Type 2 Diabetic who makes cakes for family and friends!

Options
Hi everyone,
As it say's I am a type 2 diabetic (only new to this) and I am the one in the family that bakes all the treats for family and friends-
What I am after is recipes that not only my family can eat but I can also eat- I make a lot of sponge cakes and things that have chocolate in them or have cream.. I have tried many of the muffins and my family are so sick of them they want the good old fashion cakes and sweets that I use to make- But I might add they have been so very supportive.

If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Shell, how do you feel about artificial sweeteners? If you're okay with them then I have some recipes I can give you, but I know a lot of people avoid them. Let me know and if you don't mind using Splenda/Equal etc then I'll post some for you later. I'm heading out of town right now to visit my mom, and won't be back 'til late.
  • shellanddiabetes
    Options
    Cameo- THANK you so much- I was wondering if you have time (btw there is no rush just when you can) could you please convert them to metric for me as here in Australia we don't use the old measurement anymore

Thanks again.. :flowerforyou:
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Okay Shell, here's the first one:

Flourless Chocolate Cake
    Makes 12 servings (but it's very rich so you might actually want smaller servings!)
    A little heavy on calories and fats, but good on carbs and sodium

250 ml heavy cream
    250 ml plus 40 ml sucralose-based sugar substitute (Splenda, if you have that brand name?)
    12 squares (25 grams each) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
    4 squares (25 grams each) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
    6 eggs, at room temperature
    125 ml strong coffee
    1.25 ml salt (I think! Here it's 1/4 teaspoon, and your equivalent to a teaspoon is 5ml)
    125 ml chopped walnuts, divided

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (Moderate?); set oven rack to middle position. Spray 20 cm round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Beat cream with 40 ml sweetener in large bowl at high speed of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Set aside.

Place unsweetened and semisweet chocolate in large microwaveable bowl; microwave at HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate is melted (watch carefully so as not to burn). Stop and stir it after the first minute and after every 30 seconds after that until all melted.

Beat eggs and remaining 250 ml sweetener in large bowl at high speed of electric mixer about 7 minutes or until pale and thick. Add melted chocolate, coffee and salt to egg mixture; beat until well blended.

Fold cream you whipped earlier and about half the walnuts into the egg mixture. Spread in prepared pan. Sprinkle rest of walnuts on top. Place cake pan in large roasting pan; add enough hot water to roasting pan to reach halfway up side of cake pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until set but still soft in center.

To unmold, loosen edge of cake with knife; place serving plate upside down over pan and invert. Serve warm if possible.

Per serving (1/12th of cake): 320 calories, 8g protein, 17g carbs, 6g fiber, 30g fat, 17g saturated fat, 134 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium.

I really hope the measurements make sense - I've never tried to convert a recipe like that and I have no idea what you guys would call something that I would call 1 cup of flour!! The liquids are easy, it's the dry ingredients that have me confused. Is it supposed to convert to ml or g or what? Yikes.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Lots of recipes at www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com are diabetic friendly. :)