10/8 Hatter Chatter. And a challenge

Options
hairsprayhon
hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
GOOD MORNING Hatter Friends!
And to those north of the border Happy Thanksgiving,
Yesterday I read that Johns Hopkins study says if you want to lose weight the magic number is 9. Nine servings of fruit and vegetables a day. So my challenge is that we focus on getting those 9 servings. It sounds like way too much, but I can eat 5 veggie servings in a big salad. But looking at my diary I rarely hit 9.
Does anyone remember the Epcot attraction where the kitchen sang veggie veggie fruit fruit! That will be this weeks mantra.
This week's loss of 3 pounds was brought to you by my sponsor-removal of a cracked tooth- not recommended.
Janet

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a plan, Janet....the veggies & fruits...not the cracked tooth! Sorry to hear that part.. hope it's fixed by now. I may try to make it a no meat , no processed carbs week also.......that will be hard, though.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Uh, oh, Janet. ...I just realized I'm going to blow up my plan already...I've got cheerios for a snack...but, I could eat strawberries with them...that'll cancel them out... ; )
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone,

Janet- Count me in. I really need to work on this so it will be a good exercise for me. Great job on the loss but sorry it had to be such a "pain"...lol

T2- some carbs are ok and Cheerios lowers your cholesterol...at least according to the claims..

Have a great day!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    "If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.” ~Unknown

Morning Hatters!

Janet, thanks for starting a new week for us!

Tonya - ditto on the huge congrats, but will pass on the method that helped please? LOL

I've been making some changes since the start of the month, still trying to find the formula that works for me, and I'm hoping Wed's weigh in will show see if I'm heading in the right direction; and while I'm totally up for the challenge of upping my veggies, I'm avoiding large quantities of fruit for the moment because of it's naturally high sugar levels; I do have one a day right now, but have to pair an apple with some nuts, and I haven't figured out a protein that goes well with an orange yet LOL.

But I'm definitely in for the veggies; I have 4 servings of them planned for today! Better get cracking tho; I've been running a little late the past couple of days and would like to get in a little early today so I can send my dayshift cohort home for her turkey dinner a little early!

Have a great week Hatters!!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to our North of the Boarder Ladies !!!

Count me in on the veggie/fruit challenge !!! I have really been suffering since the summer garden is no more. I need to step up for sure.

I stumbled on an apple chart over the weekend and talk about feeling stupid, 51 years I have been eating apples. I have seen all the different names and kinds but for some unknown reason it never occurred to me that they have DIFFERENT TASTE !!! DUH !!! I know your laughing at the wacky teacher:huh: but honestly it has never crossed my mind. I know if the past sometimes I just loved apples and other times I just couldn't make myself eat them. Well I have now discovered I am a sweet apple person. I purchased 3 yesterday and have eaten 2 already this week. Needless to say I had to swing back by the store today. I purchased more gala's and some fuji today. I picked up more peaches also they have been yummy the last couple of weeks along with some wonderful green grapes.

Well considering in the last two weeks I have had two steroid shots and still lost two pounds this week after stalling last week I am feeling better about numbers and not wanting to eat everything in sight or not a good choice.

Snoozie I love the quote today and relate so much. I keep pushing my measuring day ( haven't since July sometime) but my husband keep asking me about it so I may have to give in this weekend and get that tape measure out. Some of the things I have purchased just before school you can see a difference in how they fit.

Well I am tried and going to call it a night early tonight brought papers home to grade but taking them back with me in the am ungraded. I just needed a break tonight and I took one !!!

Wishing each of you luck on the challenge !!!
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Had to come back to post a stumble across.

Today is my tomorrow. It's up to me to shape it, To take control and seize every opportunity. The power is in the choices I make each day. I eat well, I live well, I shape ME !!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    LOVE it TA!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!!

It is such a glorious day!! the fall weather has finally made it down south, for a few days anyway... gotta enjoy them while I can , You never know when it's going to change...

Janet, I didn't make it too well on my reply to your challenge....
    1: I didn't have enough veggies on hand to eat only them and the lunch room veggies looked too sad and warmed over...
    2: As Snoozie suggested, I need protein ..I know it makes me feel satisfied and not hungry later...

But I will be eating more salads...it will help me get in some good veggies... I can't get past eating full fat Ranch dressing... I need a good substitute..I don't like fat-free Ranch too much, I'd rather just use less of the regular.. having said that.....

...........I'm having trouble with my fat percentages being off the charts...even my sunflower seeds have a high fat content ( which I eat as between meal snacks to curb the hunger monster..) anyone have any suggestions of low fat ideas??

I hope everyone has a wonderful day..
    G
  • Snooozie
    Options
    SOOOOO late as I had a n early physio then did groceries and still have to shower and head into work, but wanted a quick read of our Hatters to inspire me for the ****!

The veggie challenge is for the MONTH of october, isnt it???? (i hope so anyway lol... caause im not going to be able to get them all in every day... T2 will try to sneak in at work and see if i can comup with any ideas but if not tonite when i get home will see what i can do...

hope all the hatters have a marvelous day -
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am also learning the different kinds of apples, it is so disappointing to bite into a pretty looking apple and just get mush. My favorite apple used to be Winesap, but I haven't seen them in years, I wonder if Winesaps just lost their popularity or maybe they are all going to apple juice.

Just wanted to clarify that I was not suggesting that the only thing anyone eat is 9 servings of fruits and vegetables. That is just one of the Hopkins recommendations for preventing Diabetes and High Blood Pressure. I know I am not the only one who joined MFP because sugar and blood pressure numbers were at the point where the doctors were telling me that I was going to be on medication if I did not do something. The report is quoted below. I signed up for the Hopkins health alert on weight management and this was just the first overview material. IF there is anything else that they send that looks helpful I will pass it on.

I absolutely agree that this is the time of year when it gets hard for me to even get 5 fruits and vegetables, much less 9! Today was spent mostly on the road, so I was lucky to get in 3 servings-2 of watermelon and 1 banana. Thats why challenge is an accurate description of my efforts, its not something I will find easy, now that there is little at the farmer's markets.
    Another challenge for me is finding non-fatty protein. I really wish I didn't gag whenever I tried to eat any fish except for processed tuna. I eat a lot of nuts!

Eating To Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
    • Maintain a desirable weight (a BMI of less than 25).
    • Limit saturated fat intake to nomore than 10%of total calories (less
    than 7% if you have high blood cholesterol).
    • Limit dietary cholesterol to less than 300 mg per day.
    • Get 20 to 35 g of fiber per day; include several servings of whole
    grains and plenty of soluble fiber.
    • Aim for nine servings per day of a variety of fruits and vegetables.
    At least one vegetable should be dark green and at least one fruit
    or vegetable should be orange or red.
    • Choose an overall balanced diet that emphasizes fruits, vegetables,
    and whole grains.

Eating To Prevent High Blood Pressure
    • Maintain a desirable weight (a BMI of less than 25).
    • Limit daily sodium intake to no more than 2,300 mg a day, which is
    the equivalent of about 1 teaspoon of table salt (sodium chloride).
    If you already have high blood pressure, restrict sodium intake to
    1,500 mg or less each day, about 2/3 teaspoon of salt.
    • Increase intake of fruits and vegetables to get enough potassium.
    Aim for nine servings per day.
    • Consume two to four servings of fat-free or low-fat dairy products
    each day for adequate calcium and protein.
    • Include plenty of whole grains, fish, and skinless poultry.
    • Restrict intake of fat, red meat, and sugary foods and drinks.
    • Limit consumption of alcohol to no more than one drink a day for
    women and no more than two a day for men. One alcoholic drink
    equals one 12-oz beer, one 5-oz glass of wine, or one shot (1.5 oz)
    of 80-proof spirits.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Evening Hatters;

long shift; but very glad to hear it's the month for the challenge of upping our veggies and fruit Janet LOL.. phew! I did good in the veggie dept and I have learned where all the bathrooms are in the new building for my water intake:noway: but am def going to have to work on packing healthy stuff that doesnt have to be heated or cooked and that i can eat at my desk; best laid plans go out the window sometimes!

Janet - love the info you passed on, thank you! I read the Blood Sugar solution by Dr Mark someone (doctor recommended); he's a little over the top on some things but basically has the same ideas as the JH one - if only my mouth listened as well as my brain sometimes!

I am an apple lover as well; and heard the other day on the news a new study says an apple a day does indeed keep the doc away ... for more reasons than one. But I confess I'm a fan of the Macintosh - I want my apple to "crack" when I bite into it; I dont like the softer ones and a granny smith sometimes is just the thing to mix it up.. but I rarely try new ones either; yet there are so many I really should grab one once ina while just to try! I do NOT like the ones with the little bumps on the bottom lol.. cant remember what they're called but they're too mealy and mushy for my taste.. I just bought a 3lb bag of apples the other day so it must be apple-itis in the hatters!

Get to sleep in tomorrow; no appts b4 work so I'm a happy camper! Hope everyone has a great night and had a great day!

*(p.s.) sorry about the horrible typing earlier.. i dunno why it blanked out "day" .. cant imagine what i must have typed to have it blocked? :smooched:
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Time2

I have just changed my morning greek yogurt. Dannon has a new one that has 10 less carbs, 4 additional grams of protein, and 20 - 30 calories less. The protein helps me feel full longer also so I am pleased to find a new and better option. There are only flavors but I am hoping they will add more. I add 2 tbs of bare naked granola and that's breakfast during my planning hour most mornings.

Sadly I must report I failed the first day of the 9 challenge. We are working together to have more relax time and that means more crockpot meals. Tonight was crockpot pork loin in gravy served over wonderfully dreamy white rice (oh sorry I miss it soooooo ) and purple hull peas. Even had enough to make a freezer meal for the husband and me when the girls are visiting my daughter on weekends. This one is a keeper for rotation.

Last night was CP buffalo chicken served in wraps with cole slaw. In the fridge and waiting for morning is bourbon pork loin with sweet potatoes and apples for tomorrow night. It takes 15 minutes or so to get things ready sit it in the fridge then all we do is take it out and plug it in before going our ways the next morning. It has been a blessing the last two nights not having to rush in and cook each night.

I did good over the weekend with school planning and after leaving school the last two days I have not had to do any work at home. With Friday and Monday off I am hoping to get at least two weeks of plans done so that I can continue this pattern and enjoy more time with the family. Things are still crazy with the students not studying but I am just going to do the best I can and trying baby steps to get them to where I believe they should be, but all in all the stress is much better.

Well time to get in bed hope everyone has a wonder Wednesday !!!
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Gail, how about a protein shake? I've been enjoying "Click" which is a espresso protein powder. I mix it with 1 cup of water and some ice. It's 20 g of protein and 1.5 grams of fat. Another favorite is egg whites. For breakfast I mix them with 1/4 cup dry oatmeal and microwave it for 1 min 45 sec, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of raw sugar and some fruit. I know it sounds gross, but it's actually very yummy, filling and low fat. I also make some breakfast muffins with egg whites, heart healthy Bisquick, turkey sausage and cheese. They're about 13 g of protein, and pretty low fat. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Janet, I love apple season!! My favorites are Honey Crisp but the other day I had a New Zealand which was great!

-M
  • Snooozie
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758377-300-calorie-filling-breakfast

off to work, they really outta add some smileys of dancing veggies!

chanting as i go.

veggie
    veggie
    fruit
    fruit

:happy:
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Options
    Tammy,

What time is supper?? and do you think there willbe enough for me!!
    It all sounds so wonderfully yummy!!
    I like the greek yogurt...haven't tried dannon....yet... I will .

Merobi, I would like the muffin recipe...I jus bought a big box of bisquick for waffles...
    I have tried a protein shake for breakfast...but something about it doesn't agree with me...I can handle them better at night...but I'm a texture type...gotta have CRUNCH!!
    I'll try the oatmeal , too....
    Great ideas , thanks for them all...

Hi Ho, Hi Ho...off to work she goes........
    with her little veggies and fruits

Yea, yea....I know....don't quit my day job...
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    still here... had fruit and veggies today... the ECoH is Saturday - will not log, but enjoy and have mostly healthy choices....

life is interesting, full and fun...

goal for next week - back to exercise - really really miss it....

Carol
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Ms Time2 yes em there is plenty !!! This was my first time to try sweet potatoes and apples with pork after all the years of seeing it in magazines and on tv. It was good and we will have it again. The little one wouldn't eat the baked apples since apples aren't suppose to be baked LOLOL we will have to work on that.

Crockpot is loaded and in the fridge for the morning again. This time a beef roast with potatoes and carrots with a can of cream of mushroom and two packages of low sodium beef gravy.

If anyone has a good crockpot recipe do share. We are truly enjoying not rushing in at 5, cooking, lunches made, bathes, homework, and the little to bed by 8. I could get use to crockpotting 2 or 3 days of the week :happy:

Well I do have a few minutes work tonight but nothing much, just need to add a few questions to a test for tomorrow then a little CSI before bed.

Made it to 6 fruits and veggies today not counting the sweet potato since its more carb.

Everyone have a great Thursday its my Friday and I may just float to work !!!
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    When you feel like quitting, think about why you started !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My favorite crockpot recipe: Turkey Barbeque Take a turkey breast, one quartered onion, one large can of diced or crushed tomatoes, and one small bottle of barbeque sauce. Cook on low in crockpot overnight. In AM, remove skin and bones. Cook on low for 24 hrs or so total. Eat on kaiser rolls or over rice. I make this for parties or freeze the extra. It makes a lot. People have argued with me that it has to be pork, but it's turkey. I put it on after dinner and it's ready for dinner the next night.

I haven't been writing much, but I've been following everyone's posts and cheering you on. I am ten days post-op and feeling great. Surgery ended up much easier to deal with than the fibroids. Yeah! My goal is to NOT! gain weight during the four weeks of recovery. I weighed myself at one week and I haven't gained. So far, so good.

I love the fruit and veggie challenge. I'm trying a new or revisited veggie every week. This week was butternut squash. My mother used to boil vegetables until they were gray. I always thought I didn't like vegetables. I wonder how many other people have this issue.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    very annoyed right now - check out my main page - but not turning to food or chocolate - they think they've won but he who laughs last laughs best....

smiling on the outside - fuming - really fuming on the inside....

Carol