How are my fellow new non-smokers doing?

Options

Replies

• bvjmom
    bvjmom Posts: 5
    Options
    congrats tomorrow will be my quit date so we will be in it together!! good luck
  • akhitk
    akhitk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free since 2/7/12, so there's 6 months between me & my last cigarette. The one thing that keeps me from lighting up is the thought of having to try to quit again or, worse, not quitting at all! After 44 days of being free from burning chemicals & carcinogens, I hit a breaking point - thought I was going crazy. Turned out that quitting the nicotine replacement made that go away. Whew - glad I figured that one out but that e-cig got me going & for that I am really grateful! Do what every you can to get your quit on! You won't regret it 6 months later!
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free since 2/7/12, so there's 6 months between me & my last cigarette. The one thing that keeps me from lighting up is the thought of having to try to quit again or, worse, not quitting at all! After 44 days of being free from burning chemicals & carcinogens, I hit a breaking point - thought I was going crazy. Turned out that quitting the nicotine replacement made that go away. Whew - glad I figured that one out but that e-cig got me going & for that I am really grateful! Do what every you can to get your quit on! You won't regret it 6 months later!

This is why I am convinced cold turkey is the best way.

I have nothing to quit now. I could have done patches but I would still be addicted to nicotine now. I can honestly say I will never smoke again. And it feels great.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I will never smoke again. And it feels great.
    congrats!

i am doing well although still thinking about cigarettes a lot, 29 days, 2 hours, 35 minutes and 47 seconds smoke free
    Cigarettes NOT smoked: 291
    Money Saved: $86.27
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    This is why I am convinced cold turkey is the best way.

I have nothing to quit now. I could have done patches but I would still be addicted to nicotine now. I can honestly say I will never smoke again. And it feels great.

I agree. I didn't want to have to quit cigs THEN quit the nicotine replacement after that. I just wanted to go through quitting once and be done with it. However, I am all for whatever works to get people to quit whether it be cold turkey, e-cigs, the patch, etc. but in my mind, cold turkey made the most sense to me.

I just got back from vacation. I always LOVED vacation cigarettes. I would always smoke more than usual on vacation since I was out of my normal routine and I had the "Hey, it's vacation!" mentality. I only had a few fleeting moments where I thought "I'd like a cigarette now" but the thought passed as soon as it came. I can't believe I am at the point when the thought of smoking is so quick to pass. In those first few weeks it felt like I would never be able to stop craving them and thinking about them. How far I have come. I haven't even looked at my QuitNow app in ages. I just checked it out though to see how far I have come. My stats as of right now:

58 days without a cig
    584 cigs not smoked (!!!)
    $262.80 saved
  • melsinct
    Options
    I just checked my QuitNow app...

79 days cigarette free
    $356.85 saved!

I still get cravings here and there (like maybe 2-3 times a week) but they pass super quickly so I give them no more than 10 seconds of thought. Also, it isn't like those early awful cravings, it is much more tolerable than that! I hope everyone else is doing well now that they are breathing easier!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    55 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes and 9 seconds since my last cigarette

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 552

Money Saved: $163.62

i still think about them a fair amount but staying strong
  • Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 315. In less than two months I'll be one year quit and I'm so happy!
  • melsinct
    Options
    Wow, congratulations Shishkeberry. That is a great achievement!
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Starting again today, I caved to the urges over weekend, If i have to I will jut keep quitting until this brain and body of mine realize I am serious! Just have to stop being so wimpy and giving in to them, they are very pushy in my defense,.
  • jllove871
    Options
    It was hard to pick up (remember how nasty the firs one was) and harder to put down!
  • jllove871
    Options
    6 days, 7 hours smoke free over here

Good for you, I knew you would be doing well!
  • Squashypig
    Squashypig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    6 days 'real cig' free for me. I'm using e cigs and I thinks it's amazing! I don't crave a real one at all. I had my e cig a week before my husband got one so we were still buying a pack of cigs a day for him. I did have the odd one with him and can honestly say it choked me....revolting! Got every confidence that this time is the very last time for me :smile:
  • sscad
    sscad Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks Melsinct :) I do want to pick that up if I can find a free version online or in the library- I've heard such great things about it but even on Amazon it was $26 with shipping. Thankfully the "I need a cig" phase passed and even though I'm still in a mood, I'd be feeling a lot worse if I had given in. One day at a time, right?

Oh my gosh, I was going to say the same thing before you said it yourself: one day at a time! I was choosing to go on walks/runs when I had an urge, and similar to you, it didn't really work (though it is now, but during the first few days, heck no). But when I sucked those few moments of absolute hell up, I felt INCREDIBLE the next day.

Kind of like with dieting- which, yes, caving in for just one cigarette leads to greater potential problems than caving in to a cupcake (one cigarette can lead to relapse and back into being a smoker, I don't think one cupcake would be that crazy strong to lead to a complete binging hell every day of the rest of your life....well, unless it's a super delicious cupcake, haha). BUT ANYWAY, it is like dieting in the sense that sure, I've learned to wake up the next morning after a bad day of eating and just accept it and simply start over like it didn't happen, but those mornings after a day of good decisions and conquering my cravings? THEY ARE AWESOME.

So yes, one day at a time. :)
  • sscad
    Options
    I'm on day 315. In less than two months I'll be one year quit and I'm so happy!

Holy moly, that's incredible.
  • sscad
    Options
    So yesterday was one week for me. Since I wasn't much of a heavy smoker to begin with (only 3-5 a day), I didn't think there would be that much of a physical difference. But boy was I wrong. Not sure if it's just all mental, but here's the deal:

So I've been working my way up to be able to jog (maybe one day, run) this 4.2 mile trail. I've been doing 1.5min walk/1.5min jog intervals for a couple of weeks, and just last Tuesday (my quit date) I increased it to 1min walk/2min jog. I was barely even able to do 30 minutes. But yesterday? Yesterday I was able to 1min walk/2min jog the whole 4.2 miles (about 50-60mins) WITH EASE. Woot woot!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was one week for me. Since I wasn't much of a heavy smoker to begin with (only 3-5 a day), I didn't think there would be that much of a physical difference. But boy was I wrong. Not sure if it's just all mental, but here's the deal:

So I've been working my way up to be able to jog (maybe one day, run) this 4.2 mile trail. I've been doing 1.5min walk/1.5min jog intervals for a couple of weeks, and just last Tuesday (my quit date) I increased it to 1min walk/2min jog. I was barely even able to do 30 minutes. But yesterday? Yesterday I was able to 1min walk/2min jog the whole 4.2 miles (about 50-60mins) WITH EASE. Woot woot!

Congrats! That's awesome! And I don't think it's all mental :smile: How greatly and quickly someone feels the difference might have something to do with how sensitive their lungs are to smoke BUT every puff does dump crap in our lungs whether we feel it or not. So not having those 3-5/day means your lungs are that much closer to being clean and functioning to their full potential. Nine days ago I was in urgent care with an asthma attack and unable to do anything beyond a flat walk for the rest of the week. Today I did 45 minutes of exercise and plan on doing more later tonight. My ability to work out (and therefore, help my weight loss) is one of the biggest things that helps me avoid smoking.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all of you! Please keep up with your non-smoking. I've been smoke free for 12 years and 1 month. This is from a a former 1.5 to 2 pack a day smoker. First thing I'd do in the morning, and last thing I'd do at night. On a Saturday morning I could go through 1/2 pack with a few good cups of coffee and reading a magazine or two. Likewise I could go through 2 packs while out on Saturday night with friends. You can do it too. Pick your date, and NEVER pick up and light that cigarette again!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    8 months ago I quit cold turkey after a blood blot in my leg almost ended my life.Now at age 60 I have lost 22 pounds and work out 6 days a week.There will always be some damage from smoking that will never go away.Give your wonderful bodies a gift and keep trying to quit.Don't let it take 45 years like me.
  • sscad
    Options

Congrats! That's awesome! And I don't think it's all mental :smile: How greatly and quickly someone feels the difference might have something to do with how sensitive their lungs are to smoke BUT every puff does dump crap in our lungs whether we feel it or not. So not having those 3-5/day means your lungs are that much closer to being clean and functioning to their full potential. Nine days ago I was in urgent care with an asthma attack and unable to do anything beyond a flat walk for the rest of the week. Today I did 45 minutes of exercise and plan on doing more later tonight. My ability to work out (and therefore, help my weight loss) is one of the biggest things that helps me avoid smoking.

I totally agree. If it wasn't for my interest in improving my overall physical health, I don't think I would have had any reason to stop, and working out is THE biggest motivation, especially as a non-smoker when you realize how much easier it an be :) Good job on the exercise and good luck with keeping it up!