30% protein, 2600 cals. Can't do it

Options
Seriously, I just can't eat 170 g of protein. Yes, I use whey supplements. Yes, I eat a lot of meat, fage yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, nut butters. Is it ok if I shoot for 100 g and let the other numbers fall where they may?

Btw, I am doing a metabolism reset. Eying to eat 2600 cals every day. Which is hard to do for me as it is without shooting for that much protein.

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I eat about the same amount as you and my average daily protein intake is about 150-170g. It can be done, but you have to really concentrate on protein and make it the priority with each meal.
    Eat a larger serving of meat. Extra scoop of protein powder, more dairy, Nuts..
    For example, I have a protein shake somedays that has 2 scoops worth about 38-50g of protein, milk with an additional 9g, greek yogurt, with about 12g more.. so I can get up to about 75g of protein in one single shake.

Hope this helps
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian I struggled with this initially but I usually get between 110 and 150 g per day now. I've read in several places that you should try to get at least 1g per lb lean body mass (which for me is around 106) so I keep this as my minimum figure and if I get over it's a bonus.

When planning meals I start with deciding what protein base I'm going to have and then make the rest of the meal around that. Concentrate on the protein and the other macros tend to work themselves out.
  • LMPMOM4
    Options
    For example, I have a protein shake somedays that has 2 scoops worth about 38-50g of protein, milk with an additional 9g, greek yogurt, with about 12g more.. so I can get up to about 75g of protein in one single shake.

Hope this helps

Wow. That is an awesome suggestion. Thanks!
  • cafel3
    Options
    @Raynn1 - What's your recipe? What brand protein powder do you use?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @Raynn1 - What's your recipe? What brand protein powder do you use?

Im in Canada, so if you are in the US, you may not have these..
    My "go to" brand is a Walmart brand, Body Fortess. It has 25g in a single scoop. (Stay away from strawberry... BLECH)
    Then I use Exact or Presidents Choice brand from Superstore. Little less in protein (usually 3 scoops is 38g, but still good enough)

My recipe is nothing special, but my favorite right now runs about 500ish cals and 60-76g of protein..
    Vanilla powder -however many scoops it takes)
    1 cup skim milk
    3/4 cup lemon greek yogurt
    1 tbls ground flax
    1 frozen banana
    Tastes like a lemon meringue pie:) If you dont have access to lemon greek yogurt, use plain greek or regular yogurt and add juice of a fresh lemon and a bit of rind:)
  • cafel3
    Options
    @Raynn1 - Thanks!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I just can't eat 170 g of protein. Yes, I use whey supplements. Yes, I eat a lot of meat, fage yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, nut butters. Is it ok if I shoot for 100 g and let the other numbers fall where they may?

Btw, I am doing a metabolism reset. Eying to eat 2600 cals every day. Which is hard to do for me as it is without shooting for that much protein.

Wow, a lot of protein threads today! I'll post part of my post from another thread here too: For me personally, I feel ill when I hit the 30% protein goal eating 2500 calories a day. I decided to eat 0.8-1g of protein per kg of body weight instead, which is the recommended amount for adults. So for me this is 72-91g of protein a day, or 18% of my calories. (I do get a bit more than this some days, but usually not over 120g.) You will get a lot of responses telling you to stick with the 30%, but you should do what works for you. I am still building muscle eating as "little" protein as I'm eating, so for me, this amount is fine.

Are you feeling sick eating at 170g a day? Or are you just struggling to hit it?
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Wow, a lot of protein threads today! I'll post part of my post from another thread here too: For me personally, I feel ill when I hit the 30% protein goal eating 2500 calories a day. I decided to eat 0.8-1g of protein per kg of body weight instead, which is the recommended amount for adults. So for me this is 72-91g of protein a day, or 18% of my calories. (I do get a bit more than this some days, but usually not over 120g.) You will get a lot of responses telling you to stick with the 30%, but you should do what works for you. I am still building muscle eating as "little" protein as I'm eating, so for me, this amount is fine.

Are you feeling sick eating at 170g a day? Or are you just struggling to hit it?

After researching some I decided to also stay around 72-91 grams per day and am building muscle. I am a clean eating almost vegetarian and I do not supplement with protien shakes at all. I think they are awesome for those that like them, but I am not at all convinced they are necessary. I feel REALLY good with my macros and my work outs have been kicking butt. I agree that it is finding what works for you.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My goal has put me at 130 grams of protein per day and it is really hard to reach that sometimes. I have to eat all protein for breakfast ( 25 grams +), eat lots of meat cheese, yogurt and cottage cheese and add protein supplements most days. Instead of having a carb at dinner, I will usually eat more meat. That said, I don't do all of that everyday, probably 4-5 days per week. I just try to make sure I get at least 100 grams per day on the other days and keep my carbs at a decent level. In my opinion, as long as I am getting lots of good quality protein, if I am under my goal a couple of days per week, it won't really make a difference in the long run.

I don't really like the taste of protein shakes, so I sometimes make this recipe instead, it has 28 grams of protein.

1/2 cup cottage cheee
    3 oz Fage 0
    1/2 cup skim milk
    about 1 cup of frozen strawberries
    a couple of Truvia packets

I just throw it all in the Blendtec and it tastes just like strawberry cheesecake!