2 week pre-op diet

Options
jmwolffyy
jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
The center where I am having my RNY requires a 2 week VLC diet. I am on day 3 and I am STARVING!!! I found protein that I like, so that has not been a problem. I keep telling myself that in less than 2 weeks I will find even this much food to be WAY too much, but I am finding that I didn't realize just how much I had been eating in a given day.

Sorry, just had to vent, and probably will again before the GREAT DAY.

Replies

• Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY 4 years ago. The 2 week pre-op diet was the absolute worst part of the process for me. Even recovering from surgery was easier. Hang in there. The rest is a breeze : )
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am in the midst of my two week high protein liquid diet. I started last Tuesday, Aug 14th - so 9 days now . Days 1-3 were ok - days 4-5 were horrific - the headaches were inane, I was stark raving crazy with hunger and ended up so sick to my stomach from not having much to eat. Thankfully since day 6 it's gotten better. The key for me is to just keep busy - as long as I am busy doing something then I can't think about it or focus on it. Hang in there - I know how you feel. I keep reminding myself that the end result will make all this stuff now so worth it!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    sugar free Popsicle helped me. The cold seemed to shut my tummy down for a while so I ate one a day as a snack. Basically my day looked like this... protein shake, sugar free jello, protein shake, popsicle, protein shake, chicken broth. I'd say day 3 was my rough day but that was because I was withdrawing from caffeine (I really wanted a coke).
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    SF popsicles and jello were my new best friends! The pre-op part was bad...I wont lie...but keep your eye on the prize...you are almost there!
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    It's the worst part of the process,but try to hand in there it will be worth it in the end
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the support! I actually was very fearful that the weekend was going to be a huge problem, and that I would never stay anywhere near 800 calories, but I did way better than I expected! I had an EGD on Friday, so I actually had less than 300 calories that day, and not nearly enough was protein, but since I couldn't have anything until around 3pm, I didn't expect I could have. Then Saturday, my husband had the great idea of going to the city and shopping. Barnes and Noble, a superstore that we don't have at home, and by the time we were done he wanted to go get something to eat! (Yeah, real helpful... :\...) So I made super-good choices, and although I did go over, it was only by a little, and I got plenty of protein. Then today, I did absolutely perfect, and got right at the 800, and I am not feeling like I am starving! Feeling a LOT better, and much more positive going into the second week.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Great job! You are almost there :flowerforyou:
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My surgeon did not require a pre op diet and I wish he had. My liver was enlarged and the doctor had issues with my liver being HUGE and I ended up with 5 incisions instead of 3. Keep your eye on the prize!
  • DanaLLewis
    Options
    Day one of the 2 week pre-op liquid diet and oh my god, this sucks!!!!! Already hungry!!
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    I had 9 days of liquid pre-op at 600 cal or less. sf jello, sf Popsicle, broth was it beside the meal replacement shake. I figured it would be worth it because it would put me closer to the goal I had in mind.

the got me going into the 2 week liquid diet post surgery and I had a couple more options but it all went well.

good luck and YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • rjwant
    rjwant Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I didn't really follow the pre-op diet that well. I am a vegetarian and all that protein just wasn't up my alley. But it's been over 5 years since my surgey and I'm still hanging in there (just not quite as healthy as I could be). It was the post-op diet that killed me! I was starving the entire 6 weeks post-op. Hang in there though, you can do it!