well this week. Only challenge not complete was the new piece of cardio equipment, just could not figure out what to do as I already mix it up pretty good with my cardio.
  • VickiG36
    VickiG36 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Challenge 1: Run 1 mile--DONE
    Challenge 2: 4 rounds of 10 squats, 5 lunges, and 10 push ups-DONE
    Challenge 3: Do a piece of cardio equipment you normally never do. I.e. if you normally bike, walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical - I DON'T ATTEND A GYM AND ONLY HAVE A TREADMILL. I COULD HAVE BIKED BUT IT'S TOO DARN HOT.
    Challenge 4: Do 100 squats, 100 dips and 100 second plank. This one doesn't need to be done at one time but challenge yourself and attempt to do it at one time-DONE
    Challenge 5: 50 burpees. Again this one doesn't need to be done at one time. I GOT 25 DONE

Along with the 5 exercise challenges there will 5 food related challenges:
    Challenge 1: Drink 10 plus glasses of water-DIDN'T DO
    Challenge 2: Record every piece of food or liquid that you eat. It doesn't matter if it is one cracker record it all-DIDN'T DO
    Challenge 3: Only drink water one day, no coffee,no energy drinks, no pop, just water-DIDN'T DO
    Challenge 4: Try to eat under or as close to your calorie goal as possible-ONLY ACCOMPLISHED FOR 2 DAYS, IT THINK
    Challenge 5: Attempt to eat more than 110g of protein one day-DIDN'T DO EITHER

Ok obviously I need to work on the food challenges.

Excited for next week.
  • tallieterp
    tallieterp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was able to do everything but the 100 squats dips and plank and the 50 burpees...

I have a 5k next Sunday so I spent the week focusing on lots of cardio as this is a big personal goal for me!
  • KathyMarie1970
    KathyMarie1970 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was so excited that I did all the challenges this week. Those burpees and squats kicked my butt! But that is what I needed to get out of my comfort zone. Can't wait to start next week.
  • Hells_Bells85
    Options
    Challenge 1: Run 1 mile - DONE*

Challenge 2: 4 rounds of 10 squats, 5 lunges, and 10 push ups - DONE*

Challenge 3: Do a piece of cardio equipment you normally never do. I.e. if you normally bike, walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical - NOT DONE. I USE THE RUNNING MACHINE, CROSS TRAINER, BIKE AND ROWER SO NO EQUIPMENT TO USE :(

Challenge 4: Do 100 squats, 100 dips and 100 second plank. This one doesn't need to be done at one time but challenge yourself and attempt to do it at one time - DONE IN ADDITION TO MY USUAL EXERCISE PLAN

Challenge 5: 50 burpees. Again this one doesn't need to be done at one time - I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY I.T. BAND AND BURPEES AGGRAVATES THIS SO NOT DONE.

Challenge 1: Drink 10 plus glasses of water - NOT DONE. BEST DAY WAS 9 GLASSES.

Challenge 2: Record every piece of food or liquid that you eat. It doesn't matter if it is one cracker record it all - ISH. WENT ROUND TO A FRIEND'S HOUSE FOR A MEAL ON FRIDAY SO JUST PUT A QUICK ENTRY ESTIMATE OF CALORIES

Challenge 3: Only drink water one day, no coffee,no energy drinks, no pop, just water - DONE.

Challenge 4: Try to eat under or as close to your calorie goal as possible - DID THIS FOR 5 DAYS

Challenge 5: Attempt to eat more than 110g of protein one day - NOT DONE. BEST DAY WAS 75g

*As part of my usual exercise plan

So not bad but could do better!
  • Aprilstar480
    Aprilstar480 Posts: 2,910 Member
    Options
    **Challenge 1: Run 1 mile
    Challenge 2: 4 rounds of 10 squats, 5 lunges, and 10 push ups
    **Challenge 3: Do a piece of cardio equipment you normally never do. I.e. if you normally bike, walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical
    Challenge 4: Do 100 squats, 100 dips and 100 second plank. This one doesn't need to be done at one time but challenge yourself and attempt to do it at one time
    Challenge 5: 50 burpees. Again this one doesn't need to be done at one time.

** Challenge 1: Drink 10 plus glasses of water
    **Challenge 2: Record every piece of food or liquid that you eat. It doesn't matter if it is one cracker record it all
    **Challenge 3: Only drink water one day, no coffee,no energy drinks, no pop, just water
    **Challenge 4: Try to eat under or as close to your calorie goal as possible
    Challenge 5: Attempt to eat more than 110g of protein one day

I had a super busy weekend and wasn't able to log my food but I don't think I ate that much protein. I had a bunch of crab but thats about it. Not sure why I didn't find time to do the exercises but I will get it done this week.
  • vickiandrews
    vickiandrews Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The challenges I struggled with were the having 110g of protein (what vegetables can I get that much protein from? I'm not a vegetarian and enjoy eating meat but there's only so much you can have on your plate!). Also never did the 'Do a piece of cardio equipment you normally never do' - I don't go to a gym, just try to do things off my own back at home such as the Tracey Anderson Cardio and Mat Workouts, so struggled with ideas for this one.

And, I suppose if you look at the exercise challenges I marked as being complete it probably wasn't exactly as Meg had set them, but I feel that I completed them to the best of my ability and can only improve from there!

xxx
  • Spiceanne
    Options
    try eating greek yogurt or cottage cheese, they are good sources of protein, egg whites, spinach, beans/lentils, broccoli, quinoa, nuts like almonds, asparagus, Brussels sprouts,
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I found the protein challenge difficult last week, but I have never really paid attention to my protein numbers and today by accident have 111g.
  • newtracer0588
    Options
    I did horrible. I started off good but my week ended horrible. I'm trying to look forward and keep my positive thoughts going. My biggest challenge is time management. I've been trying to wake up earlier to exercise that way I don't have to worry about doing it after work but I keep hitting the snooze button every morning. I think a personal goal each week is to start off doing one exercise in the morning this week and then kick it up to two next week in the morning.

It's been hard for me to jump into this full force. I start to loose my rhythm and it messes with my head big time. I didn't even want to weight myself this morning.

It's great to see people doing well!! I wish I was with ya.
  • adancer59
    adancer59 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My week started off great, but by Thursday I realized that my motivation for MFP, eating healthier, and exercising had caused me to get behind in school. Well, not really behind, but I failed to notice how much I have to do in the next 3 weeks, so now I'm feeling very overwhelmed. I only completed 2 of the exercise challenges and 4 of the food challenges. However, I left them on my list when I added the stuff for this week. I figure that eventually school won't be so time consuming, and I'll have more time for exercise again. I am really happy that I only went over my calories 1 day! So I'm trying to stay focused on the positive and get back on track.
  • Steelrose43
    Options
    I had a great day of doctor appointments and bad news. I will not be able to participate in the challenge 100%. I am going to keep working on my food journal and try to stay with-in my calories, but the exercise is going to be through a physical therapist.
  • Darellt
    Darellt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where are the challenges posted?
  • Spiceanne
    Options
    Where are the challenges posted?

Check under the topic that says "Sept 24 to Sept 30" and that will be week two challenges