Oct.1st Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter

Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,457 Member
“If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.”

Good morning Mad Hatters, and welcome to October!

Many of us have been facing a few obstacles over these past few weeks; but they just confirm our path DOES lead somewhere -
it leads to us losing our excess weight and getting healthier! They may cause us to detour off the path here and there, but as long as we find our way back every time, we will get to our goals! So expect those obstacles to take their best shot now and then Hatters.. but don't let them make you believe you've lost your way!!

When we hit one, we'll just just roll up our sleeves, do whatever we have to for as long as we have to, to deal with whatever the obstacle is, then confidently head back to the path, knowing we haven't travelled backwards at all, nor ruined our progress on our path in any way. Just step back onto the path wherewe were detoured, and pick up right where we left off!

And this morning I've brought a basket of lanterns for each of the Hatters; I thought if we all carry one on our journey, there will always be a light to help show the way any time one of us has dealt with an obstacle, and is trying to find our way back to the path!

I'm lighting mine now!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Snooozie
    I found this post from one of the MFP' on a topic; I can't remember her name to give her the credit, but I thought it was a great reminder about not getting discouraged on our journey and staying on our path! :bigsmile:

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. You can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Happy October Mad Hatters!

Snoozie, I have my lantern lit as well and am on the path to a better me this month. I am here to help any and all of you should the need arise.

I had a busy weekend and it was great to see John and Loretta. John is looking well despite his cancer and Loretta enjoyed the time not being his sole caregiver. (Cassie and I took over those duties). On Sunday we went to Octoberfest in Helen, GA and had a blast. I overindulged in the food and beverage department but walked enough to make it a non-issue. The time away from all of the everyday business at the house and time spent with the kids was worth every second. I think it was just what I needed to give me a fresh outlook.

I hope all of you have a great week my friends!
  • NewBeginnings0148
    NewBeginnings0148 Posts: 35 Member
    Good Morning Fellow Mad Hatters,

Loved your topic this morning,,,so fitting. We all get discouraged once in awhile, but it is so important to get right back on the path again! I loved the part about your having a basket of lanterns and having one for each of us. "There will always be a light to help show the way any time one of us has dealt with an obstacle, and is trying to find our way back to the path!" I love this! What a lovely thought! And, a great way to start a new month and a monday morning! Thank You! :flowerforyou:
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Quick - somebody send me a pitcher of ice tea - long island version.....

The PITAs are at it again....

Carol
  • 1slimlinda
    1slimlinda Posts: 44 Member
    Stopped in to pick up my Lantern. I really didn't need to as I already had one......here with all of you. It now has a name.... Every time I check in, I feel it. Wonderful thoughts for today . Hope you all have a great week focusing on your journey of good health and feeling alive. I will be back, because I know where I belong; the path is worn , tried and true. Its a good thing. :)
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Carol, I have the ingredients in the pitcher and am stirring as I type:drinker:

Try to have a good day!
  • cbmcphillips
    Thanks Tonya....

In the meantime will be sneaking sips of the hubbys beer......

Ice Cold COORS......

Carol
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    My lantern is lit beside me, thank you Snoozie for starting it and thanks to all the hatters for keeping me going.
    The wedding was wonderful, it was not what I would have done if I was planning it, but it was so totally perfect for the bride and groom. On my profile I posted a comparison picture, one from the engagement party Jan 2011, a year before MFP and one from the wedding.

I decided that destination weddings must be what my body needs. The week I flew to Ohio for my nephew's wedding I lost 5 pounds and Lynn's wedding week I lost 3 pounds! But it is not that those were fantastic weeks, it is what Snoozie said, my weight loss is not a straight line down, it has been no pounds for weeks followed by a nice loss. Being able to come here and get and give support are the only things that have kept me on track when feeling frustrated when I did not lose anything for weeks. I knew that as long as I was eating healthy it would happen.
    On the way home from the wedding, we stopped at a starbucks and I said to my husband I will have 3 old fashioned donuts because the wedding is over, and he looked at me like I was crazy, but I was only joking and I could make that joke because I know that this journey is not about looking good for the wedding, it is about being healthy and happy for the graduations, weddings, celebrations and hopefully baptisms that are in our family's future.
    One wedding story. The minister and the groom were waiting on the beach. The few guests were assembled. It was cloudy and I thought at least there won't be shadows in the pictures. My husband and I were walking the bride toward the minister following my youngest. She turns to us horrified. I couldn't imagine what was wrong, I thought maybe her dress was falling apart. Turns out she was supposed to bring the groom's ring and it was still in the room. She and her brother ran back to the room and the 3 of us walked back up the beach to wait behind a little building. When she ran back her dress was flying behind her like a cape. But as soon as she got in line again, the sun began to shine. And we all decided it was just her way of making sure the sun shined on her sister's wedding.
  • cbmcphillips
    @ hairspray - beautiful darling beautiful (aka billy crystal from Sat Night Live)......
    - beautiful simply beautiful.....

Just think 58 lbs down, only 42 more to go!

Glad the wedding went wonderfu.....

Go Hairspray Go... and smile all the way......:flowerforyou: :glasses:

Carol
  • cbmcphillips
    Welcome to the newbies - you will totally love this place! a place to relax, get out the frustrations and realize you're not alone on the journey...

Smile - it will make them wonder what you're up too....:laugh: :glasses: :blushing: ::flowerforyou:

Carol
  • cbmcphillips
    @ snoozie - thanks for the lantern by the way......

"Your word is a lamp unto my feet"

Carol
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Thanks Snoozie for the Lantern :flowerforyou: That's an encouraging reminder. I was at Canyon Ranch this last week filling my brain full of weight loss data and knowledge, my stomach full of healthy food, and my spirit and soul full of motivation. There was a group of about 40 of us, and we had our resting metabolic rate assessed very scientifically and wouldn't you know it that I had the lowest resting metabolic rate of everyone :frown: But I am trying to just think of it as just a number that is valuable in calculating exactly what my caloric intake should be for healthy weight loss. I am motivated to have a very successful month of October:smile:
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Snoozie - thank you...your message here and your message to me this morning really made my day. My lantern is lit and ready to help show me the way... :flowerforyou:

I do believe I am back on the path... But I do know that I will have you guys to help me back if I make a small detour...

Geri
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Please welcome my friend Terri if she joins this group. She could sure use some motivation! Thanks!
  • Snooozie
    Morning Hatters!

I had great intentions of posting last night; but ended up falling asleep shortly after dinner lol; will grab my coffee and catch up on the posts! :embarassed:
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    I'll be leaving for the hospital soon. Surgery is today. I'll be back when I can. Carry on, Everyone! Keep those lanterns lit!

:cry:

kobie! It took me so long to type up my post, I missed yours!! Flew to your status and put a note but know we'll be thinking about you today and please update us when you can so we know you're home!! Big hugs!:flowerforyou:

• hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Have my lantern blazing and it reminds me of my high school motto LUX TUA LUCEAT, let your light shine. Which reminds me of my favorite riddle. What do George Clooney and my husband Bob have in common? ….. They both love women who are taller than they are and who graduated from the same high school! Of course George likes his women a little bit younger!

Terri, Patrice's friend, and anyone else who is trying to decide whether it is safe to jump in with this "random" group of women. Please make the leap, everyone here is supportive and best of all, there is always someone who has been through whatever food related trauma that you may be facing and there is usually at least one person who will be going through it at the exact same time that you are.
    Bisland---No coyotes here! But this has always been the dangerous time of year for me. The end of summer, there is so much fresh fruit and wonderful veggies at the farmer's market. The sunshine makes it easy to be outside and find fun ways to move. Then the days grow shorter, the farmer's markets seem to have only pumpkins, apples, honey, cheese and ice cream. The tomatoes taste like nothing and the cheese and ice cream seem more appealing than apples. And the sun seems to only shine when I am at work. Staying home and reading a book until the Good Wife comes on, seems the best way to spend the day. Too many autumns I have given in and then was shocked when I was unhappy with how I looked in the Christmas pictures. NO MORE. Together we Hatters are going to fight the autumn doldrums!
    But we need to make our plans now.
    Bisland give yourself a deadline, if the treadmill doesn't work, when will you join the gym?
    Snoozie, what are you going to do when it gets too cold for your beautiful walks?
    Carol, where will you be when I don't see you on my Saturday walking to the Hatter Hits?
    Menletti, I am so glad that you did not need to eat worms at the reunion, and dancing is good in any season.
    Tonya, Feeling renewed when you turned the calendar to October is a great example to all of us.
    Mae, do you golf and swim all year?
    TA and all of the teachers, I hope you will look back on this school year and think, September was the worst month, the rest of the year was so much smoother.
    Janet
  • cbmcphillips
    @ hairspray - my exercise / walking routine picks back up on the 14th - after Brian's ECoH - good news is that even with all the "PITAs" in my world have not gone totally crazy......

I'll be doing the dreadmill / zumba & pilates again full force - and smiling all the way carrying my lantern....

@ kobie - not sure of the surgery - but blessings and prayers coming your way from the hatters....

See you all soon - gotta do that work thing...

Carol
  • Snooozie
    Glad to see all the lanterns being lit – and good to know anytime one of us has to detour for an obstacle, there will be lights everywhere along the path, to make it easy for us to find our way back! :flowerforyou:

A couple of notes to start:

CB: how are things oming for the ECOH? It’s getting close… you hanging in?

Kobie: when is the surgery? It must be coming up soon if you had all those blood tests.. hope you’re not still a human pincushion?

Time2: I did Steps 1,3 and 5 this morning! Might have to change my planned dinner menu from scalloped potato with the leftover ham to avoid #7 tonite tho! Love those steps! And your stairs…you are doing an awesome job of hitting them every day; you must be so proud of the changes you’ve made my friend!!:drinker:

TA the pep rally/court where your daughter gets presented is on Friday right? I Bet you’re all excited and so proud! And happy birthday to your daughter today! Glad to hear you’re on the mend; hope the students are o operating this week and being angels instead of the little horned creatures lol:devil:

Tonya: having been caregiver for both my parents for many years, I can attest to how wonderful it was for your friend Loretta to have you and Cassie give her a breather. While I considered it a privilege and a gift to care for them, being human, all caregivers have moments and having someone competent and who you can trust take over for a while is a beautiful gift; I am sure Loretta will always remember your kindness! Am very glad to hear J was in good shape for the visit too! I was totally jealous of your Octoberfest feed; we used to go every October and I’m sorry the reuben wasn’t up to standards! And KUDOS to you for recognizing that all the walking took care of any little indulgence; proves our mindset IS changing and knowing that if we can be consistent with healthy eating 80% of the time, and keep up a little daily movement, we no longer have to “freak” over a little indulgence here and there! Well done!:bigsmile:

Mary: you’re doing so great on your path…IPOU!! :smile:

Linda: what a lovely sentiment! So good to see your post; hope all is well in your world these days! :flowerforyou:

Janet: I’m going ot pop over and look at the pics as soon as I finish this! LOL @ the “destination wedding being what you’re body needs” – I guess so!! Congrats on the wonderful pounds lost and yes, while it’s not about the actual numbers so much as overall health, it still must have been great to see the numbers hange for the weddings! So glad the day went so beautifully, and did chuckle at your daughters “plan” to make sure the sun came out.. bet you had a minute of panic at first though wondering what was wrong! :noway:

Seehee: Lovely to see you back!! How was the week at the ranch.. specially the exercise part? I know you were a little apprehensive; did you get a chance to speak with the instructors afore hand? Sounds like you’re in a great place right now, mentally and physically – so no worries about the metabolic rate.. it’s just another tool like the scale; your positive attitude and motivation will take you far! :flowerforyou:

GSP: looks like you’ve been doing great too .. so happy for you! And yes.. its so good to know when those moments hit, we have our friends here ready to lend a hand and light the way when we need it! :smile:

Patrice – great to see you!

And a big welcome to our newest members Terri and Pam… feel free to lurk at will, or jump in anytime so we can get to know you and offer any support and encouragement we can – just bring your sense of humour, that’s all ya need!! :laugh:

Ok, I think that’s enough for this morning LOL.. have to decide whether to spend today tackling the much needed house work and laundry, or go shopping to find a dress for a dinner on the 18th…. I hate shopping about as much as I hate house cleaning… so it’s a toss up right now; but if I don’t go looking soon… I’m going to end up panicking the day OF. Hmmm.. decisions, decisions! :sad:

Have a great day Hatters…. Aiming for the best choices we can today and moving our bodies for a few minutes in some way will let us put our heads down tonight with a “it was a GOOD day” smile!! :smile:

And try to get one good belly laugh in .. remember it burns calories!
  • Snooozie
    Janet: loved your post, and I have a few plans in place but didn't want to add even more to my already length posts.. don't wantto drive you Hatters crazy with too many LOL.. but... (giggle snort)

I've really been struggling since I started here in July, because the scales have not moved, my clothes don't feel any looser and I was getting frustrated because I honestly felt I was eating better and smaller amounts and being honest about everything in my logging, and I was moving every day; watching my sguars..so I oould not figure out why nothing was happening, logically based on just the calorie deficit alone i should have seen SOME results..and it was quite discouraging. Three months (with the exception of the eye surgery 3 weeks) should have produced SOME change.. but nada. So I went for a month at 1200 cal, then read some posts on everything from starvation mode to road map to eat for the weight you want to be.. sigh.. so I tried upping it after reading some posts on the site, did some math and changed it again, looked at peoples diaries and exercise diaries.. I have really been struggling and finally reached out for advice and guidance from others who were actually succeeding,

And then I decided to look within as well.

So, after a few months of trying to try out everything, I made a decision that started Oct 1st for ME.. for the next 12 weeks I am going to try to stick to a 1200 daily calorie intake of healthy choices, (which appears to be about a 500 calorie deficit a day , and walk 30 minutes a day at least 3x a week. I have bought a food scale for certain items to make sure I am not overestimating the amounts, but I am also going to focus on eating smaller amounts more often through the day. My goal is to make vegetables and protein the bulk of my intake, with the heaviest carb load thru the day rather than at dinner. I am not cutting out any certain foods (I've decided if God or whomever we think created it, I'm eating it, as long as its in the state it comes in... if man intervened, I will try to avoid it (i.e., a potato.. I'll eat a potato, but if man made a potato chip out of it... nuh uh!) I will NOT go psychotic if I choose a less than perfect choice on occasion, or if I am over or under a hundred calories a day; but these are my goals for the rest of the year. I am not looking for a ertain number of pounds lost, I am setting my goal to lose weight.

And I'm very very glad I have you Hatters to help me reach my goal!