Post Your Row!

Options
CrankyGoatWECHANGED
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
"Our lives are not determined by what happens to us but by how we react to what happens, not by what life brings us but by the attitude we bring to life."

"The oars gave me power, but also taught me humility."

"Winning medals is good, racing is better, loving the sport is best!"

This forum topic is meant to be supportive and motivating - not aggressive or competitive ... please feel free to post your rowing workouts and share your thoughts on whether it was good or bad workout and why.

Let's help encourage each other to keep rowing...

Replies

• DavidMW1
    DavidMW1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Water rower, and try to complete a "piece" most days, varying from 20 mins to 45 mins. At the moment, I start off rating at about 22spm, for the first 10 mins or so, and slowly pick this up to 24, 26, and finish off with a two or three minute push at 28. Depending on how good I feel, sometimes I can raise this to 30. My self imposed splits I set at minimum of 1.5K per 10 minutes, so in 45 mins I expect to complete 6.75K minimum. 20 mins, I can usually increase this to at least 3.2K.
    Next goal is to get up to 9K for an hour, then move onto intervals, to increase my pace.
    I've found a Concept II at a local gym, so when it's quiet, I'll try a test to see how distances compare.

Today; 45Mins 6.75K , average 2.5M per second.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    I've been a little busy workwise recently, so haven't managed to get onto the Concept II yet. I have however, just ordered an upgrade from my SIII monitor on the Water Rower, to an S4. This wil have calorie counter and 500M splits as per the Concept monitor, and I'm hoping it will be a big improvement. I do things by time, rather than distance, and am currently on 20, 30, or 40 minute sessions. I might try the distance thing, once I have the new monitor.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    Took delivery of a new S4 monitor for my Water Rower today. What a difference! Easily comparable to the Concept II.
    As I expected, (hoped), my 500M splits are around the 2.04 mark, and in 20 mins I was able to cover a little over 4800 metres, which is pretty close to my last set of figures for the Concept II.
    Exceptionally happy with that.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    5000M 20.41.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    3 x 20 mins today. Last one, hit 4986mtrs. That's frustrating, as I wasn't particularly aiming for it at the start, but came close to a 5K in 20 mins. Last couple of minutes upped the pace and hit splits of 1.52. Didn't think I could do that!
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    Tried again today. After 10 min warm up, did 20 min piece, and hit 5037Mts. Warm up made all the difference, especially as I drank one glass too many of wine yesterday evening!

264 cals off in 20 mins. That's a lot of grease!
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    No need for apologies CG. I don't consider your time slow at all. When I started out, at the beginning of May, I could barely complete three minutes without getting pains in the hip joint muscles, and had to keep my feet on the floor some days!

Most days, I keep a fairly steady pace, and hit around the 4900 mark for 20 mins, so I suspect you are pretty much at the same level. Takes me 10 mins to warm up, concentration on technique, and a feel good factor, to hit the 5k in 20, and that doesn't happen every time, but it is getting closer.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    Nice little technique video here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IXAIsc2p52c

From Water Rower.
    Just discovered that they also have a piece of software called WeRow, which is free to download, and can be used with their monitors to race against others on the web, or against a computer generated opponent. I think you can set your previous row too, so sounds similar to the Concept II software.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    5 months in, and I've gone from zero to hurrah! Just broke my personal best for 30mins, and hit an average split of 1.59.

7547 metres. Very chuffed with that.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    20 mins, 5115 metres, Avg split 1.57 Best yet.
  • cfrandall
    cfrandall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group. I'm using rowing (Concept2 at my gym) for my non-running cross-training days. I'm not very fast (seeing some of your times in this thread is intimidating!), but enjoy the motion and the all-over workout. My typical rowing workout is a 5k or 6k session, and I've recently added in a 10k workout once in a while.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    Please don't be intimidated by the times posted here, the important thing is that you are enjoying the exercise, and 5, 6, and 10k workouts are perfectly fine, at your own pace. Get the technique right, and you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll develop, and be able to tick along quite happily at an improved pace. Good luck, and let us all know how you're getting along.
  • EvieCat78
    EvieCat78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My first rowing post: 2.5 laps of the lake (about 10km) in about 75 min. Single scull. Weather: sunny and cool, slight cross-wind :smile:
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    So, my rowing club ask us to row on the erg machines once a week and then post our scores, last week was two 15 minute sets, we weren't watching any numbers at that point, but I took a picture of my numbers anyway, and then this week we were asked to look at numbers and stay within 18-23 s/m and do two 20 min sets.

Last week 2x15min sets:
    1st - 2:34/500m with a total of 2628m (25s/m)
    2nd - 2877m, 21s/m and didn't get my split as i was on the wrong screen, I did burn 150cals though! lol

This week 2x20min sets:
    1st - 2:36/500m - 3865m 26s/m
    2nd - 2:35/500m - 3883m 24s/m

Have a ways to go! lol
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    Had a bit of a fail yesterday through tiredness, so cut my session short.
    Ate a bowl of beef stew and potatoes last night, to try and put some energy back in.
    What a difference today! Did an effortless 30mins, rating a steady 26, heart rate a constant 124, and easily hit my 7.4K+ target.
    Just goes to show, you can't run on empty all the time.
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    Hey Elle, at this stage, that looks pretty fine, and quite a bit above average. A few more sessions, and you'll break 2.30 splits for 20 mins easy!
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    That sounds nice EvieCat. Haven't managed to get into a boat for a while, and being out on a lake makes me a tinge green.
  • Elle408
    Options
    Hey Elle, at this stage, that looks pretty fine, and quite a bit above average. A few more sessions, and you'll break 2.30 splits for 20 mins easy!

I hope so! I peeked at the senior crews scores and they're averaging 2:05 - but they've had a years more practice than me! We're out on the water tomorrow and then have more erg session on Sunday, just 2x500m though so I'm going to really push it and see if I can get under the 2:30's!

I couldn't imagine an effortless 7.4k+ Barely 4k does me in! lol
  • DavidMW1
    Options
    2.05 splits is why they are the seniors!

For your 2 x 500m, just remember to do some feet out, and fixed seat rowing, as part of your warm up, that will help get you into the right posture. It's all about maintaining the technique whilst the body's under stress.

I think you might surprise yourself.

Good luck.
  • Elle408
    Options
    I was really worried before doing the 500's because I wanted to get it right and really knock down my splits. It did go ok, I went to a different gym where I was rowing in front of a mirror so I could really focus on my technique which I think helped!

The two 500's were 1. 2:17 with a rate of 26 and 2. 2:14 with a rate of 27.

I then decided to try a 5K and just see how I get on, no pressure to get great splits etc. Just wanted to finish and maintain my technique as my arms get sloppy when I get tired.

Avg split was 2:33, with a rate of 24 and overall time was 25:33 - there was definitely less strain on my back, but I don't feel like I was getting the power out of my legs that I should have been. I'm always bow side on the water which you can see when I'm on the erg with the way that I lean, which I thought was quite interesting! I think I'm going to do my own 5K once a week just to see how I improve on that without the pressure of having to record scores anywhere!