Chicken wings- yes or no?

Options
xiamjackie
xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
I am pretty new to this low-carb stuff (only on my second week). Today is my first day where I will have net carbs under 40g (It will actually be 33g) so I am excited! I had been leading a lifestyle where I easily ate 150-200g of carbs a day. It has been extremely hard these past two weeks but I think I am starting to get the hang of it.

I was going through recipes on here of what a lot of low-carbers eat. I noticed nobody put any recipes of chicken wings or that they like to eat wings when they go out. I looked up the nutritional information online and a lot of websites said that wings contain no carbs, but some of the sauces might. Hot sauce doesn't, for example, but BBQ sauce does. I was thinking of getting wings one night after work. This may seem like a silly question but are there hidden carbs I don't know about or do most of you on here just not like chicken wings? haha

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    As long as they aren't breaded, and not sweet. Stick to the mild/medium/hot with ranch or blue cheese. There can be a little in the dressings and you never really know if a wing shop spikes their plain sauces with a little sugar unless you ask.

I make them at least twice a week, fried or baked depending on my mood, and I just use franks hot wing sauce, no butter. And ranch!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Wings aren't a big thing here in the UK- unless you specifically go to a US themed restaurant or a chinese restaurant. I do however make my own from time to time. I oven bake mine and either make them with hot sauce (I pick the lowest carb one I can find) or I make them chinese-style (non breaded) with a salt & pepper/ 5 spice seasoning with green onions, chillis and pepper garnish... works well with ribs too.

Yum... got to buy me some wings!!
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    I eat wings a lot, Especially when the family orders pizza, I order wings and salad. So yes, I eat the buffalo style, but watch out some of them are sweetened, or thickened and contain carbs. So look up nutritional info ahead of time. Don't order wings that have breading, only Traditional and Naked. And bring your own sauce if you want to be safe. I've been low carbing for almost 2 years now.
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would be carefully on chicken wings. Arent they dipped in flour before being fried?
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    No usually, but some places like hooters do. Boneless wings are almost always breaded.
  • mycatbutters
    mycatbutters Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Alot of places soak their chicken in seasonings/flavorings etc. I would look up the restaurant here or on their website to see if someone has posted the nutritional information.

Also if you use dipping sauce, carb content can vary in ranch and it's easy to lose track of just how much you're using.
  • tenkilos1
    Options
    I eat lots of wings-love them, I make 2 kilos at a time, and I make my own marinade, soya sauce /garlic/ chicken stock powder/coconut oil, I just mix everything together, make sure all the wings are coated, bake in a shallow pan in the oven for about an hour turning every now and then YUM The coconut oil makes them crispy!