Lifting Weights while Hypothyroid

Options
kcvance
kcvance Posts: 103 Member
I'm hypothyroid (diagnosed almost 15 years ago); and taking a combination of T3 (cytomel) and T4 (levothyroxine, generic). I feel pretty great most days, and I try to work out every day. My doctor put me on a restricted calorie (1200 or less) diet and cardio regimen because of my crazy-high cholesterol levels (350+). I'm getting my cholesterol checked again in the next week or two, and crossing fingers that it has started to come down...

I'd like to start adding in some weight lifting to gain some muscle, but I can never keep up with any weights routine - I have absolutely no upper body strength, and any time I lift weights targeting my lower body/legs, I am so sore that I'm basically incapacitated for 3 days afterwards, which isn't flying at work. I'm not lifting very heavy (i.e. I'm doing squats at 45 pounds, or less than 1/2 my weight, which should be very manageable). The personal trainer I spoke to thought I was being ridiculous/whining, but I was literally unable to climb the stairs at my work one day.

Any tips? Lighter weights? Less reps? Very slowly work my way up to heavier weights? Does it eventually stop hurting and I just need to tough it out? Anyone else having crazy muscle weakness even after appropriate thyroid treatment? (I know that's one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but I was hoping that would eventually go away with a change of meds).

Thanks!

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I so know the muscle fatigue you're talking about. Its very strange, and those who don't have hypo can't possibly understand it. I wouldn't even try...
    But, that being said... sounds like you're still hypo. I switched to Armour (Natural Thyroid) & my muscle fatigue went away. I'm also being treated for adrenal fatigue, so it could be connected. Have you read stopthethyroidmadness ? You can go to their website also & get so much info.
    I do push-ups, and I have to say, its very effective! I also play at doing some wts. But I really don't know what I'm doing... I work out at home.
    There is also a different thing happening in the way our muscles work...
    http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/thyroid/overview.php

Hope you get the relief you need soon!
    Blessings,
    Debby
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do weight training and Pilates -- I agree with Debbie that your muscle cramping is probably from your thyroid. Just because your levels are "normal" doesn't mean you aren't hypo... doctors just don't know how to treat your symptoms.
  • kcvance
    Options
    Thanks for both your replies, ladies.

I have been seeing a naturopath for the last year, and she's been wonderful. My free t3 and free t4 levels are in the high end of normal, and the last doctor's visit showed that my antibody levels were way down (finally!). We don't discuss TSH, thankfully (anything above 1 and my immune system freaks out and my nodules come back). My iron, vitamin B, and vitamin D levels have all stabilized and are in a good/normal range, thanks to supplements.

I feel like my symptoms are mostly being treated, though I do still have low body temperature, and low blood pressure (the cholesterol problem is most likely a "gift" from my dad's gene pool).

Like many of us, I was unable to convert T4 to T3 when on a T4-only regimen. I'm wondering if I'm having the same issue with T2 and T1. I have never tried armour, or been evaluated for adrenal fatigue. These are both things I'm going to ask about at my next appointment.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you haven't gotten this response--you may be lifting too heavy, too soon. Lifting can HELP the muscle cramping/fatigue that's symptomatic of hypothyroidism.

Start light. You said 45 for squatting? If that made you sore, go lower. Ultimately, you should be lifting enough that it's just hard enough to do on your last 2-3 reps. Even if that's for a set of 5 total reps, you're still doing enough to tear muscle (a.k.a, create new muscle which strengthens and repairs).

Also, when you are FIRST starting to lift weights, you should give yourself LONGER rest periods. As in, don't start again until your muscles aren't sore. If that takes two-three days the first few times, that's fine. After that, keep going at the same weights/same reps, THEN up reps (then weights). Once you can do 12-15 reps fairly easily at 3 or more reps at a weight, bump up weight by 5% or 10%.

If you felt "incapacitated," it's very likely not your thyroid issue rejecting your lifting, but very simply because you went too hard, too heavy, too fast.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I take Armour, DHEA, a good multi and two tblsp. of lemon fla. cod liver oil everyday. When I don't take the DHEA and the oil I have a lot more aches and pains and my muscles don't respond well. I don't lift due to injuries in my knees, shoulders and elbow. However, I do a lot of vinyasa yoga which is lifting my own body weight. I would def. start with lighter weights and more reps. I used to just do the 30 minute workouts that used to be on TV for free and you can definitely get results. Combine with cardio and you should really feel good and don't forget to stretch!
  • tokataro
    tokataro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that with squats, unless you're doing them on an incline machine (I think they're called "hack squats"), then you are doing 45 lb PLUS your body weight. I don't think I've ever experienced this to the extreme you're describing though- when you did try upper body work, how heavy were your dumbbells? If the smallest one you can find is still too heavy, you can always use a water bottle or a can of soup.
  • kcvance
    Options
    Tokataro: yes, they are the "hack squats" so, its the machine weight only. Leg extensions/glutes/calves are done on the other circuit training machines at a very low, if not the lowest weight possible, which I think is why the trainer was so incredulous about me being *that* sore. Upper body work was also at the lowest weight I could find/lowest weight on the machine, and still so sore I couldn't raise my arms up to get a shirt on the next day or two. Little elderly ladies at my gym are lifting more than me, LOL.

This is seriously frustrating. I will definitely talk to my doctor about the Armour, and getting tested for adrenal fatigue.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. :-)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Tokataro: yes, they are the "hack squats" so, its the machine weight only. Leg extensions/glutes/calves are done on the other circuit training machines at a very low, if not the lowest weight possible, which I think is why the trainer was so incredulous about me being *that* sore. Upper body work was also at the lowest weight I could find/lowest weight on the machine, and still so sore I couldn't raise my arms up to get a shirt on the next day or two. Little elderly ladies at my gym are lifting more than me, LOL.

This is seriously frustrating. I will definitely talk to my doctor about the Armour, and getting tested for adrenal fatigue.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. :-)

I think you're focusing too externally. It doesn't matter if little old ladies are lifting more than you--they could have been at it longer, and ultimately lifting is about pushing yourself, not matching other people.

Like I said, even if you were at the absolute lowest weights (and the fact you're using machines as a beginner isn't necessarily the best, either), if it was NEW for you, you probably needed the extra days recovery. Plus, did you warm up your muscles before? Did you stretch? Did you eat adequately before and after? ALL of these things can contribute to these problems, thyroid or adrenal issues or not. I think once people get endocrine problems, they're quick to jump to it as the end-all be-all of "problems"... but this could be just a standard lifting issue.