Solo Yoga

Options

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I do both ..... each morning in front of my TV to some recorded yoga ........ and also several SMALL classes at my gym ...... at home is fine if I can get it done before my husband wakes up, or the cat's not walking back & forth in front of my face while I'm downdoggin' it :laugh:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Bewitchinglif - how is it going?
  • mkrekeler
    mkrekeler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    New to this group. Awesome info everyone. I think practicing at home is so hard because I always feel I should be doing somthing else "more productive" during the rare hours I'm at home. My hats off to all of you who don't go to class and practice at home.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i have been doing yoga at home most of the time. I have taken a few classes when i first became interested in yoga. I used to have these yoga flash cards that were amazing!They were by Rodney Yee and i used them to guide me in practice. I since have lost them over the years. I may be buying a new set soon.
  • verptwerp
    Options
    New to this group. Awesome info everyone. I think practicing at home is so hard because I always feel I should be doing somthing else "more productive" during the rare hours I'm at home. My hats off to all of you who don't go to class and practice at home.

and what is more important than taking care of yourself !
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love doing Yoga alone, I can do at my own pace and customize my routine to my physical needs. Outside is great, but I live on sun challenged Vancouver Island. I get all my stuff online currently doing routine from Prevention.com.
  • verptwerp
    Options
    My daughter will do yoga by herself in a park or on a beach ........ I'm not that brave :laugh:
  • southernyogini
    southernyogini Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Happy this board is here! :) I am a yoga student and I also teach a few times a week. Considering I live 1 hour from any studio or teacher I have to rely on a home practice. I like Ashtanga yoga; as the primary series has everything for a very powerful practice. I used to practice it daily from 2007-2009 and went on a hiatus with flow and vinyasa yoga. I am trying to get back into a daily primary series practice at home with going to the studio once a week as a check in with my teacher.
    However, when I want to change things up I enjoy yogaglo.com for the monthly membership price of $18 you can't beat it to unlimited yoga classes to some really amazing teachers.
    Additionally I like David Swensons Ashtanga yoga book. It has primary series and intermediate in one book. So much to cover!
    Lastly I do enjoy Melina Menza's seasonal vinyasa book. It has 3 practices for each season (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced) and additionally has some general sequences for hip opening, restorative, back care, etc...
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I find the videos my teachers have uploaded and others on You Tube really useful for home practise but there is no substute for a class with a good teacher who can work directly with you and correct misaligment which you may not be aware of.

A DVD cannot tell you when you are out of line - or even when you doing something well!
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a mirror in my studio that way I can see my alignment, It is very helpful when doing yoga alone. Hopfully someday my little town might get an instructor.
  • verptwerp
    Options
    I had done my early morning yoga at home for the last few days ....... and yoga classes were cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy ...... am starting to feel the aches & pains of not stretching out daily ...... what a difference that makes !
  • zenmummy
    zenmummy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As a busy working mother, I wish I had learned the value of solo yoga years ago. About ten years ago when I was living in Ghana I had an amazing teacher, who I saw a couple of times a week for six months. Every lesson ended with an encouragement to start building my own practice.

It is only this year, when back pain and a general feeling of sluggishness made me reexamine my daily routine that I have built yoga into my life, just about every day.

I rely heavily on yogaglo. I am learning a lot from the teachers and find there is always a class to fit my mood and my body's "quirks of the day". I still value the occasional class and would love to go on a yoga retreat.

My first thought in the morning is finding a class to do, rather than allowing a multitude of responsibilities to crush in. Sometimes they start filtering through during my class, but usually in the middle of a deep breath!
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I like the Elements am/pm yoga DVD. It has two 30 minute practices, one for mornings and one for evenings.

Although I enjoy yoga classes I can't get to one every week and so do a lot at home by myself.
  • matthew8387
    Options
    doyogawithme.com is really god and has a wide variety of routines for all levels and types of practice!
  • abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this link - I'm going give the yoga / pilates fusion class a go later today. I've been really appreciated people sharing their favourite online stuff - I can't afford a class right now, but I'm starting to feel wealthy in yoga teachers and possibilities :smile:
  • abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did the yoga pilates fusion intermediate class with Kim on this website - very lovely. She makes you smile even whilst holding stuff to shaking :smile:
  • verptwerp
    Options
    doyogawithme.com is really good and has a wide variety of routines for all levels and types of practice!

^
    I did the beginner "Burned-out to Bliss" session this morning ....... it was just what I needed ..... very relaxing, in fact, I almost fell asleep to it ...... now off to the gym for cardio & weights ...... then foodshopping ..... only healthy stuff, of course :drinker:

Have a good one !
  • zenmummy
    zenmummy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    doyogawithme.com is really god and has a wide variety of routines for all levels and types of practice!

This website is a find!
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for this link.
    What a wonderful site
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a class joiner, but that has proven to be difficult lately with my schedule. I have a few dvds to follow at home and a couple of books. I find that even though I am a reader, books for physical activities don't really work for me. I do much better with verbal instructions and physical cues. I do wonder for those of you who practice primarily on your own do you watch dvds (or read books) at memorize the moves first? do you practice along with the dvd? Or do you read through a pose sequence and practice that until you are ready to move on and then read through the next sequence to practice? I feel as though I am supposed to know what I am doing when I get on my mat but then I find myself a bit lost unless someone is talking me through a series.