Any hypo weight loss success stories?

Options
2»

Replies

• mlanggin88
    mlanggin88 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I thought I would mention my time in the weight loss world. I have had hypothyroidism since birth and it really effected me in the last year of highschool and college. Since graduating I have gained over 120 lb and to be honest I was overweight on graduation day. Since then I YoYo's with dieting and losing weight. I would lose, gain, lose, gain, etc.

This past March I reached my highest weight EVER and decided it was time for a change. I had my blood work done to make sure my levels were normal for my thyroid and then I started WW. Instantly I lost weight but not a lot so I got discouraged and just maintaned my weight. I think from March through May I lost about 15lb here or there. I started working out but didn't really put a whole lot of effort in them.

By August I had only lost another 3 lb and was so tired of giving up and being lazy. So I made a vow to try and to not focus on the end number and to just be healthy. An old friend was going on and on about this site on FB so I thought I would try it out. I fell in love and started losing weight instantly. Here were my stats.

SW (WW 3/9/2012) 304.2
    EW (WW end of July) 285.0 ( estimate )

SW (MFP 8/6/2012) 285.2
    CW (as of today ** I record my weight tuesdays and fridays**) 263.0

From March through July I lost about 19lb. From August through now I have lost 22.2 lb. Altogether I have lost 41.2 and it feels great. MY SuCCESS HAS COME FROM SUPPORT OF FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND SOME GUIDLINES

1. Keep up on your meds. If your levels are normal you will lose more
    2. EXERCISE (vigerously to moderate) 30 min or more 5 times a week. (I am currently doing Jamie Eason 12 week program.. It works and is simple to do.. at first :) )
    3. Eat Clean. I eat brown rice 100% whole wheat bread, lots of chicken and tuna, egg whites and lots of veggies and fruits. ** I do have a Friday semi Free day that I eat a little un healthy, but istill log everything to stay accoutable**
    4. Lots of water. I drink a sode once or twice a week. Cut out all diet sodas. they retain water for a couple days. Some Teas and juices are fine. But use low cal sugars.
    5. Make your diet your own and find something you love. I love staying busy with crafts decorating my home. also learn some new recipes it makes dinners not so "healthy" and enjoyable.
    6. Keep friends who will motivate you. They do help more than you think.

Wow I have probably gave you too much info but this has all really helped me.

Feel free to add me. I still have about 100lb to go so I still have alot to learn but would love to help motivate you anyway I can.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, the message bit of the website was down so i couldnt reply to you there. Added you as a friend though.

Anyone can add me as a friend :D

Youve done really well so far, a lot of weight gone in a short space of time!!
  • NdianJourney
    Options
    I am new here, and have been reading the forums to get familiar with everything. I was diagnosed with Hypo 2 years ago, and am finally realizing how serious this is for me, and my long term health. In the beginning, I was one that felt that medicine was not the answer for everything. However, I did everything a person thriving to lose weight, and be healthy would do including taking my medicine. I lost weight. Then I stopped my medicine, and not only did I gained the weight back but I began to feel the sluggishness, my headaches came back, and once again my hair started to fall out again. Now I know I am only one person and each person is different. So, You have to do what you feel is best for you. But as everyone has said, Its more than just medicine too.

I have stopped drinking soda.
    I am slowly cutting out sugar.
    I am try to eat as much fruit & veggies as I can.
    I drink water, water, water.
    Exercise.
    Keeping positive people around me as someone said
    My medicine and Dr appt
  • strawberrytoast
    Options
    Just goes to show what happens when you dont take meds.
    Ive never forgotten them but i dont think i feel different anyway, by mistake i took 50mg more than i was supposed to and actually felt a bit better BUT i was going on holiday a few weeks before it so might have been down to that lol

Thanks for your post
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Biggest difference in wt loss for me was switching from synthetic thryroid (levoxyl) to Natural thyroid. I take p-thyroid, or nature-throid is another that my son takes. I was stuck for years and had on-going symptoms until I found a dr. to make the change. I really watch my calorie in take. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat so much, just so i don't exceed calories. Low carb for me is a disaster...I get seriously not nice after a few days. I stay between 1200 and 1400. I also found that cardio works best for me. I weight trained for years and all that happened for me is that i looked like a linebacker, and messed up my knees with squats and lunges. Fat over muscle isn't pretty. I have lessened my lifting to once a week, and I mostly jog or run now. I usually run about 3 miles 4 times a week and walk or ride horses the other days to keep my knees healthy.

Obviously, we all have bodies that run differently. For some the weights work better, or low carb. Honestly, my turning point was new meds and finally having the energy to run again thus having the cardio calorie burn. It can be done, we can lose, it's just slower, and really finding the combo that works best for you.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Gluten free, soy free, dairy free diet along with exercising at least 5 days a week has helped me. My diet consists of whole foods such as fruits, nuts, veggies, and meat ( chicken, pork, fish, turkey, beef). I also stay on top of my doctor appointments and such. Also, I drink nothing but water and TRY to avoid sweets and sugar.

I agree with you on the whole foods and staying away from Glutens, soy and dairy. I only get to my classes 2-3 times a week but, with work and housework I seem to get in enough activity. I also have adrenal failure so, I have to watch the workouts I do so, I don't get to fatigued. Patience and accepting that this is a lifestlyle change. There is no going back.
  • strawberrytoast
    Options
    Im going to do some research into nature thyroid too. Im annoyed armour isnt available to try in the UK.
    Thanks
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Im new to the group. I found out I was hypo 10 months ago. I was a little surprised but knew it was coming. I always tested close.
    So I researched hypo and tried to incorporate what i found. It is still VERY hard to shred the weight. It has taken me 4 years to shed 128lbs. And this last 42 is kicking my butt!
    Best advice I was given was to get moving. I find myself cleaning often so that I move around more.
    Thanks to everyone who posted I def feel more confident and got lots of new info.
    I really believe that keeping your spirits high, moving instead of sitting and changing diet to better the thyroid function are the best ways to shred the weight.

Best wishes!
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Bumping for new folks. :flowerforyou:
  • katoato
    katoato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was sub-clinical hypo (TSH 2.55) and found an endo willing to treat me. I have found that my appetite has gotten much higher on thyroid meds, although I am maintaining the weight just fine. . .However, I found it MUCH easier to control my intake prior to the meds and was having my best losing streak of my life before I went on the meds. Just my experience. :D
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was sub-clinical hypo (TSH 2.55) and found an endo willing to treat me. I have found that my appetite has gotten much higher on thyroid meds, although I am maintaining the weight just fine. . .However, I found it MUCH easier to control my intake prior to the meds and was having my best losing streak of my life before I went on the meds. Just my experience. :D

Depending on what medications you are taking- this is probably true. T3 makes me hungrier, but I believe that's because my metabolism is actually WORKING, thus making me hungrier (although I feel awesome- and thus workout more). Before my T3 dosage was upped, I was never hungry, but I also felt like complete dog****. Just my observations on my own experience.
  • katoato
    katoato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Totally feel you on that. I'm on Nature-throid and the T3 kicks in much sooner (in the first few days) than the T4 (takes your body weeks to produce this) and my appetite was through the roof but once the T4 kicked in it was a bit easier. I agree with you that it's your body getting your appetite back to where it SHOULD be. As to feeling like crap before the meds, and losing weight before the meds, my experience is with very, very mild hypothyroidism - I cannot imagine what a TSH of 5, 10 or 100 feels like and I have definitely seen folks mention that as their experience. In my mind, if you are that hypo, all bets on weight loss may be off until you are medicated. Best to focus on getting yourself within range and direct all your energy to taking care of yourself before beating yourself up about a weight loss program.

And feeling like crap is never good so I'm glad they upped your dosage!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Totally feel you on that. I'm on Nature-throid and the T3 kicks in much sooner (in the first few days) than the T4 (takes your body weeks to produce this) and my appetite was through the roof but once the T4 kicked in it was a bit easier.

This is incorrect. Nature-thyroid contains both T4 and T3, so it doesn't take your body weeks to produce the T4.

As well, T3 is actually created *from* T4, so the T4 can't come "weeks" after. ....I'm wondering if you're thinking of T4 only meds, where it might take a few weeks for your T3 levels to get up?

In my mind, if you are that hypo, all bets on weight loss may be off until you are medicated. Best to focus on getting yourself within range and direct all your energy to taking care of yourself before beating yourself up about a weight loss program.

SO SO SO agree with this!! It's all about getting proper treatment and meds, then the weight loss becomes what anyone else would have to handle.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Bumping this discussion to help the new people. :happy:
  • strawberrytoast
    Options
    I just realised its been ages since my first post.

Im still on the same meds, docs wont check free T3 or T4 in the UK. TSH is the only check they do apparently so im stuck on 150gms of levothyroxine.

I managed to get to 3 stone off again (42lbs) but stopped smoking in Jan and put some back on again so im exactly at the same point i was when i first posted this thread!! how disappointing...all that time and effort exercising and calorie counting RUNNING bloody miles.

Im seriously thinking of self medicating and buying T3 meds on the net to see if this helps. Im due my YEARLY bloodtest next month so ill wait and see what happens there.

Any ladies having great success?
  • Frigs
    Frigs Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have been on Levoxyl 125mg for over 14 years.. My levels were pretty stable throughout..up a little..down a little...but my eating and exercise and sleeping( or lack of) habits weren't.. I'd say the lack of sleep was my worst enemy working 3rd shift..Yuck.

Yearly screening??? My doctor insists on every 6 months else no drugs.

Well..I have not gotten away from 3rd shift but...I do eat better...exercise furiously low impact and weights and tennis and walks.

It has taken over a year just to loose 60 pounds but its gone and it ain't ever gonna come back due to my habits. I have a few more pounds to go and they say the last ones are the hardest..None of them felt easy.

Lots of water - 8 to 10 daily...plus 1 cup of green tea..never soda once in a while a coffee
    Lots of healthy snacks, V8, egg whites, apples, kelp(yup), almonds, greek yogurt and 1 precious dark chocolate daily for mood stabilizing.
    Oatmeal...can't say enough about that..and no wheat.
    lean protein - tuna, chicken
    Chili - easiest meal to make on Sunday for lunches during the week, low cost( I have 3 in college), low cal, lots of veggie, mix in turkey with beef)

I am one of those people who eat around 1200 and don't eat exercise calories back that everyone on MFP yells about. Oh well. In my defense I roll out of bed put on on my work home computer ball and chain and sit there all day until I exercise.

Being Italian it was very difficult for me to give up the pasta..but....it was time and I was ripe for a change.

Hope this helps someone and keeps me honest with more loss and I am at the edge of my rainbow....the path to finally not being overweight!!!!

PS...interesting on getting rid of meds...levoxyl does have nasty side effects..I do take COQ10 to try to counteract them.
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm one of the more rare guys who has Hypothyroidism. I have been on levothyroxine for 3 years now. I have to admit that although I do take my med regularly I will sometimes miss once a week. An issue I seem to have is that I feel all over the place with energy levels, and other aspects. Since I have started eating a more protein based than carb based diet, things seem to have gotten better.

I have been working on loosing weight for a couple of months and I am happy with the results thus far. I have lost 10+ pounds. I may try to eat more gluten free as well as looking into the affects on the adrenal gland. I appreciate sites and groups such as this. As common as this condition is, it's not common enough so as to stumble upon others readily.
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I posted my weightloss succes so far in the forum yesterday.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911688-hashimoto-success-story-in-progress-pics

still got 24lbs to go but ive definitely made progress.

Im on t4 only meds. im gluten free for about 2 months now too. I eat well and exercise ALOT. (well alot more then i used to when i was super hypo lol)

Good luck to you all x
  • strawberrytoast
    Options

Yearly screening??? My doctor insists on every 6 months else no drugs.

6 months initially to get ur level, I was on 50mg for 6 months, 100 for 6 months, 125 for 6 months and then 150mg where i was told I'm normal at 2.7 and they will only do yearly blood tests :(