What do you eat for breakfast?

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
This is the hardest meal for me. I am used to having smoothies for breakfast and I am trying to eat real food. The problem is that I don't always have food prepared nor the time to cook something. I can't eat eggs because they give me stomach aches(nor do I even like them). Maybe I can get some inspiration from you guys?

Replies

• Fitby31
    Fitby31 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    leftovers or non breakfast food. ie meatloaf or yesterday I had shrimp marinara over roasted cauliflower

Today I had a hass avocado & some turkey. Was yummy & filling.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have non breakfast food for breakfast all of the time. Since I started on a pale plan, I admit to eating eggs more often but I don't always have the stomach for them in the morning. I like dinner leftovers for breakfast .
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    Options
    For me and most will say eww I like to cook 3-5 eggs scrambled and add to it while cooking can of tuna high protein no carbs of course maybe some mushroom slices so its like a omelet made by a mad scientist. :)
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I have two eggs, three slices of bacon, and a handful of cherry tomatoes most mornings. I've also made some Paleo Blueberry Lemon muffins and eaten those with bacon in the morning. The muffins are nice because they keep in the fridge for about a week. They are a nice grab and go breakfast.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Generally something to do with eggs. Could be fried, scrambled, boiled or as a omelette and stuffed with leftovers from the night before, you just gotta love eggs. Or maybe I'll have protein pancakes with fruit and butter. Depends how I feel.

Had a leftover grilled salmon omelette fried it's own fat not twenty minutes ago. Omnomnom.
  • reluctantMANGO
    reluctantMANGO Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I make an egg bake or frittata on Sunday and eat it for breakfast all week. Usually consists of eggs, coconut milk, ground meat, and whatever veggies I have on hand - this week's was onions, mushrooms, broccoli and spinach.
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    Breakfast of champions.... bulletproof coffee and a couple strips of bacon done up in the microwave while the coffee brews. I'm horribly useless in the morning so I try not to turn on the stove unless I have to.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Pistachios. Walnuts. Whatever random piece of fruit I have (lots of apples, since I have an apple tree). I typically eat "brunch" between 11-3, sort of snacking between meetings (not hungry til 11ish, but usually too busy to eat an actual meal). Today was pistachios and a grilled chicken salad.
  • fitter2
    Options
    Brazil Nuts mostly, bout 5 or so (handful) and off to work I go
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I can't eat eggs. I guess I really need to make sure I have plenty of leftovers in the fridge to eat for all my meals. Not used to actually having to eat food for breakfast! Tonight for dinner I made a skillet meal consisting of ground turkey, zucchini, and spinach. I threw in some dried herbs and coconut aminos and called it dinner. It wasn't bad and I made enough so that I could have it for breakfast tomorrow.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    This is the hardest meal for me. I am used to having smoothies for breakfast and I am trying to eat real food. The problem is that I don't always have food prepared nor the time to cook something. I can't eat eggs because they give me stomach aches(nor do I even like them). Maybe I can get some inspiration from you guys?

Actually breakfast is the easiest meal to do: one that is prepped the night before... Ill have leftovers from last night's dinner as my breakfast with a side garden salad... Or, Ill prep my breakfast items while Im prepping dinner's items....

If you have the time to prep and cook dinner, there is no reason why you cant prep most of breakfast right then and there - you already are in the process right?

You ALWAYS have time to cook something - just be better about meal planning, time management, etc. Its the same principle as making the time happen for exercise...
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I started with the bullet proof coffee a few weeks ago and I dont get hungry until lunch time. This would be just as easy as you smoothie and will keep you full longer :)

I like the idea of having some bacon with my coffee though.
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    Bacon and an apple spread with almond butter. I also have protein shakes which aren't paleo but there you go. You could have a smoothie with some coconut milk to make them more filling
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Since starting paleo autoimmune last week I have had bacon, olives, butternut squash, plantains (with coconut oil), lamb roast, and flat iron steak.

I am in a rush in the morning so I cook it up really quickly while I get ready and take it with me to eat at work (bacon, steak) or package up things I bulk cooked (squash, roast)
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    This morning I cooked some chopped onion & red bell pepper in some coconut oil. Then added 2 eggs, 3 egg whites and a can of tuna. Sounds weird but it was very tastey!
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I generally eat leftovers from the night before. I <333 leftovers, so I like to cook a bunch of extra food while making dinner so I can eat a variety of things in the morning.
  • aemoomoo
    aemoomoo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have two eggs, three slices of bacon, and a handful of cherry tomatoes most mornings. I've also made some Paleo Blueberry Lemon muffins and eaten those with bacon in the morning. The muffins are nice because they keep in the fridge for about a week. They are a nice grab and go breakfast.

Where can I find the recipe for those muffins??
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I totally miss smoothies too, and struggle with breakfast because I am always running out the door. I have been eating lots of eggs, so can understand your dilemma. Like the others, I also eat whatever protein may be left over from the night before, just started eating bacon again -YUM, and usually a piece of fruit or handful of nuts.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Taken from “Practical Paleo” by Diane Sanfilippo (one of my favs):

Blueberry Lemon Muffins

6 eggs
    1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup grade B maple syrup
    1 lemon, juice and zest
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 cup fresh blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, and lemon juice/zest.
    3. Sift in the coconut flour, salt, and soda. Once incorporated, fold in the blueberries.
    4. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers and fill each about 1/4 to 1/2 full (makes 12).
    5. Bake for *approximately* 35 minutes (use a toothpick to check 'cause mine took a liltle less)

I loooooooooooove these! They are so delicious; my family and I can't get enough!

These are also a hit in my house:

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins from “Practical Paleo” by Diane Sanfilippo

6 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup pumpkin puree (can be canned or fresh, if fresh, cook, cook and strain excess water from your pumpkin before using it in this recipe)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 cup fresh cranberries

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
    2. Whisk the eggs, pumpkin, butter or coconut oil, pure vanilla extract, and maple syrup together in a large mixing bowl. Sift in the coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice and stir until well combined. Gently fold in the cranberries.
    3. In a muffin tin, scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into each lined muffin cup (natural parchment muffin papers work best for lining), and bake for 35-40 minutes.

To Change it up!
    -Add chopped walnuts and/or semi-sweet chocolate chips to the mixture before baking or place some on top.
    -For bulkier muffins, add 3 cups of shredded carrots to the mixture before baking.
    -To make this recipe 21-Day Sugar Detox friendly, replace the sweetener (honey/maple syrup) with 1 mashed green-tipped banana.

**Edited to add Pumpkin Cranberry Muffin recipe (:
  • aemoomoo
    aemoomoo Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Taken from “Practical Paleo” by Diane Sanfilippo (one of my favs):

Blueberry Lemon Muffins

6 eggs
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup grade B maple syrup
    1 lemon, juice and zest
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 cup fresh blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, and lemon juice/zest.
    3. Sift in the coconut flour, salt, and soda. Once incorporated, fold in the blueberries.
    4. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers and fill each about 1/4 to 1/2 full (makes 12).
    5. Bake for *approximately* 35 minutes (use a toothpick to check 'cause mine took a liltle less)

I loooooooooooove these! They are so delicious; my family and I can't get enough!

These are also a hit in my house:

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins from “Practical Paleo” by Diane Sanfilippo

6 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup pumpkin puree (can be canned or fresh, if fresh, cook, cook and strain excess water from your pumpkin before using it in this recipe)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 cup fresh cranberries

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
    2. Whisk the eggs, pumpkin, butter or coconut oil, pure vanilla extract, and maple syrup together in a large mixing bowl. Sift in the coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice and stir until well combined. Gently fold in the cranberries.
    3. In a muffin tin, scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into each lined muffin cup (natural parchment muffin papers work best for lining), and bake for 35-40 minutes.

To Change it up!
    -Add chopped walnuts and/or semi-sweet chocolate chips to the mixture before baking or place some on top.
    -For bulkier muffins, add 3 cups of shredded carrots to the mixture before baking.
    -To make this recipe 21-Day Sugar Detox friendly, replace the sweetener (honey/maple syrup) with 1 mashed green-tipped banana.

**Edited to add Pumpkin Cranberry Muffin recipe (:

thanks!!