Healthy (+ Gay) Lifestyle

Options
13»

Replies

• pinkkeith
    Options
    This is an interesting discussion. I think my answer to this is that my sexual orientation and sexuality in general is contected somewhat to my wanting a more healthy lifestyle.

When I was in my twenties I was more physically active then I am now. I'd hit the gym between an hour to two hours everyday. I use to get guys noticing me all the time. When I was about 32 years old I got laid off at work and got really depressed. I stopped working out and slowly gained weight. For some reason I never could get back to having an active and healthy lifestyle. Frankly, I wasn't performing as well in bed as I was in my twenties, but I chalked that up to age rather then my physical condition.

What kicked me in the rear to start getting to a more healthy weight was when I was determined to have high cholesterol level. I was at a high risk of heart disease if I didn't change my habits. I didn't want to be on medication my entire life and the cost of the medication was more then a gym membership. So, I thought I would invest my money into more preventative medicine and got a membership at the local gym.

I do notice myself performing better in bed now. The looks that I get from other guys and girls makes me feel attractive and desired. This has been great motiviations for me to keep doing what I'm doing, but it isn't what got me to start this path towards a healthy lifestyle.
  • hulkling
    hulkling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hmm this is an odd one. 75% of my choice is for health reasons, but there is a small part of me that just doesn't want to be a niche. I have never felt unsexy being a bigger guy at all, i have usually been comfortable in my skin. However, when you fit into one of those awful gay stereotypes (In my case a cub/bear) you tend to attract people who are almost exclusively attracted to that 'type' indeed almost fetishize it. I have only had 3 serious relationships, but in each case I was never 100% sure they were with me because of ME or because I fit their type. In fact seeing ex and future partners of theirs, they all looked a bit like me.

I know this is probably similar for most people, but I feel like if I had a more 'average' build then there is a greater chance of people liking me for myself. It's weird I know, but I genuinely feel uncomfortable being labeled a bear/cub, not because I hate who I am, but more because of the expectations that people layer on you for looking like that.

Does that make sense? Sorry to ramble.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Health is the number one motivator for me. It's hard to get as much done as I'd like when I'm constantly tired. I've been checked for diabetes and thyroid, and nothing there. So I'm covering my bases with diet and fitness.

From the genderqueer standpoint though, it wouldn't bother me at all if these lumps on my chest decided to shrink. I never wanted them in the first place. I used to wear baggy clothes in high school to hide behind. The face in the mirror didn't really look like me, so why bother? Spend an hour on hair and make up? No, thank you. Since I'm not completely FtM, it didn't occur to me until I was older what the problem was.

Now that I'm getting more comfortable in my identity, I think it wouldn't be so bad to look better too. I'm currently in two(!) stable relationships. Finding someone new is not on my list of priorities at all. I'm just doing this for me.
  • mfe0829
    Options
    You are not rambling, and yes you make perfect sense. I feel the same way. Not only is there an expectation for being a bear/cub/chub but there is an expectation just for being gay. There is also an expectation we place on ourselves to fit the label. I am at a point in my life where I no longer want to be a gay man/bear/cub/chub first, and Michel second. I just want to be Michael. I want to allow myself to let the labels go, and expectations of behavior in those labels. Is not easy but I work at it. Ultimately I will love me and accept me for me, as me. Not as Michel the gay bear/cub/chub/man.

Oh, and yes I know my picture is a bear claw...I said I am working on it. That is still a part of my whole.
  • macnutmonkey
    macnutmonkey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The first reaction I had to a recent poor health screening... significantly elevated weight (of course I knew that), but also high blood sugar levels including a high A1C was that something had to change. So, health reasons kicked the weight loss desire into full throttle.

I've thought, though... over the past few months/years as my weight steadily rose that I'd like to look more attractive to my partner of 8 years. If I'm not attracted to myself, why should I expect him to be? Of course we love each other, but I've felt the attraction fade on his part. I feel this is more of a human condition rather than just a gay one.

So, to sum this up, I want to be healthier for the sake of being healthier. Teetering on the edge of Type II Diabetes is scary as hell, and it just so happens I'm a gay man. It doesn't hurt the whole motivation/end goal that by the time I reach my goal (or thereabouts), I could possibly legally marry my sweet man, and look good doing it. On a scale from 1 to Gay, THAT is pretty gay.

Brad
  • exwilson
    exwilson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Far from trying to live a healthy lifestyle, I'm much more interested in looking good. And if that's shallow or vain, so be it. I know I'm vain and I'm okay with it. However, I don't think being vain and being gay are inherently associated. I'm just a vain man who happens to be gay.

I guess to add a little depth, I'm not trying to look good to pick up guys. I just got married to the man I've been with for 6 years.
  • shanehollanduk
    shanehollanduk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was warned that with my family history, that I was looking at being diabetic in 15 years if I didn't lose weight (and I wasn't even mega obese). At the age of 37 that was frightening: In just over two months I have gone from pre-diabetic state to normal, very high blood pressure to safely normal, and dropped 4 BMI points. Still a little more to go.

So my motivation was that I didn't want to be diabetic. That had nothing to do with my sexuality.

Would I like to turn from bear to otter? Well I guess that wouldn't be a bad thing in abstract - but happily married (with dog!), it's not about trying to look good for anyone else.
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I want to say my first reason was health, and it is a big part but vanity also plays just as big of a part. I can't tie it to sexuality mostly because I am in a hetero marriage, but that's a whole other story!
    I do want to get to the shape I used to be in, and feel good when I am at the beach.
    My family has health issues due to being overweight dad, mom, brothers, heart attacks, type 2 diabetes etc. I dropped my cholesterol 31 points last year and it felt great!
    Plus I'd love to rock a cute skirt one day!!
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. The honesty is beautiful!

I've been with my partner for over 20 years. We have both had major health challenges (I had cancer, she has an immune disorder and we are both diabetic). So, yes, health is a huge part of why I want to lose weight, but also as Michigan moves closer to gaining Marriage Equality (come on 6th circuit court, make a good decision already!), my partner and I went shopping for wedding clothes that aren't fancy, things we can also wear to church later, or out on the town. We had to shop at fat girl shops, and most of the clothes there are frumpy or just plain ugly. I could have made our outfits, but we bought them on the day after it was legal to get married here (Saturday-the ruling didn't come down until Friday evening) and by the time Monday rolled around, we were barred from getting married again. I didn't make the outfits because we knew our time was probably very limited. We did finally find beautiful outfits, but it would have been easier if we could have walked into any shop to find clothes that fit.

She is an insulin dependent diabetic, and so far I'm just on glucophage, but my A1c has been creeping up and I hate needles. So, it was time.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    exwilson wrote: »
    Far from trying to live a healthy lifestyle, I'm much more interested in looking good. And if that's shallow or vain, so be it. I know I'm vain and I'm okay with it.

Listen, I was just thinking this! Yeah, I do want and need to lose weight for health reasons, but I really want to look good. I want to turn heads. I want to look awesome in shorts. I want people to be jealous of my wife. Someone made a comment earlier about lesbians typically being larger than straight women. It seems to be true, and I don't want to fit that stereotype anymore. I've never been seen as that "fine friend", and I want to be it.