Halloween Playlists

Options
I know it's still July, but it's never too early to start thinking about your Halloween playlists. What movies can you not go without watching during October? I'm looking for something new to add in, preferably set during the Halloween season.

My usuals include the Halloween series, Night of the Living Dead, Dracula, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein Ernest Scared Stupid (classic!), and most recently added Trick r Treat as a mainstay. The rest of the lineup will vary year to year. I'm thinking I will revisit the old Hammer Dracula and Frankenstein series this year. How about the rest of you?

Replies

• BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    I do the Evil Dead trilogy (try to incorporate it as a drinking game)
    Original Halloween Omen and Exorcist
    Nightmare before christmas (yes, I know)
    Rocky Horror Picture Show (see above comment)
    I try to get The Bride in every couple of years
    I don't know why - but I try to get in Time Bandits also
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Poltergeist is a good spooky Halloween movie.

I guess there is also the Paranormal Activites if you like those. They seem to come out around Halloween anyway.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Don't have a specific list of movies that we watch during Octobeer, but we try to make it a point to only watch horror that month. If I were to make a play list, I think it would go something like this:

October 1: Saw
    October 2: Saw 2
    October 3: Saw 3
    October 4: Saw 4
    October 5: Saw 5
    October 6: Saw 6
    October 7: Saw 7
    October 8: Trick R Treat
    October 9: The Ring
    October 10: Shocker (it's bad, but I love it)
    October 11: New Nightmare
    October 12: Scream
    October 13: Cabin in the Woods (I hope it's out on DVD by then)
    October 14: The Lost Boys
    October 15: Paranormal Activity
    October 16: Paranormal Activity 2
    October 17: Paranormal Activity 3
    October 18: The Descent
    October 19: Campfire Tales
    October 20: Cube
    October 21: Freddy vs. Jason (it's just fun)
    October 22: Joy Ride
    October 23: Red Eye
    October 24: Stir of Echoes
    October 25: The Monster Squad
    October 26: The Hitcher
    October 27: The Gate
    October 28: 28 Days Later
    October 29: Army of Darkness
    October 30: The Nightmare Before Christmas
    October 31: Not sure what I would watch the actual night. Maybe Seven, or Silence of the Lambs since my wife likes those.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    Tower of Terror (one of the best Disney Original Movies) took place during Halloween. Maybe that one is fun too?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Halloween 3 is my yearly go-to. It's the only one of them that captures halloween for me.

Recently I added Trick r' Treat as well but there aren't many flicks that offer up that yummy autumnal atmosphere. You could try "Satan's Little Helper" - it's not great, but it does deliver on the Seaonal feel at least.

Oh, and I always read Ray Bradbury's "The October Country" too.
  • BrendarB
    Options
    I really should watch those paranomal movies.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    I really should watch those paranomal movies.

they'll make you go

tumblr_lposm0bIFB1qfjjglo1_500.gif
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    Unfortunately since I work overnights It's hard for me to set up a movie watching schedule. A lot of the time I'll see what's on tv while I'm here at work and watch that. On halloween night I usually like to try and fit in a Vincent Price marathon.
  • d0gma
    Options
    We've started celebrating early. So far, we've watched:

Campfire Tales
    Disturbing Behavior

Next is Shutter (the version with Joshua Jackson).
    We also watched A Perfect Getaway and Pandorum, but we watched those because we bought them over a year ago and still hadn't watched them, though they fit the theme.
  • d0gma
    Options
    Also, when my wife and I were looking at our DVD collection to decide what we were going to watch, we counted and saw we have over 100 horror movies. We ended up each choosing 10 movies and see how far we get with those 20. I've got 12 hour days at work, counting the commute and she's got a part time job and is going to school, so we'll see how far we get.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I never have an actual must watch on Halloween. I am always trying to watch what I haven't seen and am always watching horror. So I set my dvr to record anything I haven't seen on any of the channels that play non stop horror during Oct. like AMC or Syfy......
    Most recent I watched : Hellraiser: Inferno, Stake Land, Demons 2, Clawed: Legend of the Sasquatch, A Horrible Way to Die, Corridor, Snow Beast, Howling Reborn and Creature.
  • BrendarB
    Options
    for some reason lately been wanting to watch Lake Placid again - just to see Betty White swear up a storm
  • d0gma
    Options
    Two more knocked out this weekend. Watched "Shutter" (blah) and "Army of Darkness" (always funny). Also started "Scream."
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a playlist, but I'm going to host an Alien franchise night in the month of October. I'm hoping there will be some sort of deluxe version/director's cut of Prometheus if not I'll still add it to my collection.
  • d0gma
    Options
    Got Scream watched. Still holds up.
    Then we watched Hocus Pocus. I've never watched the whole thing before. Not bad.
    Also watched The Cabin in the Woods. Wife still loved it, I still thought it was good, but not great.
  • BrendarB
    Options
    re-watched the original Thing

Watched Swamp Thing this weekend (that was a bonus for sure)
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options

Recently I added Trick r' Treat as well but there aren't many flicks that offer up that yummy autumnal atmosphere.

That is my go-to for Halloween. I even made a Sam Hain plushie for my husband. :laugh:
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I figured that since things are so boring here where I work I will be able to fit in at least one movie a night while I'm here at work (I work in a group home taking care of developementally disabled adults) so I will be able to get my horror movie marathon in.

Since my friend and I recently went to a horror convention we both agreed that this year we would do a marathon of movies that have the people that we met in them...so after going through my dvd collection I came up with this list:

Hatchet 1 & 2
    Friday the 13th (original plus Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason X)
    Halloween 1 & 2 (remake plus original of part 1)
    Carrie (original)
    Night of the Living Dead (original)
    Saw 3
    Insidious
    The Hills Have Eyes (original part 1 and remake part 2)
    Phantasm
    Masters of Horror: Pro-Life
    Pumpkinhead Blood Wings
    His Name Was Jason 30 Years of Friday the 13th (documentary)
  • BrendarB
    Options
    took in another movie last night - Chopped - was a funny b movie
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    TamAD48 good idea :)

I watched Innkeepers the other night and I really liked it however the love from other viewers wasn't shared. Plus I saw Farmhouse, The Brood and Vile recently that I also enjoyed. Tonight I will be watching Intruders which I am hoping will be a good one :)