Wk 3, ZERO results, discouraged :( Above heart rate problem?

Options
Hi, I'm on week 3 and have not seen any results. No weight loss, no change in measurements. I'm feeling discouraged and wanting to quit. Anyone else go thru this? I thought I would have at least lost a couple lbs by now and have actually gained 2. I'm wondering if this program is just too intense for the poor shape my body is in and my age. I hadn't worked out in 5+ years. Obviously, I can not keep up the pace as the video but if I need to rest I slow down, work my own pace and but do not stop moving. My target heart rate is 155 (85%) but on days I push myself to keep going I have easily hit heart rates in the 160's, 170's and 180's (which is my max). Could I be going to high and this be the reason I'm not losing weight or seeing any changes? Should I just slow it down even more? I don't want to quit, any suggestions? Help.

Replies

• jenjones28
    jenjones28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking calories as well?
  • lovemylilg
    Options
    Yes, I am tracking my calories. It's possible I'm not eating quite as many as the program suggests but I am fairly close.
  • SharYoung0831
    Options
    I noticed I was eating too many when I ate what they told me to, I keep my calories at 1200, and eat what I work out :) Good luck. If you're not seeing improvement on how you're doing the workout, or the number of reps you're doing, maybe just start out with some cardio stuff to burn fat and get your heart used to working? Your heart rate is the same as mine, I hover around 155 the whole time, which is what you want. There are spikes to 180 occasionally, but when I started I was hitting 200! Good luck and if you need more advice I'll be glad to help!
  • lovemylilg
    Options
    SharYoung... Thanks! I took the 2nd fitness test on Tuesday (a day late) and I did see some improvement so I'm assuming it is at least working in improving my stamina and hopefully health. So are you seeing results? How long have you been doing Insanity?
  • idriven7
    idriven7 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi, I'm on week 3 and have not seen any results. No weight loss, no change in measurements. I'm feeling discouraged and wanting to quit. Anyone else go thru this? I thought I would have at least lost a couple lbs by now and have actually gained 2. I'm wondering if this program is just too intense for the poor shape my body is in and my age. I hadn't worked out in 5+ years. Obviously, I can not keep up the pace as the video but if I need to rest I slow down, work my own pace and but do not stop moving. My target heart rate is 155 (85%) but on days I push myself to keep going I have easily hit heart rates in the 160's, 170's and 180's (which is my max). Could I be going to high and this be the reason I'm not losing weight or seeing any changes? Should I just slow it down even more? I don't want to quit, any suggestions? Help.

I'm halfway through my 3rd week. And I haven't had weight loss either. I lost 2lbs in the first week, but I know that was based purely on nutrition. Other than that, I've lost some inches here and there but nothing astonishing. I'm hoping that the second month will be the turning point and the weight/fat will run away.

I really need to get a HRM though, i've been using the MFP "high impact, aerobics" to track my workouts (don't know how accurate it is)

Did you use the formula to calculate your daily calorie needs? you can always adjust it in MFP according to insanity guide.

GOOD LUCK AND STICK WITH IT!
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 5th week and have only really lost about 10 lbs. overall. The noticeable difference it 2 inches off my gut, my thighs and calves are now starting to show definition and my moobs are pretty much gone. The fat that was at the top of my abs is gone now and I'm starting to see that depression that runs down the center of somebody that has a six pack. I'm not there yet, but it is starting to be noticeable.

Stick with it.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    The first time I went through Insanity, I actually gained almost 5 lbs the first month; and that was with watching and being careful what I ate. It wasn't until month 2 that I really started seeing the weight drop off and the inches shrink.
    I think it's just your body rebelling and complaining because it's not used to exercising. I know my body and mind were constantly fighting with each other until my body finally surrendered and started co-operating.
    Just keep going. It'll get better.
    As far as your heart rate goes, try to keep it below that 90% threshold. If you see it creeping up there, slow down or take a break to get it closer to your target.
    Good luck and DIG DEEPER! :glasses:
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I dare to say that Insanity is not a weight loss program. It makes you fitter and more agile though, and helps you lose calories - but so does any other fitness program. The art is to combine it with the right amount of calories, not too many, but certainly not too few. Just keep a slight deficit and do not over-exercise.

I finished Insanity and in the first two weeks of my second round I got bored, my body had gotten used to the exercises and I actually was gaining weight. Now I've stopped, doing an easier Les Mills allowing myself some weight loss again.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you actually netting? How many calories are you burning? Make sure you are eating enough. You want to be netting at least 1500. If you don't eat enough your body is going to hold onto everything.
  • lovemylilg
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have been watching what I eat/counting calories. The program actually calculated me to eat around 1900 calories, which I felt was WAY too much. I tried staying around 1600 -1700. This week I cut down to around 1200 cuz I'm still not seeing any change. I wouldn't care if I wasn't losing any weight so long as I was losing inches but I'm not. I'm still keeping with it and hopefully will see some results soon.
  • phatycake
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have been watching what I eat/counting calories. The program actually calculated me to eat around 1900 calories, which I felt was WAY too much. I tried staying around 1600 -1700. This week I cut down to around 1200 cuz I'm still not seeing any change. I wouldn't care if I wasn't losing any weight so long as I was losing inches but I'm not. I'm still keeping with it and hopefully will see some results soon.

I thought that was too much also. I went the whole first month on 1200 and didn't drop a lbs. I started the second month on 1700-1800 and have lost 5lbs. You're eating too little.
  • 1roseKATgb
    Options
    It's only week 3-It takes the body around 6 weeks to start to see results-The calorie thing is dicey,If you're small like me, you are not gonna eat as much as a big person, your size plays an important part( I mean height-wise.) I know the nutrition plan does have me at almost 1700, myfitnesspal.com has me at 1200, -it's trial and error, you just need to eat clean,listen to your body,and if your hungry, eat! You can adjust as you go along,also stay hydrated with lots of water- I started seeing results as soon as I hit month 2!
    Please stick with it!! Results will happen,just keep pushihng play and working hard!Hope this helps!:smile:
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am on week 5 and haven't lost a pound or cm. Sigh. I worked out my cals and for my height and weight I am eating exactly what they prescribe. My endurance has improved and I am determined to finish it, but I too am feeling disappointed. Just hoping that that magic 6th week I'll start seeing some difference. Just a few cm's at least....
  • annabella5188
    annabella5188 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started week 3 today and I've gained 6 pounds. I travel 2 weeks out of each month so eating suffers... When I took my Day 15 fit test today though I was pretty darned happy! I'm still trying to quit smoking (down to 3/day), Insanity has helped bring that way down and put the kibash on it pretty much! Tomorrow is a new day to quit!

My trainer that I'm doing Insanity with tells me to not worry about the 6 pounds so I'm trying not to worry, I am stronger, my lungs are getting better and better!

I started tracking my calories and water intake today because I think that's a big part of my problem! Again, on the road working so its all take out and no where near enough water. We'll see how I do now that I'm tracking.

Just keep pushing play! Don't be discouraged. How was your fit test?? Here's my records. No where near what I want but if I can get even one more rep each time I take the test I will be happy, it means I'm stronger than the last time!

Move Fit Test 1 (Day 1) Fit Test 2 (Day 15)
    1. Switch Kicks 33 36
    2. Power Jacks 33 35
    3. Power Knees 72 94
    4. Power Jumps 16 20
    5. Globe Jumps 4 7
    6. Suicide Jumps 12 14
    7. Push-Up Jacks 12 16
    8. Low Plank Oblique 22 32
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe the program is telling you that you're gorgeous just the way you are ;)
  • snipalicous
    Options
    DONT GIVE UP!!! I am on my last week of insanity and I know exactly how you feel. Working your butt off and wanting to see some results from it. Keep going though, you will see some amazing results after about 6 weeks. I too started out not eating enough and had to increase my cal intake. I got to the point of not even stepping on the scale because it was too discouraging. I go off on how I feel and the way my clothes fit. I also took before pics and my 30 day pics (which are on my profile). Cant wait to take my 60 day pics to see the difference. Dont give up. I have seen amazing results with sticking to it.
  • fchampag
    fchampag Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The nutrition guide states never go under 1300 cal. So maybe you can increase your food intake. I'm having the same problem as you. I'm on week 3 as well and I gained 2 lbs so far. But I'm going to finish the program because I hate quitting. I heard month 2's exercises are pretty hard and maybe I'll notice changes/results then. Just keep going, and even if you don't lose too much weight, you'll be stronger then when you first started.

Good luck!
  • metimemum
    metimemum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am week 9 now and I felt the same. Didn't lose much after 2 weeks... All I can say is wait till you get go month 2... the workouts are really tough and my body didn't really transform until then.
  • JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am on the 4 th week. I am so disappointed. I am trying my best, trying to dig deeper. I am still struggling to attempt to keep up. I hope to see something soon. Great advice. :-)
  • lawerence5
    Options
    u are forgetting that in the workout u burn up to 1000 calories so if u eat 1200 calories a day then u getting 200 calories a day which has a huge strain on your weight loss it can even lead to weight gain