Birth control!??!!??

Options
x4mygirlsx
x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
I have Hashimotos and have just had my third daughter 4 weeks ago.. Im having a tough time deciding on what birth control to use. Ive heard some can stop thyroid medication working effectively. Seeing my doctor in just over 3 weeks but i dont think he is gonna have a clue about any of it. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Replies

• Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa! well I was on the pill for awhile but dont think its good for me to be on too long( cancers run in my family) so I got off..We have 4 kids and my husband is getting a vasectomy very soon otherwise we abstain..I am not wanting to get pregnant especially having Hashimoto's and we are done having kids...if you still may want more children research your options ....The pill is good and didn't interfere with my meds . Theres also these coils that get put in your fallopian tubes to prevent eggs from getting released, i forgot what its called. Its on you- tube though- Honestly I dont know if I "believe" in permanent birth control but its our only option..kids are expensive ...I will probably cry a few times after he gets it done .!!
  • x4mygirlsx
    Options
    Hey. Ive only ever been on the pill but not since i got diagnosed with hashimotos cos Ive spent most of the last 3 years pregnant lol.
    My partner is probably going to go for the snip too. But they say it can take a year for a man to become fully infertile after it so need something to keep us safe till then. Thinking the coil may be a good idea as from what i understand it doesnt use hormones. And i dont wanna take the pill as im sick to death of taking pills every day. I take 5 tablets a day already. x
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this coil that you guys are talking about...my husband had a vasectomy after the birth of our 3rd child. We are done having children. You said he was going to go for the "snip"? If you are worried about still getting pregnant that first year try the pull out method during that time. My husband had to go back and follow up with his doctor to get a sperm count to be sure that he was "shooting blanks" haha. ;)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you do get on birth control pills, you should have your thyroid levels tested again a few weeks after you start the pills.

Personally, I got off of the birth control pills and got the Paraguard IUD. It's not for everyone, but personally, I love it. It's so easy. It hurt like an mfer when I got it, but it lasts for 10 years and I don't have to think about it.

I really feel like the birth control slowed me down and increased my appetite. Losing weight has been a lot easier since I got the IUD. I'm not sure if it's like that for other women, but that's how I felt.
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I got the paragaurd IUD after my daughter was born too. It doesn't have hormones so it shouldn't affect you.
  • x4mygirlsx
    Options
    Th coil i think is the same as the mirena. an IUD i think its called. and 'the snip' is just what we call a vasectomy lol.
    Thanks everyone for your advice. xx
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My endo swears by "birth control muddling things" when you have thyroid issues--you definitely need to take it far away from when you take your thyroid med. Even then, it can still affect overall thyroid levels, but I have to take it because of ovarian cysts (but I get away with taking Microgestin, which is very low).

(FYI: the studies between birth control and cancer have shown MULTIPLE times there is no increased risk for cancer... correlation =/= causation).
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I opted for paragard - its a copper IUD with no hormones (mirena has hormones). I liked it for the most part except (TMI coming) that my periods were SUPER heavy and I had awful cramps. I am currently taking Loestrin FE. Its a low does BC pill and it has worked well. I take it at night so that its at least 8 - 10 hours from my throid meds.
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    I don't have Hashimotos, but am Hypothyroid and on Synthroid.
    I'm currently on the pill "Alesse" which has not caused me any problems at all. I take it in the mornings, about 2 hours before my synthroid, and it has even helped with the bloating and cramping I have had to endure since puberty.
    Check it out with your Dr.......
  • x4mygirlsx
    Options
    Thank guys, all your advice is much appreciated. :-) xx
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've tried just about EVERY bc out there.

The pills don't work for me personally. I don't feel normal when I take them.

I tried the Depo Shot. One shot every 3 months. Gained 20+ lbs over 18 month. The last 3-6 months on this I cried. And cried. And cried. For no reason. I would cry over the littlest things, knowing I shouldn't be, but couldn't stop. Horrible.

I tried the Nuvo Ring. Every time I had intercourse, it would "pinch" me. Yup. Way up in there. Got to the point I didn't want to have intercourse.

Now I have the Mirena IUD. I highly recommend it. Very, very low dose hormone. Was slighting uncomfortable when inserted. Had some cramping, like PMS. But is good for 5 years, reversible, have very light cycles. In a word, awesome.

Hope this helps.

Val
  • x4mygirlsx
    Options
    Thanks val was very helpful. really considering an iud now. i dont wanna have to remember to take other pills. My thyroxine is enough to remember lol. Ive tried the shot before too and like you gained weight and we def dont want that to happen. So i think other then not having intercourse the iud is the only option.
    xx
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am very happy with the IUD. If you want more personal information, send me a message. I'd be happy to share.

Val

Thanks val was very helpful. really considering an iud now. i dont wanna have to remember to take other pills. My thyroxine is enough to remember lol. Ive tried the shot before too and like you gained weight and we def dont want that to happen. So i think other then not having intercourse the iud is the only option.
    xx
  • tawny75
    tawny75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used the implanon implant successfully for 12 years if that helps.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I used the implanon implant successfully for 12 years if that helps.

I'm not interested for birth control... but I first saw this method... and after doing some reading/google searching this must be "wow!!!!!!"
    I will consider it in a few years definetly!
  • tawny75
    tawny75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would thoroughly recommend it. I have only stopped using it because I wanted my body to be chemical free.
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have hypo and endometriosis. I have been on birth control for many years. When i found out i was hypo the doc sais it wouldnt interfer if you take them 8 + hours apart. I take synthroidin the morning and birth control at night.