First blood-work since diagnosis

Options
2»

Replies

• Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I got the results of my lipid test today too - down from total cholesterol of 308 to 207 in three months. Thank you very much MFP!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Nice.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Cameo, that is a great report from you doctor and it is always so rewarding when we can see our hard work paying off. Not so good about the flu shot. I'm recovering from a cold or flu not sure which. I plan to get a flu shot as soon as I know I am over this. I haven't ever had a bad reaction but I haven't ever had one as a prediabetic.
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress! Keep on truckin'!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I actually asked the nurse at one of the store flu shot tables and she thought your reaction may have been caused by having both shots at the same time. She said she hadn't talked to anyone who had a bad reaction this year. The nurse who did my shot said the same thing and that perhaps you were already coming down with something and the shot made it worse.

Before you give up on the flu shots try one next year without the pneumonia one and see how it goes. I got my pneumonia shot about 14 years ago so just do the flu shot now. Since I started getting the flu shot I've had the flu once and it was way better than the 2 times I had it without the flu shot. Once I had 105 deg fever, my kids thought I was going to die but my husband at the time wouldn't take me to the dr. and neither of my kids could drive at the time. They almost called an ambulance because that fever ran for over 24 hrs. Once it broke it took days to get below 102. It took me over six months to recover from that one. The other one wasn't as bad but it still took me a few months to recover. The time I got sick with a shot I felt like crap but was down for a few days and recovered fully in about 2 or 3 weeks.

I think one year I felt crummy for a couple days after my shot but for the most part I just have a little local tenderness for a day or two.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did wonder a bit if it might be the combination of the two shots but I was blaming it on the flu shot because all my local reaction was at that injection site. Not logical, I know. Also, I was coming off of a UTI at the time too, which may have influenced things.

Yeah, I'll probably let her talk me into it again next year, just to see how it goes, but I'll make sure it's when I have nothing planned and nothing due at work, just in case! I do know that it's far better for us not to get the flu, but it was aggravating to feel so miserable from trying to prevent getting sick, especially since I can't even remember the last time I actually caught the flu. I know it's been well over a decade.

Thanks for thinking of me though! Especially enough to check with others about the reaction.:flowerforyou:
  • Gbelk1
    Gbelk1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That is great. Keep it up
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you both Cameo and EVAJK. Amazing results. I wasn't aware that getting flu shots and pneumonia shots. Can anyone tell me why these shots are so critical for diabetics?

Again, congrats to you both.

WCUCATS77
    Yes, congratulations for getting on the right track! I've been debating whether to get these shots myself. The Center for Disease Control says that diabetics in general are three times more likely to die from flu or pneumonia than the general public. But they don't say why. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/projects/pdfs/eng_facts.pdf

I found this study from 2010 that suggests it may be due to a compromised immune system or from other pre-existing, associated health problems. But it's not conclusive either way. I hope this helps everyone's understanding a bit. Or at least doesn't confuse you too much. :tongue: Diabetes--not for sissies. There's an awful lot the experts don't know but they would like us to think they do.

"For a variety of reasons, people with diabetes are thought to be at higher risk for getting infections. However, less is known about whether diabetes affects a person’s chance of dying after they have gotten an infection. Some studies have suggested that people with diabetes are more likely to die after an infection, whereas others have shown no link between diabetes and death after an infection. It could be that a person’s chance of dying is influenced by whether the person had chronic health problems such as kidney disease or heart and blood vessel disease before they got an infection. More study is needed to shed light on this issue."
    http://www.diabetes.org/news-research/research/access-diabetes-research/pneumonia-may-be-more.html